Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Help! Bumper Melting Need Advice for Quick Fix

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2010, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help! Bumper Melting Need Advice for Quick Fix

This past weekend I scraped my muffler when backing into my apartment complex garage. Its stupid steep and now it has caused more cosmetic damage to this car than I've ever had, including a f*cked front lip (first time in there) and ever since I've been backing in. This has worked wonderfully, until I had 5 big guys in the thing and it scraped.

Well, now it seems my muffler has bent over to the side and is slowly melting my bumper. I HATE melted bumpers w/ aftermarket exhausts, it screams ricey garbage. I don't know how this happened, as the mounts are rubber..

Last night I tried shifting the muffler as far left as possible using the hangers with no luck. The two rubber hangers both allow no further left movement. I've got no more room for adjustment. So the metal brackets/hangers must need to be bent.

So how do I bend these things back before the damage gets so bad I need to replace the bumper? I have to work all weekend, and I need to drive, my other ride (GSXR) is in the shop for front fork rebuilds. So I've got tonight and then I'm SOL.
Attached Thumbnails Help! Bumper Melting Need Advice for Quick Fix-muffler_ams.jpg  
Old Sep 17, 2010, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what exhaust is it? i'd say loosen the bolts holding it and then try to move it.

edit i see the sig.
i'd say temporary you should bend hangers to help and/or using insulation tape between the bumper and tip.

i melted mine too and just bought a cf heatshield to cover it all up
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

With my luck the weld will shear off when I'm trying to bend the hanger. But its just about the only thing I can think of. I tried to bend them a bit while it was on the car, and it just wasn't happening, I gotta bust out the jack stands and take the whole muffler off I guess.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

I took the whole muffler off, and tried to bend the hangers and had absolutely no luck. Damn high quality stainless steel didn't get them to budge a millimeter. I'm completely mystified how this thing got bent at all, or how it started fitting so horribly. I think I'm going to take it to some random muffler shop and have them slice off the old hangers and put on new ones.

I'm totally out of ideas here.

Also where can I get some gaskets? The one between the midpipe and the axelback broke while i was removing the muffler.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you have access to a torch? maybe getting it hot , then grab with wrench and try to bench slowly?

you can get gaskets at Road race engineering guys in cali, maybe call up buschur. for temporary solution just use high temp gasket maker; it may hold up for a week or so.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:42 PM

you should be able to bend the hangers with a pair of vise-grips. If you're worried about the aesthetics, use a rag between the pliers and hangers. Also, it would make bending them easier if the exhaust was supported by something (i.e. a vise).
I might suggest that you leave the the axle-back bolted to the mid pipe, but leave the hanger out of the rubber so that you can grab it with something and bend it. SURELY the hanger will bend before the 3in exhaust does. You could support the back of the exhaust with a jackstand, or have someone hold on to it.
hope any of this helps
good luck....

and........
you can get 3in 3bolt collector gaskets at any of your local parts store

Last edited by stackhouse; Sep 18, 2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

its better to go professional
just get any fender bender
they will know what to do with it
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

+1 torch
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Have a shop put it up on a lift and force it over with a prybar. The hangers will bend, youre not applying enough force
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

nice drawing!! =)
Old Sep 19, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Looks like I need to give it another go. Trying to bend it on the car is a good idea. Its difficult to hold the muffler in place for bending when its not attached to anything.

I've ordered a new gasket and some stuff for an oil change.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

when i had this issue, i used a torch, heated up the steel, and bent it to fit perfectly...
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

+1 for torch idea, theyre 10-15 bucks at home depot or lowes, than just take some vice grips and go to town