Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Made this the other day

Name:  34eb9ed1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  282.4 KB
Sorry for the crappy picture.

Name:  acb4af1f.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  269.6 KB

Still using the rear section of my apexi noir exhaust because it's nice and quiet for the street, buy I will be making an aluminum tailpipe section with quick pinned hangers to swap out at the track and what not. The mid section in aluminum only weighs about 4 pounds and is surely much less restrictive than the other one I had on there! The steel one weighs about 19 pounds. Willing to bet the rear section will drop another 15-20 pounds if not more. I could probably make more of these if anyone wants one!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mrboost05
any thoughts or updates on the wheel bearings ? my dad was telling me they have used thease in motorcycles in the early 90's i thought it was like some secret new tech
nothing yet. i am still waiting on my harness to be completed. once i do that i will have some kind of review up after i put 100 or so miles on the car and pull them back off to see the difference compared to a stock bearing
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Anyone have any data showing the ceramic bearings increase trap speed... or dyno the difference? I'm curious as to how much it improves the car.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Anyone have any data showing the ceramic bearings increase trap speed... or dyno the difference? I'm curious as to how much it improves the car.
Once my oem bearings went out I had planned to do those to my car but had been wondering the exact same thing. I almost feel if its a minimal gain and they live up to the announced life span its worth it to me over buying oem repeatedly.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
evodan did you see that Magnus is making chromoly rear subframes?
saves 40lbs

facebook link
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...5163036&type=1
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
No.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RSMike
evodan did you see that Magnus is making chromoly rear subframes?
saves 40lbs

facebook link
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...5163036&type=1
That's a nice looking piece. I posted a question, hope it gets answered there. I asked if that weight savings includes the full factory mustache bar that I assume get's deleted? We looked at doing those at one point and with all the aluminum structure in the back Gary (our chassis) guy didn't think there would be much weight savings, 40 pounds is freaking HUGE though! Hell I may need to buy one.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by David Buschur
That's a nice looking piece. I posted a question, hope it gets answered there. I asked if that weight savings includes the full factory mustache bar that I assume get's deleted? We looked at doing those at one point and with all the aluminum structure in the back Gary (our chassis) guy didn't think there would be much weight savings, 40 pounds is freaking HUGE though! Hell I may need to buy one.

I saw them in person when he was making them three months ago and saw the finished product Thursday when I was up there, they are nice looking piece.

Dave, I would assume with the way this has a backing plate that bolts directly to the diff and seeing the car he was making this for still had the stock mustache bar in place that the weight savings is vs a completely stock setup. Also this quote off FB, "Total wight 16lbs. Saves over 40 lbs over the stock setup."-Marco

I didn't look closely in person but I'm not seeing a sway bar mounting location, if its not there I would imagine some of the weight loss would be associated to the removal of that as well.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by David Buschur
No.
No, as in you have never dyno'd to see the difference, or no, you could not measure any difference?

Why I ask is I thought CBRE did some testing with you at one point.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

No as in no testing.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Subframe: 21.6lbs
Diff Front Support: 7.6lbs
Diff Side Mounts: 9lbs
Rear Sway Bar + mounts: 12.3lbs
Mustache Bar: 15.9lbs
66.4 lbs total

The replacement subframe replaces/eliminates the above items for 16 pounds total, so you are looking at -50 pounds. Definitely a significant amount of weight. However, compared to the Buschur lightweight stuff and pulling the rear sway bar, that piece will save you about 12 pounds.

Looking at it, it looks like it would reduce rear chassis stiffness. It kind of makes the diff a stressed member in the frame. That could cause some case flex in the rear diff under hard cornering which is never good for gear sets. Not really an issue for drag racing though.

I wonder if it stuffs a 3000GT diff in there as they are supposed to be a good deal stronger.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
besides cost, why don't more people go with CF doors?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dtrackstar
besides cost, why don't more people go with CF doors?
Cost and the fact that there is no safety with them. I would never use a CF door unless I had a proper roll cage in the car before hand. CF is not going to be good in a collision and nether are gutted OEM doors, but people that are usually gutting there OEM doors have a cage so It would be okay in that case
Old Jul 9, 2012, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Makes sense. Anyone know how much weight is saved? Just curious
Old Jul 9, 2012, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrackstar
Makes sense. Anyone know how much weight is saved? Just curious
Depends on who makes the doors.

I have the front AMS Performance doors (http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...ont-Doors.html) and I piled all of the hardware, door trim & moulding, and lexan windows that will be getting mounted to the doors, and I'm estimating mine will be right around 19 lbs when all said and done. That works out to a 70 lbs weight savings (35 lbs per door).

The OEMs were ~54 lbs, so with the bare CF doors weighing ~9 lbs each, that means I'm sticking another 10 lbs of stuff on the doors. In a race application where you don't need windows, I'm sure you could be closer to 12-13 lbs. I chose to add back all the rubber door seals and windows, because there's a pretty good chance I may have to race in the rain.

Dave

Quick Reply: Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!