Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

BR 2.3 - FP Black DBB - 36psi - E85

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Yeah, they do help power, not just make the car loud
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
For some reason i cant individually quote in my thread.. but -

Ya, the o2 dump would help drastically im sure.. but im not going that route. I will make a drag setup where i have a mini exhaust that i bolt right off the o2 housing and it will shoot to the ground and still have a bung for wideband reading.. that will make max power over anything.

==

I believe i gained more then 40whp, but 40whp is a safe number to say.. yes it keeps pulling harder the higher RPM you go.. i took it to 8500 rpm a few times.

==

there's a big difference in the way the car feels vs before.. thats why i feel theres maybe a 60whp gain here, but i cant honestly say 100% because the comparisons were not done on the same road.. what i will say though is, the s3 test i did was on route 30 which is the road that shows my lowest numbers anywhere when i do the test. temperature was 65F out.

==

overall im very pleased with the results. i didn't notice any loss in spool or power loss downlow and the car seems to drive the same as the kelfords, maybe slightly better.. for a 280 cam these are really nice. no wot tuning was done at all yet, so there may be even more power to find.

once i richen it out to about 11.8-12 i will report back if i gain anymore top end.

Last edited by tscompusa; Sep 13, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the power gains started around 6500-7k? or sooner? 40whp is impressive on just the cams!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wanguru
So the power gains started around 6500-7k? or sooner? 40whp is impressive on just the cams!
it feels like there's more power in the car from 5k on up id say. i have to take it out again to really confirm it.. but the s3 test was done on a smoother interstate then the kelford test.. plus i was choosing inclines on the interstate to do the pulls on because i did not want any kind of inflation.

car will be in NJ for evo /sti day so you guys can see what it traps now on the s3's.

debating on taking back to Cecil to see new trap before i cage it so i can have a real 1 on 1 comparison.. cage is gonna add weight.

i will call them and ask if i can go again with no cage.. i got warned and told the guy id cage it but then when i went to go all out the throttle stuck open so i never got my last pass in .. so i think im allowed to go back again and get another warning.

got a nice trailer now also so it will be real nice going to track now.

Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cursedsm
How do you figure? Not everyone wants a loud *** obnoxious sounding car, and he makes really good spool, so what would a o2 dump add that he doesn't already have?

More power everywhere through the RPM range. If he wanted, he could have it plumbed back into the exhaust farther down to keep it quieter. The big help comes from the dump tube and downpipe being divorced, and making a more radiused turn in large diameter tubing. Just promotes better flow period.

Either way Tom, lookin good.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

not too shabby!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:42 PM
Former Sponsor

i just test loaded it on the trailer just now.. the trailer looks like it was made for the car color lol.

also i used race ramps 7" tall ones to get the car up the trailer.. these ramps would allow for a car with a 2" from the ground drop to go up without rubbing. my car is 6" from ground and have another 4" to play with of clearance.

also just took it around block.. i dont know what its gonna trap but it feels much stronger. it made me shake almost just a tiny bit.. and i was pretty comfortable as it sat at 133 before. it is 72F out. feels like a whole different car now.

but yes id have to agree.. i feel power gains through the entire powerband everywhere.

ill look into a dump maybe, but i know i will gain way more by doing the way i want from experience when i did it to my 2g dsm back in the day.

also keep in mind, my car is tuned conservative lower rpm. for those comparing power.. 6K+ is maxed out.

Last edited by tscompusa; Sep 13, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

Wow, nice trailer. That should save you a lot of fuss changing tires in the dirt at the track .

Get that car on a Dyno when its dialed in. It would be interesting to see the graph with all the latest stuff you did.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good Tom! Your going to have to let me borrow the trailer and slicks one time so l can run a good time once I rebuild it.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:20 AM

Tom, car looks good! What would you say you gained (HP Wise) total from going from MAF to SD and going from the kelfords to the s3?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Cant wait to see the traps.

GL

Last edited by Aby@MIL.SPEC; Sep 14, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Debug
Tom, car looks good! What would you say you gained (HP Wise) total from going from MAF to SD and going from the kelfords to the s3?
I knew you would be posting. This thread has S3's and sd written all over it

I'm currently on Kelford 272's and will be making the switch soon as well, looking forward to the track results.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by boosted91t
I knew you would be posting. This thread has S3's and sd written all over it

I'm currently on Kelford 272's and will be making the switch soon as well, looking forward to the track results.

LOL Grant! Indeed it does. In for the results!

Tom, one more question.. Did you notice anything different in the drivability ie idle, cold start, etc.. with the addition of the s3's? I like the way your car handles this drivability in those video's you posted...just wondering if that changed with the new cams?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fantrman
Wow, nice trailer. That should save you a lot of fuss changing tires in the dirt at the track .

Get that car on a Dyno when its dialed in. It would be interesting to see the graph with all the latest stuff you did.
i would put it back on the psi dyno to get a comparison maybe.. will have to see.

Originally Posted by batty200
Looks good Tom! Your going to have to let me borrow the trailer and slicks one time so l can run a good time once I rebuild it.
no one is borrowing this trailer lol.. it was to much $. but i will tow your car on it sure. -- and you can use my slicks.

SD and s3? im not sure.. maybe 70whp. your gains will be drastically different then mine because of the t3 setup and the turbo is restricted badly by the maf because its larger.. you will see 100whp+ gains.

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
Cant wait to see the traps.

GL
I have a number in mind, but i dont wanna say it because im not sure what a true mph car that does that feels like in the driver seat.

LOL Grant! Indeed it does. In for the results!

Tom, one more question.. Did you notice anything different in the drivability ie idle, cold start, etc.. with the addition of the s3's? I like the way your car handles this drivability in those video's you posted...just wondering if that changed with the new cams?
it sounds nastier at idle i posted a idle video in here. it has more of a pop noise.

cold starts perfect
warm starts perfect
drives the same..

if you want a video of the s3 doing all the above i can do it, but its all the same as it did on the kelford 272. (after i tuned it though -- the cams drastically altered the tune -- not drop in friendly.. idle afr went to 11-12)

the kelford 272 seemed more aggressive for drive ability then these s3's do.

so it actually drives smoother imo.. its very weird. but Scott said the same thing.. s3's vs kelford his evo was smoother.. the kelfords are really aggressive cams.. most people dont realize how hard they are to dial in perfect drive ability. (when i say perfect, i mean stop and go driving, clutch in clutch out, no rpm dip, no stalling, etc.. responding like a stock evo)

im installing S3's in Steve's evo 9 with my 2.4L built engine.. so that cars gonna be very strong with s3's in it. he trapped 130 on stock cams so far and ran 11.00 with 1.82 60ft's on 70 dollar tires with shifting into 5 gears.

so he will have a new MPH as well. ill post his before & after as well.

I have another set of GSC s3 here for an evo 8 i need to sell.. will post in for sale section soon.. i accidently ordered to many sets lol. if anyone needs a set feel free to pm me i get them at an extremely good price.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
I have another set of GSC s3 here for an evo 8 i need to sell.. will post in for sale section soon.. i accidently ordered to many sets lol. if anyone needs a set feel free to pm me i get them at an extremely good price.
I'll give you my last 10 bucks for them Tom. Maybe if I can empty my change thing I can get a set of 2150s for maybe 20 more?

Quick Reply: BR 2.3 - FP Black DBB - 36psi - E85