Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Comparing the 5 speed EVO trans to the 6 speed MR trans

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2004, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 speed has a shorter throw and smoother movement
Old Nov 28, 2004, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by BADWRX
No, I broke 2 POS 5MTs, then I spent a hefty 4 grand on a 6mt from Japan with a suretrac front lsd.

Then I sold it last year and bought the Evo.
the transmission was not designed to handle the power of a modified car. it was made to handle its stock power, which it manages just fine. i own one and i like mine, its a little finicky in the cold but otherwise no real difficulty to drive.

some transmissions can handle more power than others but no car maker tells you they made their car so that people could modify it for large horsepower, and definitely none of them promote or encourage it.

how did you manage to break yours?
Old Nov 28, 2004, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by gtr
The last time i drove a WRX I recall it doesn't down shift to 1st and will grind if you rev match it and force it in first 6MT is stronger than the 5speed on the rex based on people's bad experience at dyno day and etc.
the 6 speed subaru (factory) transmission can handle more modified power than the 5 speed yes.

let me give you some elightenment, 1st gear on any manual transmission was not designed to be downshifted to. you never ever use 1st gear for anything but one purpose and that is moving from a dead stop

there are too many MT cars in the hands of novices and noobs that do not understand the principles behind the transmission. just because some cars can downshift into 1st, be it roughly or smoothly doesnt not mean it was meant to be done in the first place!

the second extremely idiotic noob concept i find amusing is the "launch"

i laugh so much at hearing this. stock/factory cars (non-race prepped) were not designed for this sort of thing. no stock car ever was.

its called abuse just like downshifting into first and was never meant to be done.

if you are drag racing and you want to cut down times by launching by all means go ahead, but just remember, the damage that comes with it is normal. regardless of the extent, it too is not some sort of essential function the transmission was designed for.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by JF1GD2
okay i just thought that was weird that you said that cause i never mentioned "ZF" in my post.

i made a typo last post, i meant is R in the top left area or bottom right.
O yea Bottom right...sorry
Old Nov 29, 2004, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hank
93% Japan, 2 USA so theres 95%?? says trans is from Japan but its a Getrag.
ZF is also German fyi
Interesting. The one MR that I have seen (and sold) said 100% Japanese parts.
I've not really paid attention to where the 6th gear was. I thought ZF made the 6-speed for the Camaro and WS6, or was it Borg-Warner? Its upper right?
Old Nov 29, 2004, 10:54 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
let me give you some elightenment, 1st gear on any manual transmission was not designed to be downshifted to. you never ever use 1st gear for anything but one purpose and that is moving from a dead stop

there are too many MT cars in the hands of novices and noobs that do not understand the principles behind the transmission. just because some cars can downshift into 1st, be it roughly or smoothly doesnt not mean it was meant to be done in the first place!
I take it that you never auto X before
Old Nov 29, 2004, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gtr

I autocrossed and I never remebered shifting into first on any car that I have autocrossed

the WRX 5sp is crap I have broke 3 my self
Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:26 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Eric Lyublinsky
I autocrossed and I never remebered shifting into first on any car that I have autocrossed

the WRX 5sp is crap I have broke 3 my self
You definitly have to shift in 1st with 1 cone U turns. I recall it was when they down two cones pointed at one cone.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gtr
You definitly have to shift in 1st with 1 cone U turns. I recall it was when they down two cones pointed at one cone.

again I have never had to and I was always 3r or 2nd in my group sometimes 1st

Sorry 2nd gear all the time worked best for me.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Shifting to 1st while rolling is just bad business, IMO, especially in a Mitsubishi. There's a reason why the car fights against you from doing it.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mycarspimp
6 speed has a shorter throw and smoother movement
All 2005 Evo 5 Speeds come with Teflon coated shifter cables for smoother movement.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by gtr
I have autocrossed before. With a 6 speed Volvo S60R.

Read what GPTourer last posted, he is one of few people with intelligence and common sense about a manual transmission.

the damn car was not designed to be shifted into first while rolling!

i become livid having to tell newbs this. sure it may not be practical when autocrossing to come to a complete stop to shift into first even though youre supposed to know that an MT wasnt designed for shifting into 1st when rolling like i just said!

its the same argument for people who drag race. do you think youre clutch was made for drag racing? hell no. people decided to do pleasurable and stupid things with their cars but that never meant they were designed with that purpose in mind.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 05:03 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

youre supposed to know that an MT wasnt designed for shifting into 1st when rolling like i just said!
In the WRX I agree. Biggest peice of crap trans I ever drove. Downshifing to 1st on the evo feels like downshifting to 2nd. I don't know what you guys are talking about. I never had problem with down shifting to 1st on my previous cars either. (M3/ Mustang GT). The WRX was my first encounter with the 1st gear problem and there was complaints on the old i-club regarding this issue. To advoid the problem many people just heel toe to get it in gear but I still dont' like it. Guess what the new STi 6sp has no problem with downshifting 1st after 2003.

You have driven an evo or the STi correct. 1st gear is like any other gear in the tran.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

I've noticed that my 5 speed MT is not as smooth as the first day I bought the car, it may be time for a fluid change...

I've only been driving a MT for 10 years, a lot shorter then some of you but in that time I've never had any problems down shifting into 1st with any of my cars. As long as you correctly rev match and smoothly enguage the clutch its no different then taking off from a standstill, actually its less stress on the drivetrain then starting off in first gear if done correctly because the car is already moving.

just my $.02
Old Nov 30, 2004, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

I thought double clutching was an operation for allowing you to shift down to 1st without hurting much of anything. Correct me if I'm wrong, but i thought by double clutching while downshifting to first to in affect reset the synchros while braking and rev matching so that the car slides into first smoothly. It may not be "designed" to do that, but then again just like anything else if you know how to manipulate a car or a car system to work safely what difference does it make? I'm no pro, I could be wrong....My dad was a SCCA Solo II state champion 3 or 4 years in a row and uses the double clutch method and actually taught it to me. I don't consider him a "newb"....he seems to have a decent idea of whats going on. I've had a Subaru 2.5RS, Supercharged 330xi, and now the Evo and haven't had any problems once I had the technique down.

Quick Reply: Comparing the 5 speed EVO trans to the 6 speed MR trans