Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Hitachi CSB HRL1280W / Mini Battery / EvO

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2019, 05:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hitachi CSB HRL1280W / Mini Battery / EvO

• Been running the mini-battery setup for over 12 years. Have used only the Odyssey PC680 w/good results. They have lasted 4 years or so until now
  • 1 month ago ordered, from Amazon, a replacement for a 4 year old PC680. Received & installed the 680. The battery lasted less than 2 weeks. Actually failed on the Battery Tender, topping it off.
  • The Tender had the dreaded alternating lights flashing indicating a potential battery failure.
  • Immediately contacted Amazon & received a prompt refund.
  • Long story short, the replacement 680 failed in the same exact fashion. Performed a parasitic load test & on all my 3 cars (including the EvO) showing approx 120 milliamps which is out of range but all 3 cars are the same. Dont think my EvO drained the PC680 as they both failed on the tender
  • Both failed PC680 have a remaining voltage of 6.74 & 5.65 (they are toast)
  • My theory is shipping damage to the PC680's as the shipping box was not protected vs the Hitachi which came in a proper box
  • So far this Hitachi CSB HRL1280W / mini Battery has been in the EvO for over 2 weeks & all is well.
  • Note: Although the main case of the CSB & the PC are the same size, the top cap on the CSB is just a bit wider in which i had to flip my top alum cap upside down to make it work
  • Also, the female threads on the PC are an M6 vs the CSB being a M5 so the upper terminals will not transfer

Will never order another Odyssey PC680 again

Hope this helps one of you guys

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Nov 29, 2020 at 03:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SoSoEVO (Nov 19, 2019)
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Interesting. Good to have more options.

I had a similar problem when I replaced my 5-year old Deka this year. I bought the exact same battery from Deka via a local retailer. It dropped to <9V in under a month. They replaced it, but the replacement also failed.

I gave up and switched to a giant, cheap lead acid until I can find a trustworthy replacement. Maybe I'll try this Hitachi version.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 08:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Great post Joe...I'm still going back n forth between getting a mini battery or relocating the normal battery to the trunk. But thanks for letting us know that the Odyssey PC680isn't what it used to be.
MinusPrevious (Nov 20, 2019)
Old Nov 20, 2019, 08:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Hey SoSo. Yeah failed 2 PC680's in a month

So far that Hitachi CSB is on the tender & working just fine. Not to mention it is approx $40.00 less expensive

Same battery as the ETS kit
SoSoEVO (Nov 20, 2019)
Old Nov 28, 2020, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSoEVO
Great post Joe...I'm still going back n forth between getting a mini battery or relocating the normal battery to the trunk. But thanks for letting us know that the Odyssey PC680isn't what it used to be.
Old thread, but what did you decide to do? I have a modest stereo system (<500w) and I think a small battery is a bad idea for me, but at the same time, I don't rely on the car everyday. It is a shame Odyssey batteries have been hit by the suck ray. I had been turned off of Optima batteries for the same reason.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 07:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Old thread, but what did you decide to do? I have a modest stereo system (<500w) and I think a small battery is a bad idea for me, but at the same time, I don't rely on the car everyday. It is a shame Odyssey batteries have been hit by the suck ray. I had been turned off of Optima batteries for the same reason.
@GPTourer
The Hitachi CSB HRL1280W has been in my EvO for a year now & works like a champ. I do keep it on the tender as the EvO only gets driven rarely. I think your 500W radio is fine. Just dont run it too long w/out the engine running

Not sure what SoSo is running right now. Maybe he'll chime in

Cheers
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
The Hitachi CSB HRL1280W has been in my EvO for a year now & works like a champ. I do keep it on the tender as the EvO only gets driven rarely. I think your 500W radio is fine. Just dont run it too long w/out the engine running

Not sure what SoSo is running right now. Maybe he'll chime in

Cheers
Thank you. I had been considering this kit from ETS:
https://www.extremeturbosystems.com/...89-battery-kit
Looks like that is what you are using, but do you have a higher grade battery then the one that they supply? Does it have the same form factor and fit in the same tray?
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah, the form factor is the same. Same size & fits in my tray (Nisei tray). The female terminals are M5 vs M6 on the Odessey so you will have to account for that change.

I ordered the following below but now shows unavailable on Amazon, but searching the model spec: Hitachi CSB HRL1280W (it shows availability & seems like the same parameters (double check that!)