Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

which flip out screens work in an evo 8?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2012, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question which flip out screens work in an evo 8?

hey i want to put in a flip out 7" screen in the bottom relocation radio din but i know some screens will hit the hvac controls. does anyone know any screens that will fit? i know the kenwood kvt 514 fits but i dont feel like spending $600 for it.
Old May 6, 2012, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Crutchfield.com <-- go there and put your car in. I have a Kenwood they all fit perfectly.. iv been threw tons... not because they broke because i always want more and more and the new models always have more and more. lol
Old May 6, 2012, 11:29 AM

i went on the website and it doesnt really help me with the fitment i saw the jensen flip out but im not sure if itll clear the hvac controls

Last edited by thebigp11; May 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old May 6, 2012, 05:22 PM

I'm willing to bet the Pioneer AVIC N4 or N5 will work. I have one but it's not in that location as I feel it sits too low. They've been discontinued for a while but you can still find some on ebay, but if you don't want to spend $600 then you really don't want one , at least one of name brand quality.
Old May 7, 2012, 02:31 PM

well i was talking to a friend of a friend who works at a sound system shop and said the jensen is a pretty underrated brand, he said its not top quality like pioneer or kenwood but it would def do what i need it to do but he was unable to tell me if it would fit. i dont want it in the upper din because im afraid that in the winter the back of the screen would get blasted with the heat and in the summer it would get hit with the ac and i dont want to mess up the screen because im sure screen would get messed up, my friend had 1 in his f-150 and it stopped working after awhile because it would get hit with the vents and his was a pioneer
Old May 7, 2012, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thebigp11
well i was talking to a friend of a friend who works at a sound system shop and said the jensen is a pretty underrated brand, he said its not top quality like pioneer or kenwood but it would def do what i need it to do but he was unable to tell me if it would fit. i dont want it in the upper din because im afraid that in the winter the back of the screen would get blasted with the heat and in the summer it would get hit with the ac and i dont want to mess up the screen because im sure screen would get messed up, my friend had 1 in his f-150 and it stopped working after awhile because it would get hit with the vents and his was a pioneer
flip out screens are so old school... do the double din DIY, i've had mine for quite some time and have yet to have any problems. mind you i live in south florida, where it gets close to 100 degress regularly, and you need to have the A/C blasting majority of the time.
Old May 7, 2012, 06:09 PM

i was thinking of that but theres a couple of reasons why that wouldnt work for me. one reason if because my evo is a daily driver and i sometimes leave it in parking lots/park and rides and i dont want any obvious reason to break into my car i already hate leaving it, and second im afraid to make the lower hvac controls myself because i dont want to mess them up and to buy 1 used off someone is about 100 plus the double din which is another 60 plus the 300-400 for the double din screen so im lookin at almost 600 to do that plus id lose my oem gauges which iv grown to like. so i figured the flip out would be great, if i could find 1 to to lol
Old May 7, 2012, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a jensen flip up head unit on my evo 8 in the normal radio din slot. i have had it over a year and through both the winter and the summer with both heat and cold air comming out of the vent and have had no issues.

i agree that the jensens arent top quality like other brands but they have alot of the functions compared to more WAY more expensive head units. you cant beat the quality you get for $300 lol

i didnt really want the double din also because the evo is already so conspicuous so i dont wanna give more reason for someone to break into my car.
Old May 8, 2012, 01:45 PM

Pix of a flip out screen?
Old May 8, 2012, 04:49 PM

carpedro, what do you think of the jensen? iv read alot of reviews and people say its good how do u like it in the evo?
Old May 8, 2012, 04:51 PM

and 20psiboosting this is what the jensen looks like in a car

Old May 9, 2012, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thebigp11
carpedro, what do you think of the jensen? iv read alot of reviews and people say its good how do u like it in the evo?
like i said. i think its good, not top of the line stuff though so dont expect miracles. but for the price it can compete with the bigger names. it does everything i want and more and since they sell the ipod cable for it that works with iphone, it makes this radio have features of ones 3 times the price. i can watch videos, youtube, netflix pandora etc. so its got good bang for its buck.

as pertaining to the evo, it only took me like an hour to install (first time installing a radio myself) and its fairly simple instal

for me, ocassionaly it doesnt connect my iphone so i turn off the radio and turn it back on and it works fine, and sometimes you can hear the fan spinning on it but the engine or the music mostly drowns it out
so i have no real complaints about it. just little things that im sure each radio has its own set of nusances, lol.
Old May 9, 2012, 02:14 PM

ok cool i dont have an iphone i have a regular ipod nano but the only thing i really need is an output to the amp, and i want it to be durable with the heat and a/c. (even though i dont ever put any of the settings past 1 because i baby my car)
Old Jun 6, 2012, 03:38 PM

I had a pioneer p6300bt and it worked perfectly. Im actually selling it if your interested. I got rear ended and the car got totaled out. Lmk if you want it! Still got the wiring harness and the bracket to fit on an evo!