Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

i want a tune

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want a tune

Tuning for higher boost
2004 Evo 8
upgrades-
4 inch FMIC
Mishimoto radiator
Evo 9 turbo (68mm)
injen turbo piping
Cold air intake (forgot which brand, its a good one though)
HKS blowoff valve
Megan Racing headers
turbo back HKS exhuast
Hi-Power HKS muffler
Guages galore
.26 spark plug gap

The guy 2 owners before me had it DYNO'd and he was only doing 262HP and 252 lb/ft even though I've seen many Evo's with similar builds or even less put in it that are pushing 300-350HP. If i were to get it tuned, would it help me have a higher power output?

Second, the car has a mechanical boost controller that's a bit busted, doesn't go below 20 PSI, we have it at 21-22 PSI right now but it boost cuts at full throttle around 5-6k. I'm convinced the car is boost cutting because it's a warning system for the car so you don't put too much pressure through it and blow the engine. If that is the case and the car is boost cutting as a prevention system, what would it hurt to tune it to handle 25 PSI? If that isn't the case, what the heck is wrong with my car? New to the turbo world and only had the car for a few months, so i can use all the advice and help i can get. Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
What are all of your gauges telling you?

Seriously bring it somewhere to get tuned. Check out this thread. He is located somewhere in NC

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...o-results.html

Or you can get a remote tune from TSComptuned.

Yes, you should get more out of it with a tune, and yes you may be cutting out.

In the mean time go easy on it.....
Old Mar 22, 2017, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i had this issue actually when i first got my car tuned and it turned out to be a dead plug, i would change your spark plugs and gap them to .22 or .24 and get it logged, it may fix it. did for mine anyway. i went from 255 to 310 on 8 turbo
Old Mar 22, 2017, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when going for a tune make sure u have a maf instock at a local dealership or parts store i blow one every time i dyno....
The following users liked this post:
redaplatr (Mar 23, 2017)
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by tbaird58
i had this issue actually when i first got my car tuned and it turned out to be a dead plug, i would change your spark plugs and gap them to .22 or .24 and get it logged, it may fix it. did for mine anyway. i went from 255 to 310 on 8 turbo
We did go back when I first got the car and changed the gap because I read somewhere that fixing it would help stop the boost cut which it did for a while but started again. Should I go back and get new plugs? the ones we have in it were upgraded ones from the previous owner, they are the titanium prongs (That or tungsten can't remember) so they are really nice and relatively new (about 5k miles).

Did you reach 310 just with a tune? or did you have parts installed, too? I really want to tune it but need help convincing my dad (I'm 18 but its in his name for insurance savings, technically my car though) because he thinks the car is already "fast enough" and so he wont let me get it tuned.

As I said before I'm new so I have tons of questions, sorry.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by dookgvr4
What are all of your gauges telling you?

Seriously bring it somewhere to get tuned. Check out this thread. He is located somewhere in NC

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...o-results.html

Or you can get a remote tune from TSComptuned.

Yes, you should get more out of it with a tune, and yes you may be cutting out.

In the mean time go easy on it.....
My gauges read normal, never really push it full throttle just because I know that it will cut. The ECU just throws a "turbocharger overboost" code when I do hit it though. The car doesn't act weird afterwards or anything. Like nothing even happened, minus the check engine light but the boost still holds like normal, fuel and oil pressure is good, oil and water temp run 180F as usual. I came to the conclusion that it was prevention system because nothing seemed to change, it was all normal.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
bring it to the tuner/shop and have them go over your car.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Remove the boost controller and hook the stock solenoid back up until you can get a tune.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I say go with a gm or aem 3 port EBC. you will love it. I have an AEM on my car and I can not complain. Also, before wasting time and maybe still not getting good tune results, look for vacuum / boost leaks. Make a boost leak tester and get some soapy water out. Spray all connections and I know the throttle body shaft seals like to leak. New plugs before tune also. Stock fuel pump? Could you be running out of fuel? Hence not throwing much boost at it? There is basically a huge checklist before going to get a tune you need to address. You want to make sure everything is up to par considering it's about to cost some coin for dyno time.