Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Cali built BBK-B

Old Feb 6, 2011, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cali built BBK-B

Built April '09~Feb '11 by Full Function Motorsports

So i just finished stage 1 of my evo 9 build. Started with just the basics: Turbo back exhaust (no cat), fuel pump, injectors, OMG filter, FFtec boost silenoid and E-85. Results were GREAT!!! I ended up making 353whp 348wtq consistently in the middle of the HOT day. Definately made more power than I expected and this was just the preliminary tune. I'll be back in a few weeks for stage 2 so stay tuned for project "maxd out". HUGE thanx to Jesse for doing the installs, Pat for the hook on parts and most of all to Sean for making it all come together so effortlessly!! Video clips of the dyno session and charts will be posted soon. FFtec FTW. Enjoy.

Stage 2 is now complete up and im pretty happy with the results...so we did minor porting to the exhaust manifold and turbine housing. it picked up 10whp across the powerband and 13wtq. The titek o2 was also installed while everything was appart and i added a lower i/c pipe too. As of now im making 363whp 356wtq. I'll scan in a chart soon of the 4th gear overlays from before/after which also show the same results in power increase.Thanks to FFtec for all the help with this build especially Jesse who came in EARLY to get it done for me...your the man!!!

Stage 2.5 happened due to the clutch slipping on the dyno during a touch up tune in Jan '10. Once the wtq eclipsed 370 the stock unit couldnt take the violent boost spike during peak trq and threw in the towel. I ordered up a ACT HD clutch kit and resurfaced the stock flywheel. Came in early to Fftec and Jesse got everything back in order for me rather quickly. Took a break in drive around the block and strapped her back to the dyno for the finishing touches netting 370whp 370wtq. Once again Fftec came through with Jesse busting knuckles and Sean creating gangster maps...thanks fellas.

Stage 3 is complete! Went into Fftec yesterday to install my cams, head studs, intercooler and retune. Jesse showed up early to get started as usual and everything came together nicely. Stock cams flew out rather quickly followed by the stock bolts. Everything was buttoned up before I knew it so I broke in the cams and it was time for the i/c . Ets core fits great and the quality was superb. While the undertray was off I had Jesse give the wastegate actuator 1/2 turn tighter and crush the diverter valve. Boost leak tested her and on the the dyno she went. I told Sean just let her make what she wants and keep it safe. I was hoping to crack 400whp, but no luck The car is now safely making 382whp 378wtq. At first I was bummed out until I looked at the dyno chart comparison of my last stock cam tune vs new cam tune...it picked up significant mid range power from 3500rpw til redline! Car runs awesome as usual and it definately feels different on the street. Thank you Jesse for your top notch wrenching skillz and attention to detail. Sean...your the man!

Stage 4 is finished! I ordered a BBK-B, Synapse dv, 1450cc injectors, FFtec double pumper and a new omg air filter. The install went smooth as always and the stock turbo was off in no time! Something to make life a bit easier would be new studs for the bbk-b hotside. Jesse routed the new oil feed line very carefully and we were on to the next step. Installed the 1450's, dropped in the double pumper, ran the hobbs switch and we ready for the dyno. Right from the start Sean noticed the afr's werent right so we started checking lines, fuses and injectors. Everything was fine so he mounted a fuel pressure gauge and continued on...still something was way off, but It was late so we called it quits and picked up where we left off in the morning. Jesse tore everything appart again starting from the pumps to the rail. He replaced the pumps with two new ones, checked the hard lines for kinks, checked the rail for clogs, checked the fuel pressure regulator, checked the hobbs switch, buttoned it up and was ready for dyno action again. No bueno. The only logical problem was a kink in the hard line so we bypassed everything and ran fuel line from the pumps to the rail externally...still fuel pressure drop At this point we realize its the pumps and dont know why four pumps could be bad. Jesse decides to mount my original pump as the primary with another new secondary pump and the afrs richen way up! Sean starts tuning and everythings going smooth, but Sean comes in the office twenty minutes later and says the secondary pump is bad also! Inturdnet reasearch showed signs to identify fakes and we had a pile of them (bad ones dont have a patent pending stamp below the model#). Jesse offered me his pump out of his own car, Dave threw it in, tuning commenced and fuel pressure was perfect! Sean dialed in a safe tune @ 30psi and it made 453whp 378wtq! There is still some left on the table, but for now im happy. HUGE thanks to FFtec especially Jesse who busted his *** for two days installing and working through issues. Sean and Dave thanks for staying late to help get everything sorted

Stage 5 is official like a referee with a wistle! Went to FFTEC yesterday and Jesse installed my MAP rev 2 intake manifold, Mil spec throttle body, Omni 4 bar map sensor and an AEM short ram intake. The rev 2 was ported very well as was the throttle body. Stock parts came out and new parts went in without a hitch as usual. Sean pulled my car on the dyno, strapped her down and began working on the ecu. I was hoping for more power than I should want on a stock block, but Sean advised against it. After about an hour of pulls/adjustments everything was dialed in and I was making a smooth 470whp Sean said for longevity of the motor he should pull out 1* of timing so he did and I left with 469whp 393wtq @ 32psi instead. My car feels great and is running perfectly thanks to Full Function!

Last edited by MR Turco; Feb 14, 2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

oh
Old Feb 6, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Wow great gains with a tiny snail.!!

Hey girl do you know how this mustang dyno reads seems to be lots of power if it reads like a buschur dyno.

Do you know what the * was before he pulled a degree??

Great customer service seems like a great shop!
Old Feb 6, 2011, 07:42 PM

reads closely to gst motorsports, but not sure about buschur. should be in line with any properly calibrated mustang dyno. it will run 10's
Old Feb 6, 2011, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evogirl916
reads closely to gst motorsports, but not sure about buschur. should be in line with any properly calibrated mustang dyno. it will run 10's

If it reads like gst;s then it's the same or real close to buschur's dyno.10's on that power is very possible sweetylol..On a dynojet it should be 530 whp..Great gains but the tq is a bit high and smacks a bit early for the stock block.How does it feel on the street?
Old Feb 6, 2011, 09:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
strong numbers. id like to see what it reads with virtual dyno on a road pull if you can log it? it would be a neat comparison. BBK-B is inbetween a red and a black achilles.

were the pulls done in 3rd or 4th? that makes a huge difference.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 09:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
That's a whole lot of torque for a stock bottom end O_O Good power though
Old Feb 6, 2011, 09:31 PM

all pulls done in 3rd gear. thanks for the kind words guys
Old Feb 7, 2011, 06:06 AM

What cams are u running?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 07:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Awesome!

It's nice to see more BBk-B results!

were all pulls made in 4th gear? i know you mentioned it within stg 2, but just want to be certain.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:15 AM

cams are kelford 272 and all recent dyno pulls were 3rd gear. funny thing is, there is still more power left on the table! i need a built bottom end
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice results for a mustang! Lets see it run. be safe
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:41 AM

sick results congrats!
Old Feb 7, 2011, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice to see some other BBK-B results...

Congrats on the new set up. very nice power! Im assuming this is w/ ethanol???
Great spool up as well. Almost thought I was lookin @ 4th gear pulls.

Im curious, Did u do a dual map? And if so, what did it make on pump? I know mine didnt perform like I expected it to, on pump...

Were all pulls done @ 3500? Curious why pulls were started a bit late (for this turbo IMHO) did u encounter any surge down low?

I'll create a thread of mine when Im done messing w/ the tune, but made 400/350on the Reese MD... (ethanol)
Old Feb 7, 2011, 01:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
thats some sweet sweet response

Does it wheelspin coming up onto boost in 2nd gear in the dry? or the wet?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cali built BBK-B