Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

CarPuter Install

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2010, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rgonyer
I was thinking pretty hard about #3. I do controls/plc work for a living and I don't think it would be too awfully difficult. They make I/O boards that run off of USB. What I don't know is how the climate control works on the Evo. I assume the fan speed switch is a variable resistor, and the location selection is probably vacuum driven?
Don't know about the fan speed switch, didn't put an ohm meter on it, but the location and temprature controls are both cable actuators, so a linear actuator would need to be used on those. AC/Recirc/Def are all just dump to ground switches, so those are easy, the fan speed one is the one I don't know about and would throw me for a loop.

Also, as a general update my enthusiasim for enjoying my new toy overpowered my willpower to stop and take pics. So I am light on pics on building the harness and mounting the LCD, but everything is up and running and I have it in the car currently. I *did* take some video's however of me bench testing the LCD and it's mounting, and I am going to remove everything from the car, make mounting brackets for the computer and amp, then remount the stuff perminantly. So maybe then I'll have lots of pics. Right now I'm pulling the vids off my recorder.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

u can also use a galant climate control unit and radio relocation kit. .. galant unit is 1 din unit. and will fit properly in lower cubby with radio relocation kit... the cable will bolt right up control the blend door. . only the electrical part need wiring. fan control is straight forward . only ac and defroster need wiring along with light.. if u do get a galant or eclipse hvac unit u must buy it with the harness.. or else its gone be hell of work...
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aman
u can also use a galant climate control unit and radio relocation kit. .. galant unit is 1 din unit. and will fit properly in lower cubby with radio relocation kit... the cable will bolt right up control the blend door. . only the electrical part need wiring. fan control is straight forward . only ac and defroster need wiring along with light.. if u do get a galant or eclipse hvac unit u must buy it with the harness.. or else its gone be hell of work...
any more info on this. Has anybody ever got a fully functional galant hvac swap. Im pretty sure I can get the harness and controls. If you have any more info, please let me know. Thanks
Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

PICS INBOUND:

I have ripped out the entire interior of my car and am taking pics of the install now. I decided to shampoo my carpet while it's out so I'm going a little slower than I want because of that. But so far I have 20 pics just of a stripped interior, the custom harness I made and it's routing and how it plugs into the factory harness.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by daisaw1219
any more info on this. Has anybody ever got a fully functional galant hvac swap. Im pretty sure I can get the harness and controls. If you have any more info, please let me know. Thanks

i can do it for u. i have seen on either evom forums or mp3car forums where they used galant controls in lancer.... i dont remember exactly..
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

any more updates?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

Just finished about 30min ago. I've been at it for 12hr today alone (yup, I started at 5am today) and my back is killing me from crawling around in the car all day. I've got a load of pics, 3 vids of testing an progress and I need to make a final vid. I'll be posting the pics tonight, after I rest a bit.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 03:57 PM
Former Sponsor

i saw this the other day, FANTASTIC install. it wasn't100% finished when he had it over, but it looked and operated perfect. i want one now
Old Apr 18, 2010, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

where did you get that double din plate from?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partsli...ey=180-042-001
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lets see it. By the schedule you should be just about finished!
Old May 1, 2010, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Actually you are correct, I'm almost finished (just loose ends to tie up). I got to find my camera cable though so I can get the pics off of it... hahahah. I do have some vids, so let me link them here.

Here is my monitor dissasembeled, chopped up with a dremel, then reassembled using the jdm trim ring as the monitor's front bezel:

Initial Test

Here is my first test of the system in the car. At this point all the components were in my passenger side footwell and I was just testing the major components out:

In Car Test 1

This is my first true test after I got the components all working together in an automated fasion. Turn the key on, the computer comes on, turn the key off, the computer is off etc.

In Car Test 2

The last video posted above was the point at which KevinD saw the install when I took it to his shop and posted his comment in this thread. Since this video the following has happended:

1. Cleaned up the install and finalized the cable layout and routing
2. Tactrix cable came in
3. Custom EvoScan gauges were made by myself

I have found some issues however. These are driving me nuts and really aggrivating me to no end. Some of them are below:

1. Centrafuse 3.0 is not ready...it's still truely a beta product. Resume from hibernate yields graphical glitches during the resume
a. parts of screen loading then other parts loading (Windows isn't doing this, it's Centrafuse)
b. first few times you interact with the screen after a resume it gives a graphical glitch box.

2. Centrafuse 3.0 and EvoScan 2.6 don't play nice together when you stop and restart EvoScan, I have discussed this in another thread but it's really annoying and makes the complete setup pointless. If all I wanted was music, GPS and internet I could have bought a double din radio. I want EvoScan, custom gauges, data logging, etc through this.

As such I have decided to give RideRunner a try as the front end. Over this next week or so I'll be building RideRunner out to give it a shot.
Old May 1, 2010, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have no issues with RideRunner and EvoScan, so you shouldn't have an issue. Very easy to build custom screens/skins/buttons as well.

Also, as far as hibernate, I'm not sure if you went with an SSD or not. My CarPC powers up and down with the ignition for a full cold boot. I timed it before (forgot the exact numbers), but it's under 30 seconds for a completely working and loaded front-end and music playing. This is with the HD radio connection and everything. No need to hibernate. Hibernate would of course be even faster, but the cold boot with the SSD really isn't an issue.

Also, if you have bluetooth in your CarPC, you can get the PS3 controller and keyboard that's in one of the CarPC threads. It helps out nicely.

Last edited by l2r99gst; May 1, 2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old May 1, 2010, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
I have no issues with RideRunner and EvoScan, so you shouldn't have an issue. Very easy to build custom screens/skins/buttons as well.

Also, as far as hibernate, I'm not sure if you went with an SSD or not. My CarPC powers up and down with the ignition for a full cold boot. I timed it before (forgot the exact numbers), but it's under 30 seconds for a completely working and loaded front-end and music playing. This is with the HD radio connection and everything. No need to hibernate. Hibernate would of course be even faster, but the cold boot with the SSD really isn't an issue.

Also, if you have bluetooth in your CarPC, you can get the PS3 controller and keyboard that's in one of the CarPC threads. It helps out nicely.
Nothing against that PS3 controler thing, but it's ugly, tacky, childish and I wouldn't be caught with it in my car. I ordered one of these:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboa...d/devices/3848
Old May 1, 2010, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

So for the last 4 hours I have been playing with RideRunner...and came to one conclusion:

It's crap, complete utter crap

Now let me explain that I have VERY high standards when it comes to software. I still think Windows7 is crap. XP is OK, but still not what I would call great. I am in the healthcare field and specificly in the software side of healthcare. If you have a glitch, bug, etc, you kill someone. And I feel in a CarPC it's the same. If it distracts me, I may get in a wreck and die, it has to be solid, intuitive, responsive and not look like a polished turd.

Centrafuse is ok, it has annoying bugs, but it works. Ride runner is utter garbage...

Quick Reply: CarPuter Install