Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Help: Key Sensor Switch

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help: Key Sensor Switch

Does anyone know how to fix it?

When installing my Greddy TT, I got a little rough with the steering column and broke the key sensor switch. The lid of that little white box came off and the springs inside are gone. Door dings whenever its open and I can use my remote to lock and unlock doors.

I've put everything back together and put the lid back on. I've been just using my key for about 4 or 5 months and I'm sick of it now.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

no one can help?
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:50 PM

I know this is a mad old thread but if you figured out how to fix this or if anyone has any info on this please PM me lol I bought my Evo with this annoying ding and can't figure out how to fix it and I wanna be able to use my autolocks again lol
Old Dec 3, 2011, 06:49 PM

Just go to your local dealer and get the part. I just replaced mine and it was around 10 dollars.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by atcmac3
Just go to your local dealer and get the part. I just replaced mine and it was around 10 dollars.
What's the part called though?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Red face

Originally Posted by atcmac3
I have this same problem and mitsuparts.net couldn't figure out what I was talking about. I'd like to know the part number to this as well or just a simple answer as what to call it.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 06:33 AM

IGNITION SWITCH - this has the bulb and everything in it.
Please Follow the Link Below
http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/cart/?id=571&pn=MN101682
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

You are the man! Next question, will the current key fob sync correctly to this or is there a resync processes to be done? Or.....is a new key fob required?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Just take the two wires and bridge them together and the door will never ding again. Problem solved.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Key fob still works that way?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to bring an old thread up from the dead, but my car has the same problem.

I spoke with someone at Mitsuparts.net, and this piece is called the starting switch, and that is has something to do with the vehicle immobilizer.

Anywho, does anyone know if when I replace this, will I have to take my car to get the key reprogramed? My remote is the only thing that doesn't work and I can't get to program because this little cover/spring is broken.

I am ordering this now, but would like some feedback on this.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Id like to just bypass the dam thing but the wires are to short, Is the part itself just the little white box? cause it looks like it comes off, anyone done this before? the two screws on the box look like a ***** to get to
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by c_sautter
I had mine replaced and I didn't have to reprogram anything. I had the annoying chime for the longest time, and after I locked my keys in car for the billionth time, I decided to just get it fixed. The lid the the box on mine broke, so there was no way for me to keep the two little springs that complete the circuit in there. I tried taping it and it worked for a while but then they popped out again. I then tried to superglue it but it hardened with the lid open a little so it still didn't work. If I would suggest anything to you, I would say to just replace it. The dealer had to take apart my whole steering column to replace it, so if that's what you're facing expect to pay a little bit but its worth it.
Already replaced and fixed.....bought the part from the Mitsu dealer locally for 35 bucks.

Now no more annoying ding ding ding, and my keyless now works

Took the upper and lower steering column covers off, and then the knee panel on the dash off to further ease taking it out.

Took every bit of 30 minutes to fix due to taking all that crap off to have room to get to the 2 tiny screws.

Oh yea, did I mention it only cost me $35 for the part and thats all I had to spend

If you are looking to fix your car from dinging with no key in just call the dealer, and give them the part number from here, and order this. http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/cart/?id=571&pn=MN101682

Take your upper and lower column covers off, and the knee pad on the dash, and your ready to start replacing this.

Oh here is a hint, don't put the knee panel in all the way near the ignition switch until you have got the column covers on all the way (other words, don't fully latch the clips into the dash. This is why everyone tears up the little white box with the spring in it, due to being lazy when they put a turbo timer in, and not taking down the knee pad to remove the column cover.

Last edited by lghtngyello03; Mar 13, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Damn if I had known this, I could have saved a lot of money. crap

Just curious what did you have to spend, if you want to share, it's cool if you don't too.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Nah its cool. I think I spent around 400, give or take some dollars to have them remove the steering column and install it. It didn't take that long, but it was long enough to where my wife picked me up and I went home and waited for them to call me. say about 2 hours or so

My goodness, that's why I will forever call them the stealership

I think they jipped you man. The only thing they had to take apart was the upper and lower cover on the outside of the column, and the lower piece of the dash under the column.

The ignition switch or anything didn't have to come off.

Once the covers are off there only 2 tiny screws, a light bulb, and a wire plug. But after you unplug the wire from the column, you have to take two of the existing wires off the plug on the key switch (pull from the back side of the connection and you have your wires with the pins only on the ends.)

Plug those two wires from the column harness with the pins on them into the new connector on the key reminder switch, and then plug the connector up, and put the 2 screws and the bulb in, and that's all there is to it (minus put all your plastic pieces back on the dash.)

Quick Reply: Help: Key Sensor Switch