Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

2.3 Evo IX EF3 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.3 Evo IX EF3 Turbo

I dont post much on here but I read a lot. Recently I had a motor that decided it no longer wanted to be alive so I ended up with a 2.3 L. While I was in there I also decided to change up some stuff on the head. I had the head ported/polished fitted with new 1mm oversized valves both intake and exhaust. Then the head was topped of with Kelford Cams 272/272 that completed the long block. So I had this built motor that was running on the stock turbo, stock intercooler, stock intercooler piping, stock intake manifold, and stock exhaust manifold had it tuned on E85 and it made 384/420 @29psi. I realized that my restriction is my turbo, this was at the same time that MAP was releasing the EF series turbos. I got in touch with MAP and had the EF3 sent over to me. This past weekend I had a chance to get the car tuned and the results were great for what was changed. Only parts changed were the Turbo,1650cc Injectors, and a single Aeromotive 340 pump, this is all on E-85. Car ended up making 433/400 @25psi peak due to the 16psi wastegate actuator not wanting to hold more.

This is still on the Stock Intercooler, Piping, Intake/Exhaust manifold. Also I will be trying out MAP's 22psi actuator instead of the 16psi one. As soon as I have more results I will post them up. As of today the car feels great it drives great and from what I have seen it is very capable of making 500/500. Big thanks goes to my tuner Bryan Medway for tuning the car.

Last edited by 5ULW610; Jul 28, 2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
High five for being the first to post results , The stiffer spring should help hold a solid boost curve to redline (hopefully) . Im testing it in about 15 minutes here!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

first step: upgrade the intercooler
second: Turn up the BOOST!!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Yea I have no doubt this will do 500+ easily once it's more sorted out and has a real WGA on the car.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by getsideways
High five for being the first to post results , The stiffer spring should help hold a solid boost curve to redline (hopefully) . Im testing it in about 15 minutes here!
yes my actuator should be here this week and in the car by the weekend and maybe ill have some numbers up by next week if all goes well. Let me know how the stiffer spring does. As for intercooler I am going to get one with a full pipe kit I also want to port the stock intake mani and the stock exhaust mani. This is like a second begining to my build if that makes any sense.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab
Yea I have no doubt this will do 500+ easily once it's more sorted out and has a real WGA on the car.
Yeah once the WGA is put on hopefully it will hold better. Hoping for 32 peak and like 27-28 at redline if not better. I also want to try SD on the setup and see if it helps out any.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Was 25 PSI maxed out completely? The HP Actuator looks to hold 23 PSI well , I cant go mess with it (turn it up) Yet as its Downpouring again , The city has asked everyone to not drive until the flooding dissapates. UGH!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Nice numbers! 433 on on a Mustang dyno is nothing to sneeze at especially considering the boost level, wastegate actuator, stock parts, etc
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

The EF3 is going to be one hell of a turbo.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

I like what i see .. .
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad to see some results, stiffer actuator is en route!
Old Jul 29, 2011, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice results...great peak power. It's tough to tell, being that this is a brand new turbo line, but does it seem a bit laggy? I read 25psi at about 4800 w/ a 2.3L. Not sure how this turbo was expected/designed to spool, or what it should be compared to, but for a stock frame turbo it seems laggy, especially for a 2.3L...Is this graph on par with the expected spool-up range?

I almost don't want to make this post because the turbo is so new and still considered to be in the testing phase. Not trying to bag on the turbo, I would just like to see what MAP and the OP think about how its spooling up according to their expectations, completeness of the tune, etc. We all know the EF line is going to be compared to the FPs and BBKs. This is MAP's "middle" turbo and to me it looks like the spool of a 2.0L Black.

I hope my criticism comes off as sincere and constructive, because I'm a huge fan of MAP products...my best regards to MAP and the OP in their efforts to optimize these turbos.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 04:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by YogSaahoth
Nice results...great peak power. It's tough to tell, being that this is a brand new turbo line, but does it seem a bit laggy? I read 25psi at about 4800 w/ a 2.3L. Not sure how this turbo was expected/designed to spool, or what it should be compared to, but for a stock frame turbo it seems laggy, especially for a 2.3L...Is this graph on par with the expected spool-up range?

I almost don't want to make this post because the turbo is so new and still considered to be in the testing phase. Not trying to bag on the turbo, I would just like to see what MAP and the OP think about how its spooling up according to their expectations, completeness of the tune, etc. We all know the EF line is going to be compared to the FPs and BBKs. This is MAP's "middle" turbo and to me it looks like the spool of a 2.0L Black.

I hope my criticism comes off as sincere and constructive, because I'm a huge fan of MAP products...my best regards to MAP and the OP in their efforts to optimize these turbos.
The "look of lagginess" in the graph can be mainly contributed to the current WGA being used. With a stronger WGA it will come on much stronger. I truly think the current 16psi WGA is not doing this turbo justice. It was non-responsive to more WGDC changes to increase spool and peak boost.

Also this pull is in 3rd gear. If you want to see an example of what the difference is in spool (and area under the curve) between 3rd and 4th check out this thread. Same motor, same dyno, different car, different turbo:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...brd-bbk-b.html

Another, with 3rd and 4th, on a 2.4L:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-2-4l-e85.html

Notice the trend of +100wtq in the low end between 3rd and 4th in both those links

Last edited by razorlab; Jul 29, 2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by YogSaahoth

I would say the car feels like a stock 2.0 evo with a stock turbo but makes about 200 more wheel horsepower. There is still alot of room left in the setup and this being just the start to what the turbo has in it. So far I am very pleased on how this turbo is performing.

Quick Reply: 2.3 Evo IX EF3 Turbo