Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My 10.5 Hotside Install & How-To

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2006, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixit
newbie question...
so the diameter of the 9.8 is 3.53cm and the diameter of the 10.5 is 3.65cm -- in other words the outlet is just bored out and additional .12cm (.3")-- right?
I believe there's more to it than just that, the outlet is radiused. I'm not sure which part of the outlet is larger. I will be taking measurements of both the 10.5 and 9.8 hotsides at some point to try and figure it out in a more definative manner...
Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:54 PM

Just did this upgrade on my 03 with the ebay O2 housing and WOW, big difference. Thanks for the write-up.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by cdavy
Just did this upgrade on my 03 with the ebay O2 housing and WOW, big difference. Thanks for the write-up.

I cant decide if im going to do this or just do a IX turbo with Ebay O2.....time will tell i guess.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 08:39 PM

"Then you'll need to remove the manifold. Once you have everything unbolted, it will take some convincing to get the manifold out. But trust me, it can be done, as seen below...."

CONVINCING? That's the understatment of the century....I'm in the middle of this right now, and I am at a lose. I just cant get this thing out. This job has been a nightmare for me thus far....it started with my o2 sensor socket rounding off the corners of the O2 sensor, thuus making its removal impossible. it has snowballed from there. I'm think now the radiator has to come out....uuuhg!!
Old Apr 27, 2006, 08:42 PM

Don't forget the O2 housing is bolted to the block too, if you forget that bolt it can really seem overly impossible to remove... Just a thought as it took me a minute or three to figure that out.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

I took my radiator out because I didn't want to booger it up. It gave me much more room to work. Two bolts at the top and the hoses and it'll pull right up, don't forget to unplug the fan module. Good Luck. I soaked my o2 sensor and manifold bolts down the night before.

Originally Posted by luscious
"Then you'll need to remove the manifold. Once you have everything unbolted, it will take some convincing to get the manifold out. But trust me, it can be done, as seen below...."

CONVINCING? That's the understatment of the century....I'm in the middle of this right now, and I am at a lose. I just cant get this thing out. This job has been a nightmare for me thus far....it started with my o2 sensor socket rounding off the corners of the O2 sensor, thuus making its removal impossible. it has snowballed from there. I'm think now the radiator has to come out....uuuhg!!
Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:37 PM

Old Apr 28, 2006, 08:02 AM

I'm not going to reuse that O2 sensor...I don't even know if I'll be able to remove it from the stock O2 housing, let alone get it tightened down in the new one!
Old May 1, 2006, 07:33 AM

Well, I finished up my 10.5 hotside & ebay o2 housing yesterday. Here is my advice based upon my epxeriences:

That damned O2 sensor. Do this FIRST. Be careful, and make sure your O2 socket is on the sensor straight! Once its out, dont touch the sensor itself, or get anti-siezr, or anything else for that matter, onto it. Take your time....

Take out the radiator...just do it. You gain so much more room. On that note, there isn't much in the way of a radiator removal write-up...all i found was basically "drain it, take off the houses, undo the two clamps on top, unplug the fan, and pull it right out!" Nope...the IC flex tube right above the fan controller has to come out as well. I took out my filter box to move the IC pipe it attaches to over a bit as well. THEN it will slide right out.

Other than that, everything went smoothly. I get a tune by Shiv in less than 2 weeks!
Old May 1, 2006, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I finished up my 10.5 hotside & ebay o2 housing yesterday. Here is my advice based upon my epxeriences:

That damned O2 sensor. Do this FIRST. Be careful, and make sure your O2 socket is on the sensor straight! Once its out, dont touch the sensor itself, or get anti-siezr, or anything else for that matter, onto it. Take your time....

Take out the radiator...just do it. You gain so much more room. On that note, there isn't much in the way of a radiator removal write-up...all i found was basically "drain it, take off the houses, undo the two clamps on top, unplug the fan, and pull it right out!" Nope...the IC flex tube right above the fan controller has to come out as well. I took out my filter box to move the IC pipe it attaches to over a bit as well. THEN it will slide right out.

Other than that, everything went smoothly. I get a tune by Shiv in less than 2 weeks!
Thanks for the tips. I had to postpone my 10.5 swap until next weekend because my coated O2 housing hasn't arrived yet . I'll be removing my radiator also to gain better access. I'm going to see Shiv also at Tuning Technologies and can't wait to see the results.

Last edited by EvoTio; May 1, 2006 at 09:30 AM.
Old May 1, 2006, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Well, here are my thoughts, i was able to get all this done in 4 hours tops from beginning till end.

I didnt remove the radiator at all, and was able to get everything out w/o any problems.

With the DP I just disconnected it and let it hang by the hangers.

Having a breaker bar hany is useful for getting all the bolts, nuts loose.

Having a helper is useful too especially when trying to get the manifold off from the hotside.

Torque everything down the spec, and remove/reinstall the manifold nuts in proper sequence.

I took out the 02 sensor once I got the stock hotside/02 housing out

All in all it was a fun and enjoyable install....
Old May 1, 2006, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

I have done this install a few times what a pain in the butt. whatch out for the screws that hold the shelds on. They are brittal and with the opening in the hood water gets in there and rusts them up a bit.
Old May 1, 2006, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
Well, here are my thoughts, i was able to get all this done in 4 hours tops from beginning till end.

I didnt remove the radiator at all, and was able to get everything out w/o any problems.

With the DP I just disconnected it and let it hang by the hangers.

Having a breaker bar hany is useful for getting all the bolts, nuts loose.

Having a helper is useful too especially when trying to get the manifold off from the hotside.

Torque everything down the spec, and remove/reinstall the manifold nuts in proper sequence.

I took out the 02 sensor once I got the stock hotside/02 housing out

All in all it was a fun and enjoyable install....
I tried that same route first...and there was just no way to get the O2 housing & hotside assembly off....the Lower heat shield ate up too much room....it always hit the radiator. The lower heat sheild wouldnt come out unless I took the O2 sensor out...then my damn O2 socket rounded the corners on my O2 housing! So I took out the radiator. Once did that, everything went great.
Old May 1, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

I tried that same route first...and there was just no way to get the O2 housing & hotside assembly off....the Lower heat shield ate up too much room....it always hit the radiator. The lower heat sheild wouldnt come out unless I took the O2 sensor out...then my damn O2 socket rounded the corners on my O2 housing! So I took out the radiator. Once did that, everything went great.

What I did first was loosen and removed all the lower heatshield nuts... and yes I couldnt get it out since the 02 sensor was blocking it so what I did was remove the 02 housing, hotside, lower heatshield and 02 sensor all in one shot. This is where having my brothers extra set of hands came in handy... he was able to pull the compressor to the side while allowing me enough room to get the hotside assembly out w/o damaging the turbo blades...

while I was in there I checked for shaft play and everything spun smooth and straight

Last edited by Blue Evo 8; May 1, 2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old May 1, 2006, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Got my hotside and some other toys and plan to tackle this soon. It looks like this one is a 50/50 as to whether it will go smooth or not. With my luck, it won't. But I'm gonna give it a shot anyway. Thanks again for this write-up. I am going to follow it when I tackle this in the next couple weeks.

Quick Reply: My 10.5 Hotside Install & How-To