Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Keyless entry fob not working!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keyless entry fob not working!

I hope someone can help me, I have no idea what I am doing wrong!

I go into program mode, hit the lock button once, then two more times and it confirms by locking and unlocking.

It still doesn't work... What gives?

I should mention, the previous owner I believe had an alarm system since there was an LED near my instrument panel, but nothing looks butchered...
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

I figured it out! I've had this issue since I bought the car back sept '10, and it feels good to get it working again!

That thing looks like it was tampered with. I just took both ends and taped them together with electrical tape and boosh! I checked to make sure everything else worked still including the ignition and it does. What is the point of it then? why does this exist, and both end just not be permanently connected?! ::
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

You are correct..... there is a lid that goes on that thing with a spring in it.

When you, or the PO of the car pulled the column cover off, they got a little aggressive, and it ripped the lid with the spring off, causing your car to not know when your key was out of the switch (this is why your key fob wouldn't work.)

Mine was the same way, it's called the key reminder switch. I got the part number from this thread.... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...or-switch.html and called my dealer and ordered it and I had it changed out in 35 min at the house.

Also, here is the link to the part # from Mitsubishiparts.net if you want to order it and put it back to its original state....http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/cart/?id=571&pn=MN101682

Last edited by lghtngyello03; Jul 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just lets the car know if there's a key in the ignition or not.

Def does not harm to have them connected at all times like you do. I've had it this way for over 3 years with no adverse effects. So you can rest assured you'll be ok.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:56 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
mine did the same thing. i couldn't use my key fob.. annoying key reminder going off at all times while the door was open. i real pain when i'm doing interior work and have to listen to it or leave the ignition in the "on" position. LOL.
i cut the tabs off of my wires, connected them with a butt connector, and pulled the OEM wire loom over it. no more annoying "ding...ding...ding.."
i figured if i were gonna get in there and pull it apart, i may as well just wire it together and save the cash (everywhere i looked was $30 shipped), since it was the same amount of labor either way. and no more breaking sensors. ever.
the only disadvantage is now i won't know if i leave my key in the ignition. i can't lock the car without having the key/fob with me.. so...

can't beat free fixes!

Last edited by kaj; Aug 25, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

I don't mind not hearing the ding. Hell i've forgotten the key in the ignition with the ding lol. I'd rather have keyless. I'll keep my $20 but thank you for adding some more info to the thread! hopefully it'll help people in the future!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:15 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by wazmunstr
I don't mind not hearing the ding. Hell i've forgotten the key in the ignition with the ding lol. I'd rather have keyless. I'll keep my $20 but thank you for adding some more info to the thread! hopefully it'll help people in the future!
yep. my keyless entry didn't work either. that was the worst part. using the key was so... 80s. LOL
Old Nov 7, 2017, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
What is the name of the part? On post #4 the guy lists the wrong Part/Part# and i cant find it anywhere.