Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Appraisal for Galant HVAC Swap

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2010, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Appraisal for Galant HVAC Swap

I custom built an HVAC unit for my car, out of the stock HVAC panel and a Galant panel I got. Every single function still works, including Max AC and rear defroster, and it uses the stock Evo harness connectors and stock temp/vent cables. It bolts right in minus cutting one small hole in a bracket in the dash for the temp cable.

My question is how much it's worth? After doing a grip of work on this I decided to go a different route, and since it's a custom-built one-of-a-kind item, I have no idea what it's actually worth. I know Orbital kits go for $300ish, and this looks much nicer since the radio relocate kit is of the stock finish, and I think the Galant controls are nicer than those on our cars anyway.

Mods: I read the forum rules to see if this thread is allowed - my apologies if I misinterpreted something.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 02:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
20$

Ill give you 25 for it
Old Oct 31, 2010, 02:12 AM
Evolving Member

First you should post some pics, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder so let them be the judge accordingly.

Second, what did that HVAC unit cost you, plus the time you put in it. That should give to a price point to expect. Some guy in Orlando just sold his orbital for 200 and another guy in Conneticut for 150. So that 300 price range, well lets just say you can find an idiot willing to pay whatever price.

GLWS, after you sell it, maybe you could do a write up
Old Oct 31, 2010, 03:20 AM

Hmm, maybe I only found the high end of the price range for Orbitals. I don't know how many hours I put into it, but it involved plenty of work with a multimeter and taking apart both units. I had to modify the switches internally to disable toggle functionality, or use a Dremel engraver tool to scuff up the contact pads for the incandescent bulbs so I could solder LEDs in their place, for example. It was a lot more in-depth than I had budgeted for, but I had the Galant unit and dammit, I was going to do it (especially since it bothered me how hard it was to find Orbital kits and how the finish on the kits didn't match that great). It was all the reverse-engineering that was so time-consuming; I may be able to build a new one in part of a day, given a few hours, both units, and my prior experience.

I have attached a very fuzzy photo of the unit that I took back when I built it. I took many more pictures of the details of the unit, for example where I made solder connections. I'll have to go take it out of my car and take more pictures if you want them, but it's really just a stock Galant unit from the front. It's relatively easy to find photos of one on the Internet.

Also, the zip ties in the photo look a lot more ghetto than in real life. I could have used plastic weld and made it all pretty, but I wanted to make it possible to take apart again and zip ties were the only good way I could think of. Rest assured the unit isn't flopping around in any way.
Attached Thumbnails Appraisal for Galant HVAC Swap-29082010321.jpg  

Last edited by jkomets; Oct 31, 2010 at 03:26 AM.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

Do you have some pics of the unit installed?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 01:43 AM

I don't have the radio relocation kit so unless you're interested in a picture of it simply screwed in where the cubby used to be, I can only direct you to pages like the following:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...tion-viii.html
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it fully works, I will give you 100 bucks for it.