Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lost HP/boost after Injen intake/UICP install

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2005, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lost HP/boost after Injen intake/UICP install

I installed the Injen Intake and upper ICP yesterday and immediately noticed a loss in boost and HP. I turned up my Hallman MBC to compensate but I still feel a loss of high end power and throttle response.

I've done a search on this and it sounds quite common, but I was wonderinng if anyone had recent experience with the Injen kit and results after a re-tune.

I have a UTEC, TBE, and 272/272 cams and was making 303 WHP on 91 so I installed the Injen kit (and will be installing a test-pipe if I can get those bolts loose) to reach the more typical level of 315-325 WHP on 91.

I checked for boost leaks....

TIA
Old Jul 3, 2005, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just needs to be retuned. No big deal.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Two of my friends have the same intake and they said they lost a little low end, but it made up for it in the top end. They just got custom tunes too and they seem to be happy. I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but check again to make sure you installed everything correctly. MAF facing the right direction, BOV set in the right direction, leaks, etc. For those damn cat bolts... Spray the living $hit out of them with PB Blaster and let them sit overnight. Mine were practically welded on there. I had my torque wrench set to maximum at 80 ft-lbs and it was still clicking. The way I did it was I grabbed the wrench with both hands and extended them above my head. I then used my legs on the nearby wall and pushed as hard as I could and they finally came off. You'll ge them.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

And I also did lose about a lb of boost after my intake install. I just cranked up the hallman a notch and I was good to go.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 04:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thegame
I had my torque wrench set to maximum at 80 ft-lbs and it was still clicking. The way I did it was I grabbed the wrench with both hands and extended them above my head. I then used my legs on the nearby wall and pushed as hard as I could and they finally came off. You'll ge them.
this is an indication that you should not be using a torque wrench to loosen bolts, but rather go out and buy a 3 ft 1/2" drive breaker bar and do it the right way
Old Jul 3, 2005, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll be getting a retune this week after putting on the test-pipe. At least my mechanic was able to do the 02 sim kit so that's out of the way.

I was naively hoping for same HP or small increase that I could live with for awhile before full-retune.

Retuning for me means $ for at least 3 new UTEC maps (91, 95, 100)... If I can make ~315-320 on 91 I'll be happy and sit tight for awhile until the price drops some on the White Rabbit or similar bolt-on turbo.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

You will be fine with a retune. It also takes some time for the ECU to adjust for the Injen kit. I would give it a couple of days. Same with the cams, when I had the cams installed, it was slower then before but driving it around for 2 days and all the power came back plus more.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by en1gma19
Just needs to be retuned. No big deal.
+1
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

i havent lost any boost just alittle lowend but got quite a bit of top end i love the sound and all the top end power
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

were do u get it retuned
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by superflyevo
were do u get it retuned
The same place you get it tuned the first time usually...
Old Jul 5, 2005, 02:05 AM
Evolving Member

call or get in touch with Al
Old Jul 5, 2005, 02:29 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
pulling timing.

get your afr adjusted and timing too. probably running lean or have lean spots.

i almost wish we had a smart ECU that could compensate for all the mods.

perfect AFR, timing all the time without engine management.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lets see, something that could learn best timing and airfuel ratio based on knock readings and properly compensate for changes in weather. Then once it finds good settings it can pick the optimal maps based on whatever makes the accelerate faster with no knock... a smart ECU!

Actually I don't see why such a system couldn't be created but it would require a little more processing power than the ECU's we currently have in our cars. There really is no reason why you couldn't have an auto compensating ECU in our cars, you could just have a min and max range for it to work with and default safety maps in case it crashed somehow. I'm not sure how much such a setup would cost but I bet it wouldn't be under $500 that a flash or Super AFC with logger combination goes for.