Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Super charger/ Turbo pics

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2008, 12:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
It is very hard to improve on a simple vaneless, pulsated flowing, twin scrolled turbine. The stock turbo is the best charger in the world for an evo - UNTIL 6000RPM
guess you have never seen what a worked on stock turbo can do!
Old Jan 25, 2009, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by ae25
hi 3240
any chance you'd spend the time to explain your 'simplistic' bypass valve for other enthusiastic twincharger builders?

another highlight is see in your system is the water/air(?) cooler using aircon. quite an evolution in itself! from what you say this was very effective and im sure more people other than me would be interested in knowing more! especially in how it operated. im guessing it was using water as a medium to a heat exhanger with the aircon cooling it?
Which bypass valve are you talking about? I knew/know a decent amount about this car.

If you mean the valve that separated the SC and turbo? I'm about 90% sure it was a large throttle body driven by some sort of electric actuator. It was connected to an adjustable electronic pressure switch in the turbo charge pipe. When a given amount of boost was seen by the pressure switch the SC electronic clutch disengaged (no more wasted effort turning SC) and the actuator switched the intake path to "all turbo." I don't recall if the pressure switch and all that was linked to the ECU. It may have been. Autronic ECUs can do all sorts of fun things with the extra inputs/outputs.

As for the A/C cooling system, you hit it on the nose. Water tank in the trunk that accepted ice, as well as the A/C system cooling the water in the system if you engaged it.

I got to ride in this car a few times when it was finished before it "confused" AMS. It was completely out of hand. If you were rolling at 1500RPM and punched the throttle the wheels were immediately struggling for traction. Just when you thought it was crazy enough, the damn turbo would spool. It pulled like The Gravitron at a county fair. Unreal. It ruined my sense of speed. I bought a GT30R for my own car, and I know it swill won't be able to match that.

And a note...someone should contact AMS and buy the side-mount mani. Then contact me because I have one of the turbos this car used (same one, new) sitting in my room.

ETA: I just read some more of this old-*** thread, and jesus christ, High PSI is a douche.

Last edited by CKxx; Jan 25, 2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 01:36 AM
Evolving Member

Wow I read through all 59 pages.

Ha ha I could of course be like some people on here and say that he "cut and ran"

But my hell he was pushing if I remember right 35 psi at 4500 rpms? 3240 if you still come on how is the Cayenne coming along? Would you ever dare try this again? Or would you stick with the twin turbo charger idea that you mentioned a few pages ago.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, blast from the past!

This was an interesting project but I wouldn't do it again. I live in CO and the car was built by someone in PA. The build was unique making it difficult to maintain. There was really no one in CO capable of fixing/maintaining the car.

This Evo was one of the first available in CO and began modifications almost from day 1. There weren't many options available when mods started. The original build was a 2.3L running an HKS3240 turbo. Later on we decided to do something a little different. Altitude is a killer and this particular build was desinged to run a large turbo without lag. Today, Evo mod options are really dialed in and there's no point in re-inventing the wheel unless the goal is to build something totally different. It was fun!

I still run the Cayenne but it's very difficlut to launch due to all of the nanny controls meant to protect the tranny. A few weeks ago I ran this car at Bandimere and trapped between 105 MPH and 107 MPH. The altitude correction factor was 8500' absl! It's a real killer.

My favorite car to race is a GT2. The attached video was taken on the same day as mentioned above. The car was making 5-6psi less than it did at sea level. Turbos aren't as effecient at this altitude. This is a high 9 second car but this was the best that I could do on this particular day considering the conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkgl2_ocwSA
Old Jul 6, 2009, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3240

This was an interesting project but I wouldn't do it again. I live in CO and the car was built by someone in PA. The build was unique making it difficult to maintain. There was really no one in CO capable of fixing/maintaining the car.

This Evo was one of the first available in CO and began modifications almost from day 1. There weren't many options available when mods started. The original build was a 2.3L running an HKS3240 turbo. Later on we decided to do something a little different. Altitude is a killer and this particular build was desinged to run a large turbo without lag. Today, Evo mod options are really dialed in and there's no point in re-inventing the wheel unless the goal is to build something totally different. It was fun!

I still run the Cayenne but it's very difficlut to launch due to all of the nanny controls meant to protect the tranny. A few weeks ago I ran this car at Bandimere and trapped between 105 MPH and 107 MPH. The altitude correction factor was 8500' absl! It's a real killer.

My favorite car to race is a GT2. The attached video was taken on the same day as mentioned above. The car was making 5-6psi less than it did at sea level. Turbos aren't as effecient at this altitude. This is a high 9 second car but this was the best that I could do on this particular day considering the conditions.

Glad to see you are still around!
Old Jul 6, 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 3240

Is that your Porsche?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

It is.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats one sick porsche
Old Jul 6, 2009, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Nice looking porsche! That's cool that you are still having fun with the Cayenne.

It was a really interesting topic with the twin charger. I can't believe how much boost you were making with that large turbo at such a low rpm. I have thought about doing a lot of things like this. Ha ha then I found your thread and thought omg someone has already thought of my ideas damn!

I know what you mean about elevation. I live in SLC. Its about 4400 above sea level here. I use to live in a city called Vernal here in Utah and it is about same elevation as Denver. You did an excellent job on your car. It does suck that you had to let the car go. It would be hard working on a car and staying excited when you don't see it every day.