Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

2 Odyssey PC680s dead in a 2 week span.... coincidence?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 07:31 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmurray

engine was at operating temperature and only thing that wasn’t turned on was the headlights
Good, usually the alternator will drop to around 14.2ish volts when it's hot but that's no big deal. Sounds like your alt is fine then. Are you in an extreme climate? I noticed the cranking amps on those batteries really drops in the cold.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Good, usually the alternator will drop to around 14.2ish volts when it's hot but that's no big deal. Sounds like your alt is fine then. Are you in an extreme climate? I noticed the cranking amps on those batteries really drops in the cold.
nope... North Carolina. Definitely not extreme haha. Coldest it will get in a worst case scenario is like 20 degrees.

I do feel like something on the interstate is triggering a drain while driving. This issue has only happened immediately after a good interstate drive (25 minute commute)

what could trigger a drain while on the interstate?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 06:46 AM

there could be a thermal break in the alternator, or the system somewhere, or a bad fuse. Find a way to log/keep an eye on voltages while you are driving and watch for them to drop like the alternator just kicked off. A thermal break is when a connection has cracked but when everything is cold its still contacting, but when it heats up it separates.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure why I forgot to include this info earlier on in the thread. But Odyssey did an “autopsy” on the last battery that failed.

Attached the email and autopsy result below

Last edited by Bmurray; Dec 5, 2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 07:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
That's a weird occurrence. Is your positive terminal cable just barely reaching your battery?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by terror rising
That's a weird occurrence. Is your positive terminal cable just barely reaching your battery?
Nope
Old Dec 5, 2018, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Doubtful but could my nrg engine torque damper be causing an excessive vibration to the engine bay causing it??

Just thinking of anything that could possibly be it. Car does have solid mounts but has had them for a while. I did notice the new motor has a more significant vibration to it than my stock motor did.

Edit - when I get home tonight I’m going to make sure the battery tray isn’t loose or anything weird. Also isn’t there a motor mount under the battery tray? I’ll check that as well make sure I don’t find anything loose that could be causing a vibration from when motor swap was done.

Old Dec 5, 2018, 08:20 AM

Odyssey is telling you to replace your battery terminals. I actually had a problem where my negative cracked a long time ago at stock vibration levels. You should also check the connection on the alternator. If everything looks good though you can try cleaning all the contact surfaces. There is a ton of info out there on doing that so you can search.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Odyssey is telling you to replace your battery terminals. I actually had a problem where my negative cracked a long time ago at stock vibration levels. You should also check the connection on the alternator. If everything looks good though you can try cleaning all the contact surfaces. There is a ton of info out there on doing that so you can search.
im using the terminals that were supplied by odyssey. Didn’t think that’d be an issue.

Old Dec 5, 2018, 08:28 AM

im using the terminals that were supplied by odyssey. Didn’t think that’d be an issue.

Sorry, jargon fail. Im talking about the OEM clamps that attach to the battery. The positive is easy to replace OEM because they sell just that piece, the negative you can just use an aftermarket replacement instead of replacing the harness.

https://stmtuned.com/collections/mit...-oem-evo-7-8-9

You can check em out first and if they look fine then try cleaning them.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry, jargon fail. Im talking about the OEM clamps that attach to the battery. The positive is easy to replace OEM because they sell just that piece, the negative you can just use an aftermarket replacement instead of replacing the harness.

https://stmtuned.com/collections/mit...-oem-evo-7-8-9

You can check em out first and if they look fine then try cleaning them.
Sorry, I’m confused how my terminal clamps could be causing the excessive vibration?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 09:16 AM

Sorry, I’m confused how my terminal clamps could be causing the excessive vibration?
sorry for some reason the whole post wasn't showing up for me. All i saw was the email text. I see they had additional context. The internal terminals of the battery are fracturing because of vibration. So you have to either make the battery vibrate less or move it somewhere else.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 09:51 AM

You know how they say "Don't shake the baby" well your shaking that baby to death.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Still strange. Not like I’m the first Evo with a mini battery, built motor, solid mounts etc etc. there has to be something causing the excessive vibration I would think
Old Dec 5, 2018, 01:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
When I originally asked about the cable I was guessing that maybe the motor was moving enough to be pulling on the cable. Do you have the entire Torque Solution mount set? Do you have rubber underneath the battery? I'm still a bit baffled by this whole scenario.