Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dealer Replaced 3 synchros!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2004, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Replaced 3 synchros!

Hey all,

It all started when i got the notice in the mail for that fan switch recall. I brought my car up to DARCARS Mitsubishi, the dealer i got it from. While i was there i mentioned that my synchros had been grinding a bit too often and that i heard there'd been a service bulletin on replacing the 5th gear synchro.

I ended up taking a spin with the transmission tech over there as he diagnosed my synchro problem, and he told me he'd replace the 3-4 and 4-5 synchros, because they felt the least bit too tight. I didnt even know that the 3-4 was on the bulletin! But wait...it gets better. I don't know how many of you experience grinding going into second when you're hauling ***, but i noticed this and so did the tech...SO he replaced that one too!

To top it all off i had him install my new ACT HDSS clutch, because he pointed out that since all the labor was warrantied for the synchros and that the tranny comes out for that anyway, i would only pay 1 hour's labor extra for the clutch install. Thats just what i payed, and i couldn't be happier. Clutch feels great, as my stock one was starting to slip/stutter easing it out in first. I have about 17k on the car. Shame on you mitsubishi! However, i can't complain because they just hooked me up. This is a great way to get almost completely out of paying for labor for your clutch install! So, if you have a grinding 5th gear synchro, don't hesitate to visit your local

cheers
Old Dec 1, 2004, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't put it passed to be setting you up for a warranty voiding with that new clutch. Unless your dealership is cool with mods, I would watch out.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Hey are you mod'd at all or completly stock? I'm looking for a cool dealership around the MD / DE / NJ / VA area.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sweet - good call on getting the clutch done.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

I would be very happy.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
i have a 3rd gear grind, i am going to go to mitsu and hope they fix it.. The car only has 7k on it and has been doing it for a few K.. I tried chanigng the gear oil and didnt really help.. I doubt they will warrenty it because of mods, but it is worth a try before i put my turbo kit on..
Old Dec 1, 2004, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

Where did you read about this service bulletin for the 5th gear? I just looked up our car on Edmunds.com and it said nothing about a service bulletin for fifth gear or a recall for a fan switch. Please post up where you got this information.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

I also had my 5th gear replaced for free, I was stock back then.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

There is actually a long thread that has the info about the TSB in it. But this should help.

"Model: LANCER
Year: 2003
Service Bulletin Number: 0322001
NHTSA Item Number: 10005282
Summary Description:
NEWLY CONFIGURED 5TH GEAR SYNCHRONIZER SLEEVE FOR 2003 LANCER EVOLUTION MANUAL TRANSMISSION. *PH
Old Dec 2, 2004, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

so are you suppose to set this up with your dealership or it mitsu going to send any mail to us.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

i have had my trans rebuilt once and now its grinding again in fourth and fifth so if anyone has this same please email me thanks KAvenger97@aol.com
Old Dec 8, 2004, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Vroompsh
I ended up taking a spin with the transmission tech over there as he diagnosed my synchro problem, and he told me he'd replace the 3-4 and 4-5 synchros, because they felt the least bit too tight. I didnt even know that the 3-4 was on the bulletin! But wait...it gets better. I don't know how many of you experience grinding going into second when you're hauling ***, but i noticed this and so did the tech...SO he replaced that one too!

To top it all off i had him install my new ACT HDSS clutch, because he pointed out that since all the labor was warrantied for the synchros and that the tranny comes out for that anyway, i would only pay 1 hour's labor extra for the clutch install. Thats just what i payed, and i couldn't be happier.
Your lucky, to have such a good dealer.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blowoffsilver
i have had my trans rebuilt once and now its grinding again in fourth and fifth so if anyone has this same please email me thanks KAvenger97@aol.com
please see this thread if you've had the 5th gear problem come back after the dealer fixed it:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=115380