Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Working on a NEW solution to Climate Control Relocation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2013, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working on a NEW solution to Climate Control Relocation

I have been wanting to do a double din in my car since I got it. These cars really should have been offered with them in the states. Anyway I read through all the threads about creating the lower climate control kit and started out along that path. I got quite far actually. But by the time I got everything cut I started noticing things I didn't like. For example the textured finish. I knocked it off of my original piece for the most part. The further I got though I became more and more frustrated with how it would turn out even under the best circumstances. So I opted to try to make one myself.

1.) My progress on the most common way. If anyone wants this piece PM me and when I am done with my new one we can work something out.

Digging around the internet I saw the Galant and Euro evo flat panels. That to me seemed like it would be the best solution....if you could avoid all the trouble it takes to use either of them. So I endeavored to create a flat panel for our current unit.

I started with a think piece of unknown home depot discount wood. It is smooth on one side and particleboard like textured on the other. This isn't really important though because it was only for template production. I knew I would have to make several before I got the holes and size right.

In order to get the general shape I used the radio/climate relocation kit from JNZ tuning (whom I definitely recommend, they have been quite helpful)
Anyway I just used a marker and traced the size from the inside of the box that way I knew the minimum size.

After I had the approximate size I mounted it to an extra/broken climate unit I had to get the location for all the holes

Now the biggest issue I ran into was how to access the push buttons that operate the Defrost, recirculation, and A/C. I chose black Zero Friction plastic golf tees. They were cheap and came with 50 so I could try a few different things without having to go out and get more. They aren't the ideal solution because the end that sticks out to push even when carefully sanded to a flat top doesn't look 100 percent. I am going to try to correct this by using a black plastic screw cap to go over the end of it, either adhering it with superglue or bondo. If anyone can think of a better solution please help me improve this.

The plastic insert that is used to the lower buttons and to help direct the light has to be cut to allow access to the push buttons when fully assembled.

After I was satisfied that everything was going to fit right I picked up a thin piece of Lexan from Home Depot and cut it down to the right size. This material though wants to melt apart instead of cut, I am not sure what would correct that but I just gave myself enough room that it didn't matter. Then when I was done I made the holes and started to sanding it. IF left clear it will allow to much light through, so I used 220 and then 400 on it until it was sufficiently hazy.

I installed it in my car to test it and see how the light was going to penetrate and to verify that all of the controls would work. When I go to finalize this project either I will have to trim the guiders off of the stock knobs or dig through a salvage yard to get some that are already flat. They function fin but there is a quarter inch gap.

I could have just used the stock stickers on a black background for this but instead I designed a whole vinyl decal. I will probably go with the more understated one when I have it printed. In order to get the color it needs to be I am using cheap red tint from ebay, and a small strip of cheap blue tint (for the cold side of the temperature control). It will make the new climate control match the stock gauges. The white will be printed as empty space on a vinyl printer.

I know this is all rough, but I am trying to create another option. Any assistance on technique or materials would be appreciated.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great idea!
Old Apr 7, 2013, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks

Today I have spent my time prototyping for the new climate control decal so everything is clearly visible and not covered.

Old Apr 10, 2013, 07:20 PM

how did relocating your cables turn out?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

The cables aren't that difficult really. You have to remove the driver side bracket and modify it by cutting to slits and bending it out. Once that is done the climate fits in the fine and the cables should just go right in.