Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Comparing the 5 speed EVO trans to the 6 speed MR trans

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2004, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GPTourer
I agree that double clutching and rev matching can make downshifting to first smoother and without grinding, but only for like parking situations - something around 10mph or less. To me, that is what the three synchros are for, so your 30K car doesn't grind and balk when just trying to manuever between speed bumps at the local strip mall. But, autocross is a different story - its the whole competition versus daily use compromise thing. Maybe you guys should look into getting dog cut cears and forgoing synchros all together. Would that help with downshifting easier, at the expense of daily comfort?
FYI, you dont double clutch a car that has synchronizers. that's a trick suited for cars without them, i.e. 60's british sports cars.

i wish i could get all these MT noobs in the room to understand 2 factual concepts that should never be done.

those are:
1. never double clutch a car that has a synchronized transmission like i just said
2. 1st gear is only used for one purpose; for the purpose of moving from a complete stop
Old Dec 5, 2004, 06:16 PM
Former Vendor

does anyone know if the 6 speed can be used if i put another lsd in the transfer case, [ say the one from my 03] to eliminate any wireing hassles of the electronic lsd
Old Dec 5, 2004, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JF1GD2
FYI, you dont double clutch a car that has synchronizers. that's a trick suited for cars without them, i.e. 60's british sports cars.

i wish i could get all these MT noobs in the room to understand 2 factual concepts that should never be done.

those are:
1. never double clutch a car that has a synchronized transmission like i just said
2. 1st gear is only used for one purpose; for the purpose of moving from a complete stop
answer to number 1: being a previous owner of a WRX I know how imposible it is for you to get into first unless you are stopped. But when autocrossing I will rev match around a slow corner to get a better time. When you rev match you are making the syncros work less. they have to speed up or slow down the gear less.

BTW I am not a MT n00b

Ben
Old Dec 5, 2004, 06:18 PM
Former Vendor

i want the 6 speed for my 03
Old Dec 5, 2004, 06:20 PM

go e-mail subaru.com, or read theor publication DRIVE magazine and theyll tell you the same thing I said in number 1.

it is difficult to do yes, but regardless of what car you drive, even if another downshifts to 1st easily, you never do it!
Old Dec 5, 2004, 06:36 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps on a subbie 5-speed. They don't use triple synchronizer for their health.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by gtr
Perhaps on a subbie 5-speed. They don't use triple synchronizer for their health.
...and honda uses cable shifters in their cars

what do you expect on an inexpensive performance car? leather, heated seats and navigation too???

it has single synch on 1st, double on 2-5. you're still missing the point, a manual transmission was never designed to be shifted into first while moving, rolling, or being at anything but a complete stop

you can only budget so much into any car in regards to the synchronizers. hell if you want 6 gears in an evo you have to pay another $3,500-5,000. you can only give so much until you're no longer making a profit.

every car has it's demons, too. EVO's eat up clutches and transfer cases, does that make it a less desirable car? despite that, for $29,000 it's still a great performer and a great value, just like the WRX is a great value for $22,000 (bought mine for 21,800 new)
Old Dec 6, 2004, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I should have clarified more. I was thinking of a parking situation where you go from reverse to first and perhaps back again. I guess that isn't the same as double clutching, but you usually have to slow down and shift to neutrual, clutch out then in then to first to keep from grinding - especially in a DSM, but in Evos too. But I do occasionally have to double clutch if I coast up to a speed bump in second and want to accelerate away from say 5mph in first - it does take some stress off the synchros.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 05:53 PM

So who makes the EVO MR's transmission then? Do we know yet??
Old Mar 4, 2005, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Why would the number of gears make a difference in strength limits?
Old Mar 4, 2005, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Theibault
Why would the number of gears make a difference in strength limits?
You gotta get more parts in the same available space.... Thus the parts get smaller, less material, less strenght, more fragile..... Still, the 6 speed tranny in the EVO should be plenty strong enough for the car as it is designed for it.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 07:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MR-SilverEVO8
You gotta get more parts in the same available space.... Thus the parts get smaller, less material, less strenght, more fragile..... Still, the 6 speed tranny in the EVO should be plenty strong enough for the car as it is designed for it.
Yes, this is very true. However the MR 6 speed is not stuffed in the 5 speed case, instead it has its own bigger case which looks bigger from every aangle than the 5 speed , therefore I dont suspect that the gears are any weaker.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

No Comparrison The Mr 6 speed Is 100% Better Than The 5 Speed!

Last edited by evoRS04; Mar 5, 2005 at 08:01 AM.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dafarmer69
i want the 6 speed for my 03
If you buy new from the dealer you are looking at $7000 in parts alone.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Eric Lyublinsky
I have driven the 6spd MR and I love the MR but the 6gears are just not need over the 5spd. Just another shift witch is not really useful on the street it might be on the track but on the street 5spd it ****.

IMHO
ERIC
It may not be noticeable at the track, but it is very noticeable on the way home when you save on gas even at higher speeds.

Quick Reply: Comparing the 5 speed EVO trans to the 6 speed MR trans