Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Anyone have experience with new FP green UHF ? ​​​​​​​

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 02:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have experience with new FP green UHF ? ​​​​​​​

Hey guys, I’m looking to buy a turbo for my 8 MR (2.0L stock bottom end). Im looking to make 500whp + but still want to make full boost around 4k if that’s possible on a 2L?
Has anyone had experience with the new UHF green? And what RPM would would it make full boost at? Forced performance says it’s the “best street turbo ever for evos”. Can anyone back this up?

thanks guys👍
Old Feb 20, 2020, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
They have a dyno chart on their site. In theory, it will be the laggiest Green they offer. The trade-off is less back pressure up top, so it will make more power at same boosts. Here is their comparison with old Red at 22psi boost where it spools a bit faster (since Green is a smaller turbo) and makes more power up top (since less back pressure). I think this is on pump gas, so turbo has a lot left if running E85. But if you want a 4,000 rpm punch, I don't see that happening with this turbo. I expect 400-700 rpm delay (from your target) on this UHF turbo.

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Feb 20, 2020 at 10:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Drivermod (Feb 20, 2020)
Old Feb 20, 2020, 08:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 357 Likes on 241 Posts
No dyno results yet but ayoustin bought one to try. At this time anything with the UHF wheel will come with the SS housing.

Its not apples to apples but I've got a red SS housing and a Mivec 2.2. I see 20psi by 4400 or so on the street.. This is 600 rpm later then the MHI housing I had before. The twin scroll red had incredible transient response before.

Now the SS housing will make more power easily. IIRC my car made 470 at 21 psi on the mhi housing. Then 540 at 23psi on the SS housing.

FP makes some neat stuff that performs well. I'm interested to see any of the UHF results.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
They have a dyno chart on their site. In theory, it will be the laggiest Green they offer. The trade-off is less back pressure up top, so it will make more power at same boosts. Here is their comparison with old Red at 22psi boost where it spools a bit faster (since Green is a smaller turbo) and makes more power up top (since less back pressure). I think this is on pump gas, so turbo has a lot left if running E85. But if you want a 4,000 rpm punch, I don't see that happening with this turbo. I expect 400-700 rpm delay (from your target) on this UHF turbo.
I think you are reading it wrong.

Per FP: "One is the current FP Green UHF, the other is the same FP Green UHF laid on top of last years combination with a FPRed model. Your first thought might be "holdup, that new Green spools up the same as that Red and doesn't make the same peak power". Well, last season the engine was a built long rod 2.4 with 10.5:1 CR and that dyno graph is 22psi. This season the engine is a stock 2.0 bottom end and the turbo comes on so fast that we are actually having to open the gate early to keep the torque below the failure level on the stock connecting rods! So we have almost the same power and response this year with a stock engine and FPGreenUHF turbo as we did last year with a built long rod 2.4 with 10.5CR and a bigger turbocharger."

So the dashed line would be the 2.4LR 10.5cr with FP Red and the solid line is the stock 2.0 with UHF Green. But FP doesn't mention the psi on the UHF Green pull or if the FP Red was mhi or ss housing.
2006EvoIXer (Feb 20, 2020)
Old Feb 20, 2020, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo9isLife

Per FP: "One is the current FP Green UHF, the other is the same FP Green UHF laid on top of last years combination with a FPRed model. Your first thought might be "holdup, that new Green spools up the same as that Red and doesn't make the same peak power". Well, last season the engine was a built long rod 2.4 with 10.5:1 CR and that dyno graph is 22psi. This season the engine is a stock 2.0 bottom end and the turbo comes on so fast that we are actually having to open the gate early to keep the torque below the failure level on the stock connecting rods! So we have almost the same power and response this year with a stock engine and FPGreenUHF turbo as we did last year with a built long rod 2.4 with 10.5CR and a bigger turbocharger."

So the dashed line would be the 2.4LR 10.5cr with FP Red and the solid line is the stock 2.0 with UHF Green. But FP doesn't mention the psi on the UHF Green pull or if the FP Red was mhi or ss housing.
I don't think it doesn't matters. Both curves show slow spool. Lol. I figured one was Red and other was new Green UHF from title of file. I still expect this UHF Green to wake up between 4400 and 4700 rpm on a 2.0.

Old Feb 20, 2020, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

The regular MHI Green and FP54 will spool quicker if you must have the 4,000rpm spool. I think the FP54 will have more power up top and maybe a hair more lag, if any.
This is just my 2 cents.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

I think the FP54 will have more power up top and maybe a hair more lag, if any.
This is just my 2 cents.
But the FP54 is smaller than the FPGreen

I don't think it doesn't matters. Both curves show slow spool. Lol. I still expect this UHF Green to wake up between 4400 and 4700 rpm on a 2.0.
Agreed. No thank you, I'll stick to mhi lol
Old Feb 20, 2020, 01:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Per FP: "One is the current FP Green UHF, the other is the same FP Green UHF laid on top of last years combination with a FPRed model. Your first thought might be"holdup, that new Green spools up the same as that Red and doesn't make the same peak power". Well, last season the engine was a built long rod 2.4 with 10.5:1 CR and that dyno graph is 22psi. This season the engine is a stock 2.0 bottom end and the turbo comes on so fast that we are actually having to open the gate early to keep the torque below the failure level on the stock connecting rods! So we have almost the same power and response this year with a stock engine and FPGreenUHF turbo as we did last year with a built long rod 2.4 with 10.5CR and a bigger turbocharger."

They may be saying that. But it makes 280wtq at 4500. That is so far beyond safe for the stock rods it's silly. Stock turbo cars make 380-400wtq at 3600rpm. That graph is a terrible comparison, two very different engines and two very different turbochargers, and then a "reason" for as to why the UHF green basically appears to suck. I would not base my purchase off of any of that info.

My MHI red made 400wtq at 4500 with the stock 2.0L, S2's, and no mivec...
Old Feb 20, 2020, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

are you sure about that? I thought the FP54 was 57 lb min turbo which is bigger then the FPgreen.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

sorry just looked it up both turbos are 57 lb min but green has tw measurements 67 mm inducer / 58 mm exducer to FP54 60/ 54.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
sorry just looked it up both turbos are 57 lb min but green has tw measurements 67 mm inducer / 58 mm exducer to FP54 60/ 54.
All the Greens are rated based on Compressor Wheel. The FP54 has the smaller Turbine Wheel, but it so has 2 less blades, so less flow obstruction and less rotating mass. I feel the smaller 9 blade wheels flow better up top than the bigger 11 blade wheels, but not too much difference.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the info. So if the UHF green comes on full boost from 4400 - 4700, wouldn’t the FP red come on full boost earlier? I’ve heard of the reds hitting full boost at 4200 on 2Ls in a few cases? I could be wrong though..
Old Feb 21, 2020, 04:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Agreed, FP really need to get some better data out there. If the marketing jargon around the UHF is true, it should spool like a FP54 but flow a lot more, allowing you to get closer to max compressor flow. Otherwise a MHI Red seems like a better value proposition with more balanced performance.
Drivermod (Feb 21, 2020)
Old Feb 21, 2020, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by extreme-eg
Agreed, FP really need to get some better data out there. If the marketing jargon around the UHF is true, it should spool like a FP54 but flow a lot more, allowing you to get closer to max compressor flow. Otherwise a MHI Red seems like a better value proposition with more balanced performance.
Thats what I’m thinking.. I had another look on their site and they did mention that the UHF the turbo “comes on so fast that they had to open the gate early to keep the torque below the failure level on the stock connecting rods”. Maybe this can explain why the graph isn’t to impressive? They called it the “best street turbo for the Evo platform ever”. As you mentioned they might need to start putting better data out there. Why would You pick a uhf over a red for example which comes on earlier and makes more top end?? While the UHF comes on a few hundred rpm later and makes less top end? Something isn’t adding up .

2006EvoIXer (Feb 21, 2020)
Old Feb 21, 2020, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by extreme-eg
it should spool like a FP54 but flow a lot more, allowing you to get closer to max compressor flow.
The FP54 only comes with mhi turbine, and the UHF Green only comes with ss turbine. FP54 should spool much sooner. FP54 is in between a mhi green and a hta71.
2006EvoIXer (Feb 21, 2020)

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with new FP green UHF ? ​​​​​​​