Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

2 Odyssey PC680s dead in a 2 week span.... coincidence?

Old Dec 5, 2018, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by terror rising
When I originally asked about the cable I was guessing that maybe the motor was moving enough to be pulling on the cable. Do you have the entire Torque Solution mount set? Do you have rubber underneath the battery? I'm still a bit baffled by this whole scenario.
i have the 3 piece solid mount set. I believe it’s every mount except the one that mounts near the transmission? My installer said not to worry about that one. And you know I actually don’t have any rubber in the battery tray. But that’s how it has been installed for 3 years now and no issues up until now with this built motor
Old Dec 5, 2018, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
That seems like a very strange prognosis. Solution, get this battery: https://shoraipower.com/lfx36a3-bs12-p126

I've had one since 2014 and still working great. And since its a motorsports battery, its not bothered by vibration. Also its 540CCA and like 5# which is badass.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 03:17 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
That seems like a very strange prognosis. Solution, get this battery: https://shoraipower.com/lfx36a3-bs12-p126

I've had one since 2014 and still working great. And since its a motorsports battery, its not bothered by vibration. Also its 540CCA and like 5# which is badass.
You don't by chance know what kind of LIFePo4 cells that battery is using do you?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Lol, no clue. The good kind?

Give them a call and they should be able to answer your question as its over my pay grade. I will say however that I've spoken to them on the phone a few times and were more than helpful every time so they get my rec from both a product and customer service perspective which is rare this day in age.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmurray

i have the 3 piece solid mount set. I believe it’s every mount except the one that mounts near the transmission? My installer said not to worry about that one. And you know I actually don’t have any rubber in the battery tray. But that’s how it has been installed for 3 years now and no issues up until now with this built motor
I know most built motors don’t run balance shafts, I think Raif from RRT may not use them either possibly??? Could be why you notice a little more vibration. Do you run a crank damper? I run a 2.3 with the same Odyssey PC 680, I do run a fluidamper crank pulley, though I do keep a battery tender on mine only because I don’t drive it much and it would die , my first battery lasted like 10 years / 20,000+ miles keeping always on a tender always started up.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 04:33 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Wow, so glad to see you have found the culprit, but a bit disappointed in the failure analysis

I can see if this was an off-road, rally spec EvO, but for a road going car & for them to hang their hat on that report is disappointing (been a PC680 owner for years)

They should have offered up a battery under policy
Old Dec 5, 2018, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Wow, so glad to see you have found the culprit, but a bit disappointed in the failure analysis

I can see if this was an off-road, rally spec EvO, but for a road going car & for them to hang their hat on that report is disappointing (been a PC680 owner for years)

They should have offered up a battery under policy
for the record, they did honor 1 battery under warranty. then that battery went bad as well. Im sure they won’t honor another one under warranty.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 06:55 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

^^^Ok, ill cut them some slack

Just dont understand the frailty of the battery

Old Dec 5, 2018, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
^^^Ok, ill cut them some slack

Just dont understand the frailty of the battery

Lol yeah I guess. I didn’t go with Odyssey this time around. Went with the battery ETS sells on their website. They claim it’s better. And it does have more CCA than the odyssey.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 07:32 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Maybe my new S2's will rattle the teeth right out of my PC680
Old Dec 6, 2018, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Alright pulled the tray this morning. Only thing that was a little loose was this bracket. Tightened it back up. Going to buy some vibration dampening pad and put it under the battery.

We’ll see what happens. Guess that’s all I can really do. Short of relocating the battery to the trunk.

Old Dec 6, 2018, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Thats an odd failure for sure. I have my PC925 solid mounted to the frame, delrin like bushings for engine and trans mounts, balance shafts removed, extra loud exhaust (which causes most of the rattles), car rattles like none other and havent had the battery fail yet. Its been in there for 2 years now. First PC925 lasted a year but that was my fault for letting it die. This is in a full track car too, not an Evo. I still dont like Odyssey batteries but its the only one that fits my battery tray.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Just to update everyone -

Since installing my new ets battery tray along with their mini battery.. I have been problem free! Including multiple interstate drives, etc etc etc.

I believe the issue is gone!

One thing I did notice about this tray vs the other one is that the muse battery tray literally mounts into the 2 holes above the motor mount. The ets tray mounts up above it just a little bit. Not sure if the vibration would be much different there but never know

Anyways I do appreciate everyone's input on the thread and if the problem does happen again i will continue to update
The following users liked this post:
ETS Michael (Jan 8, 2019)
Old Jan 14, 2019, 01:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 382 Likes on 327 Posts
I think I broke 1 PC680 because I dont support the clamp when tightening and loosening the (+) terminal ( i used one hand only)
Old Oct 25, 2019, 06:04 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

@Bmurray

Well, i just order a new PC680 because my 680 was getting old & not holding a charge after 4.5 years. Ordered from Amazon & loaded the new battery Oct 2 2019.
The new 680 lasted 2 weeks & failed. I drove it only once to the gas station.

I hadnt driven the EvO in over a week & thought i would but the tender on it. I started the trickle charge in within 2 hours the Battery Tender was flashing alternating lights which is an indication of a bad battery. Sure enough the 680 was super dead (have not put my meter on it yet). Got a refund from Amazon & ordered a new one which i just installed yesterday

At this point, i think its shipping damage. The battery is shipped in a non protected box (same size as the battery). Im sure its gets thrown around during shipping & my guess is thats why it failed?

I called it into Odessy direct & the lady gave me the song & dance about parasitic load & that the battery was not designed for car usage

I will go your route if this happens again.

Search this Thread