Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Component speaker crossover wiring

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Component speaker crossover wiring

I'm planning on replacing my stock head unit and speakers, but I'm a little confused on how to wire new component speakers up front. I did a search, but never really found a straightforward answer. I know the stock wiring is something like this:

Head unit > front speaker signal wire > split at some point in dash > one branch to tweeter (includes resistor), one branch to door speaker

I also know that with my new component setup, I need the new wiring to look like this:

New head unit > speaker wire to door > crossover > one wire to new door speaker, one wire to new tweeter

If I knew where the split was for the stock tweeter/woofer, I could install the crossover there and reuse all the original wiring. However, nobody seems to know that, or they haven't posted it if they do.

So, can I simply clip the stock speaker wires at the door, connect that to the crossover, and run new wires to the tweeter/door speaker? Or do I have to run all new wiring all the way from the new head unit to the crossovers on each door?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. All the previous component speaker install threads have left me confused
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

The crossover has one input from the stereo head unit or amplifier and two outputs, one for the tweeter and one for the woofer. The easiest way to wire a crossover in the front of the evo is to run a separate wire for both tweeters and use the existing wire for the woofer. The best way would be to run new thicker wires for both, but it might be a challenge to run a new wire in the door to body wire bundle and it probably isn't important for reasonable say < 200 watts applications. I ran a new wire for my Infinity Kappa Tweeters and with a 50 Watt amplifier everything sounds great.

I was able to attach a squeeze the Infinity cross overs in the space between the outside of the center stack frame and the dash, roughly to the left and right of the stock head unit location. There is not much space under the dash left in my setup, so I had find a place to hide them. I connected the wires first and then bolted them in place in some custom holes.

Last edited by waynea; Jan 1, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by waynea
The crossover has one input from the stereo head unit or amplifier and two outputs, one for the tweeter and one for the woofer. The easiest way to wire a crossover in the front of the evo is to run a separate wire for both tweeters and use the existing wire for the woofer. The best way would be to run new thicker wires for both, but it might be a challenge to run a new wire in the door to body wire bundle and it probably isn't important for reasonable say < 200 watts applications. I ran a new wire for my Infinity Kappa Tweeters and with a 50 Watt amplifier everything sounds great.

I was able to attach a squeeze the Infinity cross overs in the space between the outside of the center stack frame and the dash, roughly to the left and right of the stock head unit location. There is not much space under the dash left in my setup, so I had find a place to hide them. I connected the wires first and then bolted them in place in some custom holes.
Awesome reply, that was really helpful. Thanks

I know some people mount the crossovers on the door panels next to the woofers, which seems like it would make it easier to run wire to the tweeters. What's the advantage or reason for mounting them inside the dash?

Also, should a 50w x4 RMS head unit be enough to power my Polk Audio DB6501 components at reasonable volume levels without distortion? Or do I need an amp?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

If you go onto Crutchfield.com they will show you how to do everything and personally using them would be better than having unknown people with unknown experiences telling you what to do. At least in Crutchfield they are the professionals in the field. Just sayin...
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I mounted my crossovers inside the doors (previous car) and corrosion was the problem!
Mount crossover inside the car.