Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

EVO IX Open Door Dome Light Issue

Old Aug 8, 2015, 07:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EVO IX Open Door Dome Light Issue

Car is a 06 GSR with 103k

Issue: Dome lights will not turn on when the door is open

I've tried many things to troubleshoot this issue. I even swapped to a new ETACS which solved the problem for 3 days then it came right back. Issue randomly appeared about 4 months ago. I checked continuity, fuses, replaced fuses that weren't blow then finally put in a new ETACS, which fixed the problem, or so I thought. After 3 days with the new ETACS the dome lights will not turn on when the door is open. They work manually just not on queue for the door. Everything else on the car works fine.

It is a small issue that is really just an annoyance. Anyone have any other insight to what may be causing the issue?

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried all 4 doors (dumb question I know but had to ask)? Is the issue only isolated to a single door? If yes then I'm focusing on that door switch. If common to all doors and given the fact that replacing your ETACS fixed it for a short time, I would look closely at the connectors, harness, etc. around the ETACS. I would try removing the connector(s) and plugging it back in, tug on the harness, etc. and see if anything changes.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 06:03 AM

Yea, I've looked at the connectors on the harness and all is good. Can't find any corrosion.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
replaced the dome light switch?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
replaced the dome light switch?
The actual dome light assembly? hadn't thought of that since the light still works when I switch it to on. it worked fine when I swapped the ETACS for a few days. maybe the actual short location is with the dome light?

I really wanna figure it out before I burn through a third ETACS haha just for a small feature.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
could be that the switch is just wonky on the "door" position and isn't working correctly
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
could be that the switch is just wonky on the "door" position and isn't working correctly
Agree, and that is an easy test with a volt meter. Ground signal comes in on the door setting. Pull the dome light cover and measure on the incoming side of the switch. Red lead on the 12v+ side of the lamp, black on the input side of the switch.

You could also just measure for continuity through the switch in both positions.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 06:49 PM

I have about checked everything. I've come down to it may be the LEDs I have installed in my dome light. Even though LEDs are supposed to draw less current I'm thinking these are causing some issue. One of the things that I changed around the time I started having this issue. I'm going to change all bulbs back to regular and put another ECTAS in and see if the issue goes away.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 07:31 PM

Make sure you do one thing at a time so you know what actually fixes it.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 07:31 AM

So new discovery I found this morning.

The center dome light when switched to "DOOR" or the middle option will come on very dim if I switch the front map lights to OFF.

If I switch the front MAP lights to "DOOR" or the middle option it almost kills the center dome light

If I leave the MAP lights in the OFF position leave the center dome light in DOOR, the dome light stays always on in a very dim state but once I open any door it dims a little bit, but it never turns off so I have to switch it to off.

Now I'm thinking either my dome light or my MAP light assembly may be faulty.

Thoughts?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 04:09 PM

Ok, so I've replaced all the interior bulbs with regular bulbs, and now no light when in the DOOR (middle) position. I'l gonna pull the dome light and map light assembly and see if something is damage and maybe find someone to swap with and see if I have the same issue.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 09:19 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
check and tighten all your chassis grounds if you haven't already
Old Dec 4, 2015, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue. Any luck getting this resolved. I just picked up a new map light assembly from Mitsu yesterday but I haven't installed it yet. Do you really need to swap the ETACS?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by mattytuck411
I'm having the exact same issue. Any luck getting this resolved. I just picked up a new map light assembly from Mitsu yesterday but I haven't installed it yet. Do you really need to swap the ETACS?
I have replaced the ETACS once and it solved the issue for all but 3 days. Then on the 3rd day I was in my car detailing the inside with the door open lights were on then they just all of a sudden turned off. I'm starting to suspect it may have been the LED light I had in the dome housing but it draws less current than the traditional bulb and I have the same ones in my 06 STi and my wife's 08 IS350 with no issues. Since then I have switched all bulbs to standard bulbs and have a 3rd ETACS on hand lol. I'm checking grounds and such before I put it in and rick frying a 3rd one.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uneekvisions
I have replaced the ETACS once and it solved the issue for all but 3 days. Then on the 3rd day I was in my car detailing the inside with the door open lights were on then they just all of a sudden turned off. I'm starting to suspect it may have been the LED light I had in the dome housing but it draws less current than the traditional bulb and I have the same ones in my 06 STi and my wife's 08 IS350 with no issues. Since then I have switched all bulbs to standard bulbs and have a 3rd ETACS on hand lol. I'm checking grounds and such before I put it in and rick frying a 3rd one.
Bump...
Still haven't been able to resolve this issue, I was going to pay an hour or two labor at Mitsubishi to see if they could point me in the right direction. I too replaced my LED dome and map lights with standard bulbs. Replacing ETACS every week doesn't seem to be a permanent fix.