Burned Tail Light Sockets - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Burned Tail Light Sockets

Old Oct 16, 2014, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Burned Tail Light Sockets

Interested in the cause-- running stock bulbs in the tail lights- decided to use LEDS and noticed that the sockets where burned around the light bulbs specifically the 7443 our outside light in the tail lights for an evo viii. Swapped out bubs none the less to led just to give them a try knowing I would need to make changes or add a resistor--but also thinking that the sockets wouldn't continue to heat up due to the low voltage draw of the LEDS-- 1 week later went to look at the set up and look for a place for the resistors, pulled the LED bulbs and to my surprise--the bulbs socket is melted literally destroying the LED bulb. So the socket with the wiring is burned as originally noted and that has caused the LED bulbs plug into the wiring to burn. I assume its excessive voltage (amps) draw melting the socket--anyone else seeing this? Fixes? thinking swapping the socket without addressing the issue will yield another melted socket--.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:36 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meckert View Post
Interested in the cause-- running stock bulbs in the tail lights- decided to use LEDS and noticed that the sockets where burned around the light bulbs specifically the 7443 our outside light in the tail lights for an evo viii. Swapped out bubs none the less to led just to give them a try knowing I would need to make changes or add a resistor--but also thinking that the sockets wouldn't continue to heat up due to the low voltage draw of the LEDS-- 1 week later went to look at the set up and look for a place for the resistors, pulled the LED bulbs and to my surprise--the bulbs socket is melted literally destroying the LED bulb. So the socket with the wiring is burned as originally noted and that has caused the LED bulbs plug into the wiring to burn. I assume its excessive voltage (amps) draw melting the socket--anyone else seeing this? Fixes? thinking swapping the socket without addressing the issue will yield another melted socket--.
What tail light bulb are you trying to use and LED in. You do realize your tail lights have 4 bulbs each right?

Something is drawing too much current. Voltage is not "drawn".

Voltage is a pressure.
Current is a flow.

there is a big difference.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 04:58 PM

Same Issue

Originally Posted by meckert View Post
I had to resurrect this thread because
​I have the same problem..
My brake light socket on both sides have melted. I have yet to find a "Fix" and even worse, I can't even source a new harness. I've found a few for a Galant, but not a Lancer/Evo. I havent even found one on eBay. Ideally I would like to source a new harness, and wire in a fuse, relay or resistor, but I'm willing to splice a new socket in if I can find a replacement. Does anyone know where to find a replacement, or know of a different model with the same harness or sockets?
If anyone can help, it would be very much appreciated!

Last edited by WelDun1; Nov 3, 2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

^You need OEM 8/9 taillight harnesses? I can consider selling you a set off of a pair of extra taillights I have. PM me the price you are willing to pay if you are interested.