Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

help me write a DIY for compustar 2w900fm-as alarm on a 2006 EVO MR!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2007, 01:52 AM
bus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sucks that you live in Florida, there is a great shop up here in Washington that installs CompuSTAR alarms for a lot of EVOs, STIs and SRT-4s for a very reasonable price(if you can even include SRT-4s in this tuner car category.)
Old Jul 8, 2007, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

ya i been trying to install it but it is very overwhelming. the directions they give for this sort of thing are not that good. if they had some good pictures with it it wouldnt be soo bad.. i tried calling every single shop in my town and NO-ONE wants to touch remote start on a manual car. too much liability they say. either that or they want like 500 bux to install which is plain out robbery. its still just sitting right here on my desk waiting for its home...
Old Jul 8, 2007, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fyreant
y either that or they want like 500 bux to install which is plain out robbery.
This is a pretty bold statement.

There is a lot of know how to install any system with confidence in today's cars. Not any Joe blow can do this, as in yourself. I install these systems all day (I used to, had a career change) in under an hour. I say that my knowledge and expertise in the field says it is worth quite a bit of money.

That is like having a cheap electrician come in your house and install a cieling fan, but cheaps out and uses a regulaer light box instead of a fan box and the **** falls down a week later because it was not supported right.

This is a reconized trade, people charge what they charge for a reason.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

i totally understand that and im not saying its an easy / inexpensive job but i can go to circuit city and get a brand new viper 791xv installed for like 5-600 bux.. and thats with the product.. with the compustar someone wanted 500 just for install.. i understand there are just a few more wires and also understand that with circuit city its a "package deal" but c'mon.. thats a lot for an install..
Old Jul 8, 2007, 07:01 PM
Former Sponsor

that's circuit city.... no disrespect to CC installers but you get what you pay for. I worked there for 1 month between jobs and it was the worst experience of my life. There's a shop in my area that charges 700-800 installed for a REMOTE START ONLY not even a combo alarm/remote start. You know why? Because they can get the money all day long because they are that good at what the do and they actually give you your money back if you can look under the dash and find anything that looks aftermarket. I've been doing this for 8 years now and i've seen some horror show alarm installs. I dont know what your capable of, but for just anyone to do an alarm/remote starter and in a standard, i'd be very shocked if it keeps your car more secure than it is now.
Hiding the unit is key because not only can it be disabled if a theif finds your alarm, but since it's a remote start too it means someone can hotwire the car right from it too, since your essentially hotwiring it to remote start it. I personally would charge you 250-300 to install that alarm in your vehicle.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

250 -300 isnt that bad.. but 500 i think is too much..
Old Jul 8, 2007, 10:00 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
that is why I read the "how to install" and did a good job in the install myself and yes it was my first time to install something like this but I want all the goods and would not be able to add the tilt and motion and perimeter sensor as well as the clutch kill switch if I did not do it myself.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:26 PM
bus

fact is, that if what you do can take less than an hour to do (ie install an alarm) then charging $500 is just asinine. Unless you're a damn good lawyer it best be less. I got mine installed for $200. The box is hidden well and everything is mounted well, not to mention I live in one of the most overpriced cities in the US. Nice try dude, $500 is rippen someone off.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

update? im trying to install a viper 771xv myself. I ran into the same problem with shops saying no to the install due to the manual transmission.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

no update. could not install my self. could not get installed professionally. selling unit. wanna buy it??
$220 with bypass unit..
Old Jul 24, 2007, 09:43 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
installing it yourself is the best bet. try the12volt.com for advice.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MConsoliA4
that's circuit city.... no disrespect to CC installers but you get what you pay for. I worked there for 1 month between jobs and it was the worst experience of my life. There's a shop in my area that charges 700-800 installed for a REMOTE START ONLY not even a combo alarm/remote start. You know why? Because they can get the money all day long because they are that good at what the do and they actually give you your money back if you can look under the dash and find anything that looks aftermarket. I've been doing this for 8 years now and i've seen some horror show alarm installs. I dont know what your capable of, but for just anyone to do an alarm/remote starter and in a standard, i'd be very shocked if it keeps your car more secure than it is now.
Hiding the unit is key because not only can it be disabled if a theif finds your alarm, but since it's a remote start too it means someone can hotwire the car right from it too, since your essentially hotwiring it to remote start it. I personally would charge you 250-300 to install that alarm in your vehicle.
I worked for circuit city for 4 years... the only time i would ever go back to buy something would be from the roadshop and getting it installed. We had 2 installers with 10+ years at our location. I would trust them with a new car no doubt. They would not let new guys touch the remote starts........ I guess its not the same at all locations but you can always ask questions, meet the installers, ask them their confidence level...

If they do not want to do an alarm/remstart in your car they will let you know of their insecurities... its much easier to slap headunits in civics all day long.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fyreant
no update. could not install my self. could not get installed professionally. selling unit. wanna buy it??
$220 with bypass unit..
what bypass unit?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrdecrypter
what bypass unit?
the immobilizer system requires a bypass unit to use the remote start function. most of them require you to get an extra key coded and cut the head of the key off and store it in a bypass "box" so the immobilizer key can start the car.. this bypass unit does not do that.. you program your immobilizer code directly into the box so it does not require one of your programmed keys at all... it only requires 2 programmed keys to be present when registering the code into the unit.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

any updates? did you sell the alarm?

Quick Reply: help me write a DIY for compustar 2w900fm-as alarm on a 2006 EVO MR!!