Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Some headlight/HID help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some headlight/HID help

Hey guys i have a 2005 SSL and ran into a small problem. This being my first Evo i cant just look at it and know whats going on like a DSM! I guess the PO didnt bolt down the ballast for the driverside HID... Because it fell out and was smashed to nothing by the cars behind me. Now as far as replacing it im not sure where to go. Will any HID kit work? Are they all just plug and play? I hate electrical/wiring so this is my weak spot in cars.

Thanks in advance guys. Any companys you personally recommend?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
You either buy an OEM ballast so it can be re-attached to the headlight and seal the hole that it's covering, or you buy aftermarket ballasts, buy a connector / adapter thing or clip your stock one and solder on a new one, and then find a way to seal the hole in the headlight

easiest way is to buy a stock ballast from an evo
Old Jul 6, 2015, 03:55 PM

I origonally wasn't going to consider going back to OEM but after checking out some pics of how they look I don't really see a difference. Makes me question why they went aftermarket to begin with. OEM seems like the best option right now
Old Jul 7, 2015, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

does your car have fog lights?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
does your car have fog lights?
No fog lights.

Old Jul 7, 2015, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

then you don't have factory HID's; as far as i know the only hid's are ones with fog lights (which the SSL should have). get any ballast with a 9006 plug and they'll be plug-and-play

my go-to's are http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...-ballasts.html - ballasts have a standard 9006 plug on them so for your car they should be plug-and-play

quickest way to double check this is to pull your front bumper and take one headlight off
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:28 AM

then you don't have factory HID's; as far as i know the only hid's are ones with fog lights (which the SSL should have). get any ballast with a 9006 plug and they'll be plug-and-play

my go-to's are http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...-ballasts.html - ballasts have a standard 9006 plug on them so for your car they should be plug-and-play

quickest way to double check this is to pull your front bumper and take one headlight off
Weird. I noticed the fog switch is on the dash but there are no fogs. I'll have to check it out more. Maybe they were removed for some reason?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Could be car was in an accident, could be owner wanted some extra cash when he sold the car

your car also has evo 9 headlights on it, evo 8's were the chrome housings not the dark metallic color housings
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:48 PM

I have the factory Headlights with Foglights, is it the same for me? I can get a aftermarket ballast and just disconnect the oem and connect the aftermarket?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox5.56
I have the factory Headlights with Foglights, is it the same for me? I can get a aftermarket ballast and just disconnect the oem and connect the aftermarket?
Yes in your case this would be the best option to run aftermarket ballasts. You could ziptie the ballasts underneath the lights for a clean install.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoJimmy
No fog lights.

Yea these are EVO 9 NON-HID headlights. Show us a picture of the connectors to the headlights from the chassis side. The previous owner might have hacked the original connectors to use these headlights.