Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

ssl package infinity sub upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2010, 02:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ssl package infinity sub upgrade?

I searched and couldn't find anything forgive me if I missed it. But I have the ssl package and my sub blew out, I was wondering if this like every other factory sub in every other car was wired to only work with factory components or could i just replace the sub and use the factory amp? And even if i could whats the watts on the factory amp would it even be worth it......i'm kind of thinking that the sub enclosure wont do any sub any justice but i like the sleek design it is in. If any one has any feedback id really appreciate it.
Old May 10, 2010, 03:19 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...n-ssl-sub.html

Look through this thread. It won't tell you which woofer to buy, because no one has been able to provide 2 necessary pieces of information - the volume of the enclosure and the nominal impedance of the driver. If you can post that info, along with a couple of pics of the original driver (ie. woofer) and the enclosure, we may be able to locate a suitable replacement.

Last edited by FJF; May 10, 2010 at 03:29 AM.
Old May 10, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

thanks ill see what i can figure out.
Old May 10, 2010, 02:04 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8_GSR
thanks ill see what i can figure out.
OK, great. You can get the driver's nominal impedance with a multimeter, and calculating volume is self-explanatory. Until we have these two pieces of information, this question will keep getting asked over and over with no answer in sight.
Old May 10, 2010, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Ya idk its pretty discouraging i'm thinking about just making my own box.
Old May 10, 2010, 03:59 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8_GSR
Ya idk its pretty discouraging i'm thinking about just making my own box.
<grin> It wouldn't be discouraging, if we just had those two pieces of information. Can't someone with a SSL sub just post the info? The driver's impedance and the volume of the enclosure. This isn't complicated. I'm willing to do the work, search out and model a number of drivers - that's the complicated, time-consuming part - but it can't be done without knowing the two things I keep asking for.
Old May 22, 2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by FJF
<grin> It wouldn't be discouraging, if we just had those two pieces of information. Can't someone with a SSL sub just post the info? The driver's impedance and the volume of the enclosure. This isn't complicated. I'm willing to do the work, search out and model a number of drivers - that's the complicated, time-consuming part - but it can't be done without knowing the two things I keep asking for.
I only have half an answer for you: The volume of the box is approximately 0.55 to 0.60 cubic feet.

Unfortunately I am ill equipped to measure the impedance of the driver...maybe someone else can pull that one off, I imagine getting the volume of the box to be the more inconvenient of the two measurements to make.
Old May 22, 2010, 04:07 PM

very interested in this as well
Old May 22, 2010, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Would seem to be good information for a lot of people.....

If I had a ssl sub I would measure... How hard can it be/long could it take?...
Old May 23, 2010, 05:54 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dookgvr4
If I had a ssl sub I would measure... How hard can it be/long could it take?...
It's really easy. The driver's (nominal) impedance can be read with a multimeter. Put its leads on the speaker terminals, set the unit to Ohms, and see what it says. This info would be necessary, if we were to look for a driver that works with the factory amp. Could you guys check on something? Is the max depth of the enclosure 4.5"? If not, can someone get the exact number?

knowing the volume of the enclosure (thanks, BTW), we could find a suitable driver for an aftermarket amp.
Old May 23, 2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by FJF
It's really easy. The driver's (nominal) impedance can be read with a multimeter. Put its leads on the speaker terminals, set the unit to Ohms, and see what it says. This info would be necessary, if we were to look for a driver that works with the factory amp. Could you guys check on something? Is the max depth of the enclosure 4.5"? If not, can someone get the exact number?

knowing the volume of the enclosure (thanks, BTW), we could find a suitable driver for an aftermarket amp.
The depth of the cup in the sub box is less than 4" (at the highest point), the actual depth varies since the base is not flat. The actual measurement between the shallowest point and the mounting surface is approx 3.75", maybe slightly more. It is hard to get an accurate read. If you would like more precision, let me know and i will try to invest some time in it with my calipers tomorrow after work. Unfortunately I don't have much free time so I cannot make any guarantees. Also I currently do not have a functional multimeter to test the stock sub. I tried for the last two days to go see a friend who has one, and ran out of time both days. I will see what I can do this coming weekend if no one else can come up with a reading.

I have attached a picture of the sub box I just took hastily to this message. Again, if you would like additional pictures, let me know and I will see what I can do.
Attached Thumbnails ssl package infinity sub upgrade?-sub-box-small.jpg  
Old May 24, 2010, 04:39 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

The depth is an issue. A big issue. There are shallow(er) drivers that might work - I'd have to check - but they're not inexpensive.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

UPDATE: so basically I have accomplished 2 things here. I have managed to install a aftermarket Sub and Box using the factory harness with out having to cut up a single thing its a plug and play install on my end. Second I have started to work on Extension for the factory box to allow for the use of a normal sub. The goal is to use products someone with no knowledge could use to accomplish this task. I will be making a wright up as soon as I can if your interested in the other method lmk.
Old May 25, 2010, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post8341677
Old May 27, 2010, 08:28 PM

I finally got a measurement on the resistance of the sub. I was measuring around 3 ohms.

Am I correct in assuming that the resistance of the driver can be used to approximate the impedance, and that drivers come with impedances in powers of two? In this case the driver in the stock sub would be 4 ohms?

If you need another type of measurement, let me know. I will be within range of a multimeter until mid-day tomorrow.

-Q

Quick Reply: ssl package infinity sub upgrade?