Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Couple of Install ?'s

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2005, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downpipe Installation ?

Well last nite I finally decided to install some of the stuff I have laying around. However I came across a few things so I thought you guys could help.

1. I installed the TurboXS Downpipe (quality piece by the way). Anyways its really the first downpipe I installed on any car. So I turned it on and at first I heard like a fluttering sound so I figured I had some kinda leak. Tightened the bolts more and sound is gone. But now the engine just sounds louder in general. Was wondering if this is normal with just a downpipe mod?

2. I wanted to install the Cusco Type 1 and Type 2. I installed the Type 2 however. I was afraid to install the type 1. Reason being I was I just pulled the car up onto a ramp. So I figured if I unbolted the bolt from the lower arm bar to install the type 1. It would be a big mistake. I guess my question is for the install of the Type 1 do I HAVE to jack the car?

Thanks everybody for your help.

Last edited by fatalbert69; May 29, 2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old May 29, 2005, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

1) If the downpipe is a cat delete it will make the car louder.

2)??
Old May 29, 2005, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

I have TurboXS TBE with cat del and not sure what you mean by louder but it will make the exaust louder. It makes it a lot louder at high rpms.
Old May 29, 2005, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the response.
1. No the downpipe is not a cat delete. It just goes straight to the cat.

2. Im sorry. Rereading my question it really didnt make much sense. What I mean is I want to install the Cusco Type 1 Lower arm bar. And it attached to the lower control arm pivot bolts. So in other to access them safely do I need to jack the car up instead of just driving the car up a ramp? Cause I dont know if I take the bolt out will the control arm crack under the pressure. Thanks.
Old May 29, 2005, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

well make sure that your donut gasket is not crooked in your down pipe because then your pipe will not bolt on straight and leak. You are going froma 21" to a 3" pipe so it could make it louder but i did the entire turboback turbo xs exhaust so i'm not 100% sure.
Your second question, i have both of the lower arms but i just jack up the front of the car. you may not have to but what 5 more minutes!!
Old May 29, 2005, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Yea sorry. I meant louder as in. When the car is just idle and sitting there. It sounds like the engine is working harder. Im not even driving yet. When I step on the gas a little it sounds ok. thanks.
Old May 29, 2005, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

well you did lose some heat shielding and that could make it somewhat louder.
Old May 29, 2005, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

I see. Im pretty sure I installed the donut gasket on straight. Ill double check tonite. But just out of curiosity? What happens if there is a leak?
Old May 29, 2005, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Well checked my gasket. Everything seems to be on tight. Im guessing its just a normal loudness. Cause the sound is steady with the engine. Just louder like more air is passing through.
Old May 29, 2005, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

I think it's all in your head man...you're just more aware of the sound because you are actively listening for it...it's psychological...
oh and by the way..
HEY, HEY, HEY.....!
hahahahahahahahahaha
Old May 29, 2005, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

your downpipe may be rubbing and vibrating against your subframe or another part of your undercarriage....mine does it sometimes and it just sounds like the egine got louder all of a sudden because of the exhaust vibrations. check it out
Old May 29, 2005, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

hahaha. Thanks for opinions.
oh and Devolution. Would you believe your the first one to make that joke to me. Even though I have been waiting for it. haha.
Old May 29, 2005, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fatalbert69
hahaha. Thanks for opinions.
oh and Devolution. Would you believe your the first one to make that joke to me. Even though I have been waiting for it. haha.
....in the words of bill cosby "jello pudddingggg pops!"
hahahahah
Old May 29, 2005, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Ok guys. I went home and tried to install my type 1. Damn those bolts are tight. Gonna use my friends air ratchet tomorrow. But guys really need your help. I drove my car.
And now I have an exact description of sound.

After the install of the downpipe. My car sounds like a freakin lawnmower. Or better yet you know the old VW beetles that you hear whirring along with the fluttering sound cause their exhaust is messed up. Yeah thats what my car sounds like at idle. However, the car drives fine. I really dont know if this noise is normal but I do know its annoying. Help plz. Thanks.
Old May 29, 2005, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

bump anybody got an answer?