Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evodave's gt35r spoolup.... want big power with fast spoolup...come on in!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2005, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evodave
511 awhp on the awd dynojet at switzers... stock ignition system (1 step colder plugs only).
Way to go! You just shot to hell Switzer's justification/ sales pitch for spending ~$1000 on their Coil on Plug system. "when boost is raised above stock levels, the stock ignition has proven to be inadequate."
Old Oct 28, 2005, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
awsome numbers dave, I cant wait to get my 35r...
Old Oct 28, 2005, 05:20 PM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
Originally Posted by AWDrift07

Way to go! You just shot to hell Switzer's justification/ sales pitch for spending ~$1000 on their Coil on Plug system. "when boost is raised above stock levels, the stock ignition has proven to be inadequate."

shoot.....i made 558 awhp on the stock setup... but even at the 500awhp setup it would break up sometimes so it was inadequate. Funny though cause actually the ignition system i am going with is the switzer unit...best on the market for sure!
Old Oct 28, 2005, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

shoot.....i made 558 awhp on the stock setup... but even at the 500awhp setup it would break up sometimes so it was inadequate. Funny though cause actually the ignition system i am going with is the switzer unit...best on the market for sure!
Just wondering... how is it better than the Buschur, the only other one i've heard of, that costs $70 less? What is it that makes one better than the other? Is the AEM CDI better than the MSD? Or is it the coil on plug system that's better. Sorry for the highjack but i'm just curious.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 05:57 PM
Account Disabled

The switzer setup is getting a completely new control box designed by Tym....CDI boxes as of late have problems.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buschur Racings system was Tym Switzers. I think they Tim made a new one and Buschur made a cheaper one but the one most people think of are both the same and they are both from Tym Switzer.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok.... well guys before i put the car away we ran a few 3rd gears pull and datalogged it with the AEM system . I wanted to post this since i have saw other threads addressing spoolup on gt35rs and people talking as a GT35r will roughly be the same in every situation. Well i am here to say that everything isn't created equal on turbo setups. I will have the logs up soon...btw this is with only roughly 9 degrees advanced timing at max (tuned by Tym switzer ) and 27-28 lbs of boost max and high 10s a/fs. Made 511 awhp on the awd dynojet at switzers (ran 11.1 at 129mph with 495 awhp and have made a max of 558 awhp on a banzai run but didn't run it on the road like that in fear of toasting my motor.
There are no secrets with this either.... no aids of any sort running pump gas and meth injection only. Stock motor besides cams and headbolts , stock intake manifold , stock throttle body, stock ignition system (1 step colder plugs only). If you are looking for the most complete package as far as turbo kits go with all the tricks in the book and such this Slickmotorsports turbo kit is THE way to go. Along with the great tuning from Switzer performance the results speak for themselves. Keep in mind this is 3rd gear (not 4th to load the motor more and make for slightly quicker spoolup yet).

3800 rpms 9lbs of boost
4000 rpms 14lbs of boost
4300 rpms 18lbs of boost
4400 rpms 21lbs of boost
4500 rpms 23lbs of boost
4600 rpms 24.6 lbs of boost
4700 rpms 25lbs of boost

Keep in mind that anything over 15 lbs of boost FLYS with this setup on my car.... i made over 330 awhp untuned at 12lbs of boost a long time ago
I am assuming those numbers are from when your car was on the dyno? They seem slightly too optomistic for the street but on a dyno they seem pretty good. I tried to make an answer all thread for the GT35r spoolup. I never got too far but me and Nate (DSMotorsports) wanted to get a bunch of logs from a bunch of different cars with different turbos and make one big @ss spread sheet showing all the cars and turbos and such. We were also trying to get real sheets from the street that we knew to be real. Like mine vs. someone elses with completely different parts but the same turbo (Again from different 'vendors') somehow came up to be DAMN near exact on spoolup even though they were tuned by completely different people, etc, etc... Anyways, you are the guy Im trying to beat on the quarter now a days You do damn well especially for the pump gas thing.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 07:51 PM
Account Disabled

nope those are on the road...not the dyno. we have a bunch of logs...some are nicer looking then others. to me these seem way better then what others are showing....but they are real deal...just a manual hallman boost controller....its not like i am running a electronic and tricking the wastegate to make it spool quicker.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

nope...its getting built motor (still 2.0L) a slightly different exhaust manifold design , modded stock intake manifold, bigger throttle body and a twin fuel pump setup with 1000cc injectors along with a upgraded ignition system. I drive the car all the time with that much HP ..NEVER detune it or run anything other then meth injection and pump gas. Car is rock solid and FAST. Only thing i had issues with was my meth control box once and two stock front diffs...i got a ralliart unit in it now. BTW i rev the stocker to 8500 rpms all day...hehe. I know i am nuts...oh well.
Mean setup. You keeping the stock head and GSC cams? The 558whp pull, how "on the edge" was that? Now you're riding around with a 510whp tune, is that safer on the stock block? It's really the torque that breaks stuff, not so much the hp, isn't it?
Old Oct 28, 2005, 08:15 PM
Account Disabled

building the head completely... keeping the GSC cams. It was only on the edge cause i figured the load would blow the motor up....just simply too much power. I will rev the new motor to 9500 daily and be close to 575 awhp on pump gas with meth daily (prolly trap 134mph ish daily use) then c16 and up the boost to around 38psi which will hopefully put me around 650awhp and trap 138-140mph (my ideas and goals)
Old Oct 28, 2005, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
.... but me and Nate (DSMotorsports) wanted to get a bunch of logs from a bunch of different cars with different turbos and make one big @ss spread sheet showing all the cars and turbos and such. We were also trying to get real sheets from the street that we knew to be real. ....
That sounds like a brilliant idea. That would be a nice comparison.

Evodave, what's the basis for changing the exhaust manifold design?
Old Oct 28, 2005, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah and the aluminum base is actually designed to be raised(switzer's) not flush(buscher) to be a functional heat soak. The flush one does not do as good of as a job keeping heat away from the spark plugs.
The switzer setup is getting a completely new control box designed by Tym....CDI boxes as of late have problems.

Last edited by evoviiiyou; Oct 28, 2005 at 08:33 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds great Dave, remind me to send you via email my new head build sheet from Tym.
building the head completely... keeping the GSC cams. It was only on the edge cause i figured the load would blow the motor up....just simply too much power. I will rev the new motor to 9500 daily and be close to 575 awhp on pump gas with meth daily (prolly trap 134mph ish daily use) then c16 and up the boost to around 38psi which will hopefully put me around 650awhp and trap 138-140mph (my ideas and goals)
Old Oct 28, 2005, 08:46 PM
Account Disabled

pm'd
Old Oct 28, 2005, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoviiiyou
Yeah and the aluminum base is actually designed to be raised(switzer's) not flush(buscher) to be a functional heat soak. The flush one does not do as good of as a job keeping heat away from the spark plugs.
That was the first thing i noticed about the Buschur system. The aluminum plate sitting on the valve cover and covered by a plug wire cover holds in all the heat! Plus showing off the coil on plug system looks better than any plug wire cover! What sort of problems are there with Tym's CDI controller?

Quick Reply: Evodave's gt35r spoolup.... want big power with fast spoolup...come on in!