Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

looking for a 3 way speaker

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2009, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for a 3 way speaker

For my evo8 both front and rear. Any brand preference that you recommend? The Sonys explode seems common and ok but I want to see if anyone has any good recommendations. Like i said these would go for the front and rear. Let me know the price as well. Thanks.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not very fond of the Sony car speakers. Best recommendation I can make for you is to check out Crutchfield.com (I like to recommend this site because they have a great selection of products and they usually have some good deals going on) and check out some of the reviews for the speakers they carry.

For the fronts, I would run component speakers if it fits in your price range, but that would mean you should get an amplifier as well.

But other than that, Check out that site and see what three way speakers they carry and read the reviews and go from there.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

thanks I appreciate that. I will check that site. Any particular brands you recommend?
Old Jan 1, 2010, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not familiar with who makes 3 way speakers off the top of my head, I just know a majority of round speakers come in 2 ways.

Best I can say is go through that site and pick out some speakers that you are interested in and make a list. Then post that list here and we can try to help you make a decision choice on which speakers you want to go with.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:34 AM

you may try pioneer speakers ....

i used it ,

and its really excellent .....
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any of the big name brands should all be comparable to one another, one person may say they like one more than the other of course. Stick with ones from Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, companies like those and you can't go wrong with them.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Why do you want 3-ways??

My recommendation is a set of components up front and 2 way coaxials in the rear. And power both with an amp (or at least the front).

I've heard great things about the JL components, but haven't used them personally so I can only speculate.

Best sounding components I've heard personally (my brother and several people he works with own them) are the Infinity Kappa Perfects.

My brother works at BB so he gets great prices and has switched his speakers around a lot. I've heard:

Infinity Reference components- Pretty good sound. Low end was a little flat and weak, but over all a great budget set-up IMO.

Alpine Type R components- The older generation sounded better than the new ones IMO. He had these powered by a 200WRMS amp in a 96 Integra and they sounded AMAZING! Bought the new gen and had them in his MR2 and they sounded ok.

Pioneer- Coaxials- Not bad. Not great, but decent for the price.

Infinity Reference- Coaxials- Better than the Pioneers. Good overall value.

Kenwood Coaxials- Similar to the Infinity's in sound.

Eclipse 6.5 Coaxials- I actually had these in the front of my Evo and they sounded good.

Stay away from Sony. It sucks. And I mean all Sony. HU's, amps, subs. speakers.

Like someone else said they all perform pretty similarly and most people swear by a certain brand regardless of how similar they sound. If it were my money I would probably have nothing but JL in my car. But I wouldn't want to pay JL prices so until BB carries them more than likely I will rock Infinity in my own vehicle.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

I went with the Alpine. I have a 3 way in the rear and 2 way up front. Good sound. Thanks for your input everyone.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Good read, am about to do the same thing by changing the speaker in my car.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you dont really need a "3 way" ......... also pioneers high end speakers are great... i also recommend components