Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

WTF- Stange siren noise.....HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2005, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DEVO8250
BTW- Zarathustra- I too had an S4 and it is the same exact noise - I had the same issue in my S4- but being the EVO is a single snail- with more boost, it's a lot louder.
Sorry to be off-topic...but LOUDER than the whine from dual K03s?! You could hear my S4 from over a block away! Given I was running triple stock boost heh...damn GAIC chip Bastards held 100% boost all the way till they blew too.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 01:46 PM

Wink KO3's

yeah- the S4 was fun, and I like wise was running the GIAC "X" chip. great car.

well, the dealer has no idea- entirely useless- and would like me to take it in....

I think since I'm running 20 lb's and it holds boost no problem - I may just sit tight. it still pulls like an SOB-

How can I check myself if I have a vaccum leak or something? I would love to handle this myself.

well, I just rec'd my Buscher delete pipe, so I'll have it up in the air. Maybe that will tell me more.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with a vaccum leak, you wouldnt hold 20psi (my2c)
Old Jun 10, 2005, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

If it were just a small tear in the ic piping boot it would make that noise. I could probably hold boost also. Just jack up the car and look to see what scraped before making any more assumptions.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:19 AM

oh I am properly chastised; it seems all you pundits (look it up slick in a dictionary) seem to think the transfer case is the cause of all noises (it's not) and since you know it's the transfer case I suspect you have broken yours either with bad driving or poor maintenence. Since his problem is a whine maybe he should take it to a good wrench and have a mark 1 eyeball inspection and stop listening to the EvoM "experts"
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

i would have to agree with showard. why would it be the TC? think about it. in order to disturb something inside the TC from a hit, it would have to be one HELL of an impact. the guy says he was doing about 5mph only. i hit a 6" tall curb with left front wheel and rode up on the curb and grass with both front wheels going about 15mph after skidding out in the rain. lower IC pipe and IC itself were bent from impact with the curb. no mechanical parts were damaged. besides bend tie rod and lower arm. also, he says it happens on acceleration in BOOST. if it were TC, it would make the noise the WHOLE time. just my opinion. good luck dude! let's not get into fights over this though!
edit: dont' forget that there's center beam that protects the engine and stuff.

Last edited by JoizeeX; Jun 10, 2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

I agree lets not argue, but wheres the answer to what the problem was? But when you are accelerating you are also under boost. I am awaiting PUNTIFIED for the answer!
Old Jun 11, 2005, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

do we have a pothole verdict yet??
Old Jun 11, 2005, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

i think you just bent something and you need to look at it, it has bars blocking the transfer case and k03's loud? I dont even think the k03 is worthy of being called a turbo. I used to have a jetta and that was the biggest piece of crap turbo I had ever messed with. Builds boost and has major torque, but no HP.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

I made a claim against my TC when I blew it out towing the vehicle. Insurance covered it thank god.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 01:24 PM

Wink Diagnosis

I have no clue.

I had it up in the air, apart like an SOB- and nothing. Threw in on the dyno again to see if there was any loss of power. none.

286 HP and 302 TQ

It still whines ONLY when excellerating- and yes, it sounds like ONLY when it is boosting.

I don't know...and don't care...that is until I see black smoke coming out of the rear end cuz the turbo went and is cooking oil.

Then- here I come Burshur kits!
Old Jun 25, 2005, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

sorry to say I do think it is the joint between the turbo and the lower intercooler pipe
do you have Buschur racings deluxe intercooler installed?

I have repaired several "hi shrill" noise making cars...power remains the same, boost pressure is close but that joint leaks so slightly and makes a high pitch shrill

The smoke you see is probably overfueling because of this condition
Hope this helps
Old Jun 25, 2005, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

No No Andrew, you are supposed to side with ME and go the TC route, I think I bet a doughnut and a beer on this one......................just edit your answer!
Old Jun 25, 2005, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
No No Andrew, you are supposed to side with ME and go the TC route, I think I bet a doughnut and a beer on this one......................just edit your answer!
sorry Kevin.....I would love to side with you as you are a good customer....and i do think I could be wrong, as I have been before, but on this occasion I really think it would be less costly for the owner to check that joint and replace the metal gasket (the correct way up) before looking further at the diff.....
Just my opinion