Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Aftermarket radio speakers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket radio speakers

I got an 05 gsr with the sun and sound package. Just curious of what all everyone had after market wise in there car. I know you must get the adapter to use the factory amps which I found once but lost the page.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 03:03 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I honestly wouldn't worry too much about what all of us have. Only reason I say that is that we all have different preferences and want a differnent type of sound from our system. We also have different budgets. Some folks may love the system I put in my car...some may not. It's all preference. Getting what sounds good to you and fits your budget would be the most helpful. Start here at this thread and good luck and keep us posted...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=273714
Old Aug 16, 2007, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Definitely let us know what you decide to go with and we'll help along the way as much as possible.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

I might start tonight looking at new headunits. I know I need the adapter to make it work with the factory amp. What is the power rating on the factory amp, sub etc?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a fan of Pioneer and Alpine units. I have a D1 in my 350z and an Alpine in my 300zx, just my opinion though
Old Aug 17, 2007, 06:04 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure on power ratings of the SSL amp. My best guess would be somewhere around 20Wx4 and 80Wx1. Might even be less. Take a look under the driver seat...the amp is tiny.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
Not sure on power ratings of the SSL amp. My best guess would be somewhere around 20Wx4 and 80Wx1. Might even be less. Take a look under the driver seat...the amp is tiny.
very much so
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:09 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
My favorite headunits are Kenwood, Pioneer, and Alpine (for iPods). I've seen Kenwoods last 7 years and still go strong.

Speaker wise, it all depends on your budget. I hear great things about Focal but haven't used them personally. MB Quartz used to make really great products but I believe they were bought out by Phoenix Gold which has gone down hill as well.

Infiniti Kappa are great speakers. Hard to go wrong with Polk Audio. But as adambl03 said... it all depends on your music / sound preference.

My girlfiend has Polk db651S all the way around in her OZ Rally. It sounds fantastic. They sounded great w/o an amp and sound 10 times better with an amp.

I think once I upgrade my system from the Infiniti it came with, I'll probably go with Infiniti Kappas or Polks or Kicker. Again this is just my opinion / taste.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

I live by Focal....and nothing else. i have run Focal in two of my cars (6.5" coax's) and will be running two sets of the K2P components in my Evo once I get the money together to finish the install. For me, Focals are excellent when paired with a good sub. Just bright enough that they don't get drowned out by road noise in a car, decent midrange, and relatively good on power (the K2P seperates can handle as little as 100 watts which really isn't that bad for a good seperate...I will be giving them 170 watts each though so no problems here! haha!) Do yourself a favor and go listen to speakers. Take something with you that you are very familiar with and spend time listening to speakers...if you find a speaker fatiguing, don't buy it...it will only sound worse over time. And avoid the big box stores. Find a reputable stereo shop in your area and check out what they carry.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 03:10 AM

I worked for a long time in the "I.C.E." bussiness, and I found this to be true.

It doesn't really matter what brand it is, you get what you pay for.

Also, on everybrand, there is some highend (nice) and there are the midline (everyday) products. Oh, and lets not forget the cheap stuff (crap.)