Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

122performance.com Phenolic spacer tested.

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2005, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
122performance.com Phenolic spacer tested.

Well I picked up one of 122performance's phenolic spacers and decided to install it, along with blocking off both the coolant lines to the TB and the EGR valve. I went to the track and datalogged my runs and compared them with some other runs I had with the same weather conditions and cool down times.

First comparision is coming right off the street and making a pass with no cool down. Before the pass, temps were at 147F and they were down to 100F crossing the finish line.

Very similar conditions with the spacer, EGR delete, and TB coolant delete. Before the pass 107F; 89F after.

The next comparision is with the car being cooled for an hour. Before the pass, without the spacer, was 127F. At the finish line, they were down to 87F.

With the spacer the temps were 86F before and 77F after.

For the testing I was using my IAT sensor from my Power FC that's mounted in the intake manifold about 3-4 inches away from the throttle body.

BTW, I don't recommend blocking the throttle body coolant lines if you are still using the factory ecu, it might give you some annoying cold start idleing problems.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Any performance gains,seat of the pants.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

That sounds good, Mustangs have been using these for more than a decade and with great results. Very nice and cool.
Originally Posted by Fas4dr
Well I picked up one of 122performance's phenolic spacers and decided to install it, along with blocking off both the coolant lines to the TB and the EGR valve. I went to the track and datalogged my runs and compared them with some other runs I had with the same weather conditions and cool down times.

First comparision is coming right off the street and making a pass with no cool down. Before the pass, temps were at 147F and they were down to 100F crossing the finish line.

Very similar conditions with the spacer, EGR delete, and TB coolant delete. Before the pass 107F; 89F after.

The next comparision is with the car being cooled for an hour. Before the pass, without the spacer, was 127F. At the finish line, they were down to 87F.

With the spacer the temps were 86F before and 77F after.

For the testing I was using my IAT sensor from my Power FC that's mounted in the intake manifold about 3-4 inches away from the throttle body.

BTW, I don't recommend blocking the throttle body coolant lines if you are still using the factory ecu, it might give you some annoying cold start idleing problems.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:19 AM

Well from the two different nights the car was trapping a consistant 2mph higher with the spacer and the other mods.

Last edited by Fas4dr; May 12, 2005 at 09:23 AM.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

<----*ignorant* what the hell is a phenolic spacer?
Old May 12, 2005, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

On their site, I only see a spacer listed under DSM for $50. Is this the same as the one for the EVO? Id like to get one myself.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HiHeatEVO
<----*ignorant* what the hell is a phenolic spacer?
goes between head and intake manifold o keep heat from transferring. Keeps your intake mani cooler so the air stays cooler inside
Old May 12, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NOLIMITMOTORS
goes between head and intake manifold o keep heat from transferring. Keeps your intake mani cooler so the air stays cooler inside
thanks...that makes sense. that's a pretty decent drop in intake temps just putting that on. I think i may look into this further.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Since this thing is 1/2inch thick doesnt that misalign things like the IC piping going onto the throttle body or just other misc lines? My IC pipe fits up exact, I feel like another 1/2inch would put it just too far away.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Since this thing is 1/2inch thick doesnt that misalign things like the IC piping going onto the throttle body or just other misc lines? My IC pipe fits up exact, I feel like another 1/2inch would put it just too far away.
Yes it would misalign thing dramaticaly!.....we installed a Hondata one that was not even an 1/8 th of an inch and even at that thickness there were lots of issues
Old May 12, 2005, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dyno4mance
Yes it would misalign thing dramaticaly!.....we installed a Hondata one that was not even an 1/8 th of an inch and even at that thickness there were lots of issues
4DR can u comment on this?
Old May 12, 2005, 10:00 AM

The only problem was with the brackets on each side that goes from the head to the throttle body, I ended up chucking both of them. I am sure you can adapt them if you want but for me it wasn't worth the time. As for the intercooler piping I saw no difference in fitment.
Old May 12, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fas4dr
The only problem was with the brackets on each side that goes from the head to the throttle body, I ended up chucking both of them. I am sure you can adapt them if you want but for me it wasn't worth the time. As for the intercooler piping I saw no difference in fitment.
Interesting. Well I guess we can consider those brackets weight savings now! Overall how hard was the install? Im thinking of doing a 65mm TB so I was going to do both at the same time.
Old May 12, 2005, 10:59 AM

Not to hard at all, just alot of little stuff in the way to get the manifold off. The hardest part was removing the bracket underneath the manifold to get to the middle bolts under the runners and removing the left and right studs from the head.
Old May 12, 2005, 03:28 PM

The spacers are actually 3/8" thick. The pricing off the website is old, all that should be updated shortly. It is $64.95 shipped, and includes two gaskets and longer hardware, the old spacers didnt include the gaskets, and that pricing is about 3 years old. As far as it being 3/8" thicker, it really shouldnt throw you off much at all. That distance should easily be covered by the play in couplers/connections etc. I havent heard of anyone complain yet about it not fitting properly. As far as the brackets go, those same brackets have been getting tossed for years on DSM's with no ill effects. For more info there are some threads in "Vendor Classifieds" covering this topic.

Quick Reply: 122performance.com Phenolic spacer tested.