Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

4G64 2.4 Long Rod 91+Meth DD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2020, 11:12 AM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Yes please...
Old Nov 18, 2020, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
HKS 274-278 lobe vs my new custom cams

Last edited by GTA.RS; Nov 20, 2020 at 04:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
probal79 (Nov 19, 2020)
Old Nov 19, 2020, 12:20 PM

Wow...the duration looks huge. Is lift slightly lower than HKS's 11mm?
What motor is it being used on? Stroker or 2.0? Please do share Dyno/VD if possible. Want to learn the effects of duration vs lift as much as possible.

Update on the tune:
- Turbo is spooling slightly quicker with additional WG duty. Will further optimize in next few days.
- Tried out 1 degree more timing at peak boost today. Unfortunately car knocks at anything other than 0 degrees till about 4,000 RPM. What I would give to get access to E85 in Bangladesh
- Tried 1 degree more timing past 7,000 RPM. No significant increase in power unfortunately.
- Tried 0.5psi additional boost at 7,000 RPM. Got additional 7-10 PSI power at the top
- Will be trying another 0.5psi tomorrow to see if more power is left on the table.

Sharing VD below of today's run for reference. Peak torque is a little lower as car knocked from 4000-5200 RPM due to higher timing. But peak HP is a new personal best for my car.
I started my project after getting inspired by mrfred's VD for his BBK 3B. Getting very close to replicating his power levels. Only difference is he did it with a 2.0L and I'm using 2.4L block. Other major differences include:
- Tomei procam vs GSC R2
- 91 gas with Meth + 10% toluene vs E85
- Tomei O2 dump vs MAP vent to air dump

Higher WG duty at spoolup + 0.5psi boost at 7,000

Mrfred's BBK 3B

Old Nov 19, 2020, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Be sometime next year, 11.2/10.85 peak lifts, 2.4lr non mivec
Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:10 AM

alpinaturbo got me thinking on my slow spool buildup (12.5 psi to 32 psi) and I thought i'd check 2 things hardware-wise to see if I can make any improvements. One was the exhaust manifold and the other is the WG actuator spring. I'm using turbosmart WG actuator with 16 psi spring and FP cast iron race manifold which has 20% larger runners compared to stock mani as advertised by FP. My theory was that the stock mani with narrow runners might increase velocity and promote spool while sacrificing some top end.
So, had some free time today and thought I'd do some testing on the exhaust manifold. Result posted below for reference. I was a bit shocked to see how much the FP manifold helped with power and spool.....
Took some pictures today as well of both manifolds for runner and port opening size side-by-side comparison.
Please note: Running a Tubular manifold is not an option for me as temps are around 100 degrees ambient for 9-10 months of the year here in Bangladesh.

Stock vs. FP cast iron race manifold

Old Nov 22, 2020, 06:02 AM

Did some further research on the stock vs FP manifold today as I was really shocked by the result. Found something very interesting.
- Evo 7 & Evo 9 manifolds carry the same part number but in reality is different in design and size
- Evo 7 manifold runner opening is much smaller in size compared to Evo 9
- True comparison between Evo 9 stock manifold & FP race cast manifold might yield a different result.

The manifold I installed for testing was borrowed from a friends evo 7. Attaching pictures below showing difference between Evo 7 & 9 Manifold:

Evo 7 vs FP race cast manifold (pictures taken by me)

Evo 9 vs FP race cast manifold (pictures courtesy of Raceghost post)

Difference between Evo 7 vs Evo 9 manifold
Old Nov 22, 2020, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Amazing that you've noticed the same part numbers being used to get rid of Evo 7 stock.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 12:45 PM

Winter is slowly settling in Bangladesh....promoting better spool
Increased timing a little bit in the spool up and peak boost area resulting in better peak torque. Previously car was knocking in this area. Cured it with adding a little extra fuel and I guess the colder weather is also helping. Today's run produced the best overall torque and area under the curve since upgrading to 4G64, beating best HKS results everywhere. Sharing the log and VD for reference below.
Needless to say, the car drives like a bat out of hell. On today's last 2nd gear WOT, it felt like I left my soul behind

HKS vs Tomei best runs

Tomei WOT log
Old Dec 8, 2020, 12:28 PM

Did some further refinements in the tune past couple of weeks. I think the power numbers are maximized with the current installed parts.
I've been digging around the forum for tips on improving spool by another 200-300 RPM. Any thoughts and ideas will be much appreciated.
I'm on Grimmspeed 3 port & Turbosmart 16psi WG actuator. Current WG graph is shared below for reference. I' running 100% duty till 220 load.

Old Dec 10, 2020, 01:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Is Lean Spool turned on or off ? You can try lean out the mixture a little during spool-up to generate more heat.
Alternatively bring the water meth on a little earlier and take away some fuel from the main map in the same range. Running more meth than water will also contribute to faster spool due to a greater mixture mass (energy) to drive the turbine - but be careful not to blow out spark or flood the motor.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 01:56 PM

Lean spool is turned on. Leaning out the spool region has actually helped with the boost build up.
Never thought of spraying meth earlier to promote spool. Will be trying that soon.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

Old Mar 2, 2021, 09:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank for sharing, I will be running 2.4 also, and thought that 2.0xtr might be to small, with your graphics I may change my mind and interest in 2.0xtr again
Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:59 AM

Most welcome Mivec4G. 2.0XTR is the best turbo for street use in my opinion. It's identical to the now discontinued BBK 3B.

I'm thinking of trying the Kelford 272R next winter around December. One of the local Evo's installed it and the Idle is not that bad. With my 4G64 setup and ported head, I have a feeling the slightly higher lift compared to Tomei Procam might be interesting.

Also, I'm thinking of trying the AEM infinity in my setup soon. Any suggestions and tips for installation and additional sensors will be much appreciated.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is going to be a fun street car!
Old May 4, 2021, 08:12 AM

As suggested by my local Evo buddy Ehsan, I thought i'd try my hands on a new air filter setup. My current setup contains:
- Tomei suction pipe
- Custom MAF delete
- HKS Kansai box
- HKS mushroom air filter

Inspired by the pictures from another post here at Evom, decided to try the FIPK kit from K&N (K&N 57-5504-1) which is made for the DSM. But the post suggested that the kit would fit nicely in the Kansai box. And it really fits nicely . Pictured down below for reference.

Now, on to the performance:
- About 10hp increase to the wheels. Similar torque
- With the same tune, overshot the PSI target. Later changed the WG duty to match the boost curve
- Butt dyno also attests to power increase
- Maybe it's my imagination, but the car sounds like its smoother / happier post 6000 rpm.

Pictures below of VD for HKS mushroom vs K&N same tune and then later same boost curve.

Also, sharing previous vs new WG duty curve to attain the same boost for reference.

Loving the new K&N setup so far. Thanks a lot Ehsan

Same tune...boost overshot target PSI

WG compensated to reflect same boost curve

Previous vs new WG duty to attain same boost

The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (May 5, 2021)

Quick Reply: 4G64 2.4 Long Rod 91+Meth DD