2 Odyssey PC680s dead in a 2 week span.... coincidence? - Page 5 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

2 Odyssey PC680s dead in a 2 week span.... coincidence?

Old Dec 5, 2018, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by terror rising View Post
When I originally asked about the cable I was guessing that maybe the motor was moving enough to be pulling on the cable. Do you have the entire Torque Solution mount set? Do you have rubber underneath the battery? I'm still a bit baffled by this whole scenario.
i have the 3 piece solid mount set. I believe itís every mount except the one that mounts near the transmission? My installer said not to worry about that one. And you know I actually donít have any rubber in the battery tray. But thatís how it has been installed for 3 years now and no issues up until now with this built motor
Old Dec 5, 2018, 04:06 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

That seems like a very strange prognosis. Solution, get this battery: https://shoraipower.com/lfx36a3-bs12-p126

I've had one since 2014 and still working great. And since its a motorsports battery, its not bothered by vibration. Also its 540CCA and like 5# which is badass.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe View Post
That seems like a very strange prognosis. Solution, get this battery: https://shoraipower.com/lfx36a3-bs12-p126

I've had one since 2014 and still working great. And since its a motorsports battery, its not bothered by vibration. Also its 540CCA and like 5# which is badass.
You don't by chance know what kind of LIFePo4 cells that battery is using do you?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 04:36 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Lol, no clue. The good kind?

Give them a call and they should be able to answer your question as its over my pay grade. I will say however that I've spoken to them on the phone a few times and were more than helpful every time so they get my rec from both a product and customer service perspective which is rare this day in age.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bmurray View Post

i have the 3 piece solid mount set. I believe itís every mount except the one that mounts near the transmission? My installer said not to worry about that one. And you know I actually donít have any rubber in the battery tray. But thatís how it has been installed for 3 years now and no issues up until now with this built motor
I know most built motors donít run balance shafts, I think Raif from RRT may not use them either possibly??? Could be why you notice a little more vibration. Do you run a crank damper? I run a 2.3 with the same Odyssey PC 680, I do run a fluidamper crank pulley, though I do keep a battery tender on mine only because I donít drive it much and it would die , my first battery lasted like 10 years / 20,000+ miles keeping always on a tender always started up.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 05:33 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Wow, so glad to see you have found the culprit, but a bit disappointed in the failure analysis

I can see if this was an off-road, rally spec EvO, but for a road going car & for them to hang their hat on that report is disappointing (been a PC680 owner for years)

They should have offered up a battery under policy
Old Dec 5, 2018, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious View Post
Wow, so glad to see you have found the culprit, but a bit disappointed in the failure analysis

I can see if this was an off-road, rally spec EvO, but for a road going car & for them to hang their hat on that report is disappointing (been a PC680 owner for years)

They should have offered up a battery under policy
for the record, they did honor 1 battery under warranty. then that battery went bad as well. Im sure they wonít honor another one under warranty.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 07:55 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

^^^Ok, ill cut them some slack

Just dont understand the frailty of the battery

Old Dec 5, 2018, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious View Post
^^^Ok, ill cut them some slack

Just dont understand the frailty of the battery

Lol yeah I guess. I didnít go with Odyssey this time around. Went with the battery ETS sells on their website. They claim itís better. And it does have more CCA than the odyssey.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 08:32 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Maybe my new S2's will rattle the teeth right out of my PC680
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Alright pulled the tray this morning. Only thing that was a little loose was this bracket. Tightened it back up. Going to buy some vibration dampening pad and put it under the battery.

Weíll see what happens. Guess thatís all I can really do. Short of relocating the battery to the trunk.

Old Dec 6, 2018, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Thats an odd failure for sure. I have my PC925 solid mounted to the frame, delrin like bushings for engine and trans mounts, balance shafts removed, extra loud exhaust (which causes most of the rattles), car rattles like none other and havent had the battery fail yet. Its been in there for 2 years now. First PC925 lasted a year but that was my fault for letting it die. This is in a full track car too, not an Evo. I still dont like Odyssey batteries but its the only one that fits my battery tray.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.