Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Stock EVO 9 Turbo on E-85/91oct.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2010, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock EVO 9 Turbo on E-85/91oct.

Hey guys! This is my first post on EvoM. I really enjoy reading about everyone's results on here. I thought I would share my stock turbo results from a little over a month ago. This is my daily driver that I put ~400 miles on a week. I am the original owner of this car since 2004, and the car is paid off!

Living in SoCal, appearing stock determined the direction of my build. I know more power can be made with just a few changes. Once I get another car for daily duties, then I will go for a motor build/turbo upgrade with more power and less concern about looking stock.
First of all, huge thanks to Road Race Engineering (RRE) in Sante Fe Springs, CA. All installs, tuning, and maintenance on this car is performed at RRE and I couldn't be happier or more satisfied with what they've done for me. The car still feels very strong and still puts a huge smile on my face every time I drive it.

If I didn't list it, its stock and untouched!

2004 EVO 8 SSL w/135k miles:

Ported OEM EVO 9 Turbo
GSC S2 cams
GSC Beehives
ARP Headstuds
ETS 3.5" FMIC
Nisei LICP
RC1200cc
Walbro 255
SPEED ELEMENT OMG Air Filter
OEM EVO 9 BOV
Mil.Spec 65mm TB
Mil.Spec Ported Rev. 2 OEM Intake Mani
English Racing Ported OEM Exhaust Mani
Titek O2 Housing
RRE Stealth 3" TBE w/no cat
Forge 18psi WG Actuator
Gruppe-S 3port BCS
JDM MAP Sensor
ACT XTSS clutch w/SS line
RRE Tune on stock ECU with E-85 and 91 octane maps using Tephra TPS switch

E-85 @ 26psi:

91 octane @ 23 psi:

The car needed a lot of WGDC to reach the desired boost levels. The boost was really lazy and the torque was hitting late. When they pulled it off the dyno, there was a rattling noise coming from the turbo assembly. I was a little discouraged at that point. But Robert from RRE told me not to worry, as he has heard this noise before, and that the WGA arm is too long and needs to be tightened. It was 2am at this point, so I drove the car home. Still really satisfied with the power levels! lol.

Came back 2 days later and tightened up the WGA. Then went for a drive to log and adjust boost after the WGA adjustment. I got in the car and felt the difference right away!!! Instant spool, instant power, no noise!!! It even felt like I even gained some power, or at least some torque. The car feels a lot more useful and faster now.

I've been reading about how this same issue has been occurring with the new HKS turbo as well. This really made the car feel lazy, and made a horrible sound. Now, no noise and it spools like crazy!

Before the tune, I figured I'd run 91 octane most the time and reserve the E-85 map for when I feel spirited since I put so many miles on this car. Ya, that went out the window once I felt the power on E-85!!!! lol Have been on it since the tune for 6 weeks now. Dont see myself ever using 91 octane anymore!

Big thanks to RRE for making everything happen for me, and for finishing the car on time!!! You guys are great and get the job done right! Also thanks to John Bradley(Aaron @English Racing) for taking the time to give me build advice and convincing me to run GSC s2's. I couldnt be happier with my choice!
Old Oct 23, 2010, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
welcome, Nice numbers.