Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Curt Brown 2.15L / S362 SX-E (68mm) / EVO IX / Pump Gas

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I canceled my order lol
Old Jun 12, 2019, 01:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by deeman101
I'm in the same boat (probably literally since they come from China). Very similar shortblock build to OP but the crank is still MIA. It was supposed to arrive April 29th. I'm planning for a backup option. But there aren't many companies left that still make 94mm cranks.
Literally all of the 4g63 crank manufacturers make one. What are you talking about? Eagle, Manley, K1, Callies, Winberg (if you wanna ball out).
Old Jun 12, 2019, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Literally all of the 4g63 crank manufacturers make one. What are you talking about? Eagle, Manley, K1, Callies, Winberg (if you wanna ball out).
I guess we are looking at different manufacturers for parts. I don't want to try a Manley given some of the issues with them (not going to derail this thread with them), k1 and eagle are almost the same thing and both made in China. Winberg....yea unless I was buying for bragging rights I'm not the right customer for them. I actually didn't know Callies had a 94mm crank, good to know.

The manufacturers I did approach: gsc, cosworth, magnus. They all don't make a 94mm crank for 4g63 anymore.
The following users liked this post:
kizzlecake (Jun 12, 2019)
Old Jun 12, 2019, 04:03 PM

Didn't realize K1 was made in China. Price definitely seems steep now.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 06:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by deeman101
I guess we are looking at different manufacturers for parts. I don't want to try a Manley given some of the issues with them (not going to derail this thread with them), k1 and eagle are almost the same thing and both made in China. Winberg....yea unless I was buying for bragging rights I'm not the right customer for them. I actually didn't know Callies had a 94mm crank, good to know.

The manufacturers I did approach: gsc, cosworth, magnus. They all don't make a 94mm crank for 4g63 anymore.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Eagle. English Racing makes 1400whp on the eagle 88mm FORGED (not billet) crankshaft. K1 is also really good quality.

Their is nothing wrong with making things in China. You just need a good relationship with your plant, and set standards for workmanship and material. Buying an Eagle crank vs a cosworth is not the same as buying a Chinese autozone part vs something of acceptable quality.
The following 2 users liked this post by LetsGetThisDone:
kizzlecake (Jun 12, 2019), Strm Trpr (Jun 12, 2019)
Old Jun 12, 2019, 07:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Their is nothing wrong with making things in China. You just need a good relationship with your plant, and set standards for workmanship and material. Buying an Eagle crank vs a cosworth is not the same as buying a Chinese autozone part vs something of acceptable quality.
Agreed. China is a massive country, with a wide range of manufacturing practices. The real value is in a trusted supplier who knows the ins and outs of sourcing a quality factory, building a closed loop business relationship that holds the factory accountable for quality, and carefully inspecting incoming parts for quality before they're sent to customers.

If someone without any experience tried to source crankshafts directly from a Chinese manufacturer, they would almost certainly receive poor quality parts. However, the reason K1 and others are valuable is because they've invested the time, effort, and knowledge into building up that trusted supply chain and factory relationship that makes this work. It may be sourced out of China, but the value is in the brand's value add and quality control.
kizzlecake (Jun 12, 2019)
Old Jun 13, 2019, 08:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Also, Eagle does their finish machine work in the states (final journal and snout sizing, and polishing). Not sure about K1 though.
kizzlecake (Jun 13, 2019)
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kizzlecake
I canceled my order lol
Got an update the crank was delayed until September. Yea I cancelled mine too lol.

Thanks for letting me know about the Callies. Ended up ordering that. Considering the Manley/K1 are close to the same price. Still made overseas but a lot of finishing work and Q/A happens in the US.
kizzlecake (Jun 19, 2019)
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:23 PM

I ended up ordering the k1