Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Android + Evo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
updated pics. Just got Bluetooth ELM and Torque Pro for datalogging
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What HVAC panel did you use to get the grain texture?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

NM, I forgot the RS had the textured radio bezel.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:27 PM

damn! hella clean!
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:08 AM

That looks great!
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:42 PM

Thats clean
Old Sep 19, 2011, 02:23 PM

thats awesome!
Old Sep 19, 2011, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

can you play music through this or are you still a silent RS anti music driver?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by unsungboxer
Thanks everyone, this is my 2nd EVO and 2nd attempt at a carpc: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...nux-carpc.html. Both times everyone is more interested in the hvac lol. Trick is to have the right tools. Can't dremel and hope to get good results considering doing this locally for a price. (pm me)

Since this I have found different apps to avoid the carhome app which is bad resolution. I have also created a solid perm mount and power switch. Evoscan and ecuflash are not yet avail on Android. I'll be impressed if evoscan can compete with torque, but willing to try. Hint hint hammish
and that's why I have a PC-based tablet with a windows operating system rather than a Droid. I'd love to do this as well. Looks great!
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
wow very very nice - how did you get it mounted like that? what's the power source, and does it turn on and off with the car? If googlemaps is working perfectly im gonna drop my pioneer set up for this one.

my set up is in the sig but with tabs coming out like they are ive been thinking about something like this for a solution

Also for things like hooking up the audio to the car speakers - all of this resolved? Does googlemaps/navigation use the monthly verizon data plan?

Last edited by kyoo; Sep 20, 2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, I will try to answer all these questions:

1. The tablet is mounted to the JDM Bezel. It was relatively easy to fabricate a mounting bracket from aluminum.

2. The tablet has its own internal battery but its charging cable is hard wired to the car. It wakes from sleep any time the power source is interrupted (i.e. when you turn the car on/off). I have the top of the bezel touching the power button, a firm press on the top of the bezel will power it on/off if necessary, although it is essentially always on.

3. To solve for the lack of power button, I remapped the Search Magnifying glass button to put the screen to sleep.

4. To solve for the lack of volume keys, I installed an on-screen volume application that is always running but hides when inactive.

5. Yes, google maps does use the data plan, small price to pay for awesome navi integration and internet radio.

6. I do not have audio fully hooked up. I have an RS, but am piecing together my "sound system". A mini amplifier will soon find its way into my car. For the time being I am making due with a bluetooth droid roadster speaker.

7. As for the comment about a windows based carpc - ya you get evoscan, but thats about it. I never liked having a computer under my seat, never used the CD/DVD aspect of it. Dealing with a non-native-touch operating system is a pain in the bum. Android in car is awesome.

8. Another cool feature I have setup is the Samba server on my home computer. I can download music/movies from my driveway.

Hope that helps! Thanks for all the replies
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by unsungboxer
Hi, I will try to answer all these questions:

1. The tablet is mounted to the JDM Bezel. It was relatively easy to fabricate a mounting bracket from aluminum.

2. The tablet has its own internal battery but its charging cable is hard wired to the car. It wakes from sleep any time the power source is interrupted (i.e. when you turn the car on/off). I have the top of the bezel touching the power button, a firm press on the top of the bezel will power it on/off if necessary, although it is essentially always on.

3. To solve for the lack of power button, I remapped the Search Magnifying glass button to put the screen to sleep.

4. To solve for the lack of volume keys, I installed an on-screen volume application that is always running but hides when inactive.

5. Yes, google maps does use the data plan, small price to pay for awesome navi integration and internet radio.

6. I do not have audio fully hooked up. I have an RS, but am piecing together my "sound system". A mini amplifier will soon find its way into my car. For the time being I am making due with a bluetooth droid roadster speaker.

7. As for the comment about a windows based carpc - ya you get evoscan, but thats about it. I never liked having a computer under my seat, never used the CD/DVD aspect of it. Dealing with a non-native-touch operating system is a pain in the bum. Android in car is awesome.

8. Another cool feature I have setup is the Samba server on my home computer. I can download music/movies from my driveway.

Hope that helps! Thanks for all the replies
very nice info, thanks. i was thinking about hardwiring the power source but i really didnt have an answer for the audio.. i guess i'll wait til someone rolls out a made for car android unit
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:24 PM

Thats awesome. I think I remember a discussion on this awhile back. Glad to see somebody actually got it working.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great!!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:19 PM
bwk

how do you get music from the android to the car stero..

Great Job!

Quick Reply: Android + Evo