Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shorty engine dampener review - 2003 EVO

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2005, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Shorty engine dampener review - 2003 EVO

Item purchased from:
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...roducts_id=261

I have to admit I've always been a little disappointed with the way my 03 EVO shifted. It always tended to be jerky and if making a hard left turn at WOT in 1st gear I couldn't shift or I would get the notorious 1-2 grind. I also had enough engine rotation that I could here my downpipe hit my oil pan and sometimes even tap the driveshaft! Last week I took the plunge and purchased one of those engine dampeners. I didn't believe these dampeners really worked. I seriously would have prefered to get poly insterts but they just aren't available so I figured I would try the dampener and if I didn't like it I would sell it for $20 less than I paid for it. Well.....I'm not gonna be selling it anytime soon!!!

Today was the first heavy pounding I gave the car since the install of the engine dampener. So far I love this thing! I could feel the difference right from the get go. Right from letting out the clutch in reverse I could tell the car was much more solid. I normally would hear a clang or some metal on metal noise but that racket is no longer there. So even during the gradual warm up I could tell things were better.

I thought most of the listed benefits were going to be marketing crap....example....throttle response...well it wasn't crap....response time is much more crisp. That and off throttle or downshifting was perhaps the biggest change. Previously I would get a jerking feeling when letting off and now its smooth as silk. There is a tad more vibration when letting out the clutch in 1st or reverse but at idle and low rpm cruise it feels like it did before.

I ran the car VERY hard for about an hour....nearly an entire tank of fuel.....lots of hard launches, high rpm parking lot drifting, and redline 1st->2nd gear shifts (while turning). This thing made a night and day difference on my car. Worth every fricken penny. This is nearly my favorite mod thus far.

The shifts are noticably tighter and responsive and the car doesn't jerk me around nearly as much as it did before. I never had a wheel hop problem and after many hard launches today I didn't sense it was going to be a problem in the future either. I have had many cars that I used urathane inserts or DIY window weld filled mounts and they've always had an annoying at idle vibration. This puppy provides all the benefits of motor mounts without the negative side effects.

Considering this was a sub $200 mod and it only took 25 minutes to install....I am very pleased with the results. I hope it lasts a good long time.

One last thing... The support from CorsportUSA was the very best I could ask for. They provided me with a tracking number within 24 hours and even let me know the package was delivered by fedex prior to me knowing. I actually got an email for Corsport telling me it was delivered and went outside to check....there it was! Great customer support.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVIL_EV0
Item purchased from:

One last thing... The support from CorsportUSA was the very best I could ask for. They provided me with a tracking number within 24 hours and even let me know the package was delivered by fedex prior to me knowing. I actually got an email for Corsport telling me it was delivered and went outside to check....there it was! Great customer support.
Thank you VERY much for the kind words and the business, we appreciate it greatly.

Tai
Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:33 AM

Definately a great product especially for the price. I swear by mine....I like the fact that it is adjustable in relation to the damping force... good informative post...
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:41 AM
Account Disabled

Thumbs up

Nice write up, I will be ordering one in near future
Old Nov 28, 2005, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Any discounts for evolution members?
Old Nov 28, 2005, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Are most folks using the factory settings?
Old Nov 28, 2005, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EV0
One last thing... The support from CorsportUSA was the very best I could ask for. They provided me with a tracking number within 24 hours [snip] Great customer support.
Quoted for emphasis.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by 05SilverEvoVIII
Any discounts for evolution members?

The deepest discount I can give is already in the 167.50 shipped price. Great part for a great price with free shipping!!!

Also, for what its worth, Ingalls has required minimum pricing for this part which has the effect of keeping the pricing right where it is. I can't budge.

Tai
Old Nov 28, 2005, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by FlyNavy
Are most folks using the factory settings?

I prefer it on the stiffest setting. Your mileage may vary.

Tai
Old Nov 28, 2005, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I was gonan write a review, but I thought most people would just brush it off as somethign you "feel"
I Like mine nonetheless
Old Nov 29, 2005, 07:26 AM

1 left on the shelf for delivery today. First call or first click gets it. I will have 10 more tomorrow.

Tai
Old Nov 29, 2005, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by CorSport
1 left on the shelf for delivery today. First call or first click gets it. I will have 10 more tomorrow.

Tai

^Sold.

Anything else ordered today will ship tomorrow.

Thanks everyone,
Tai
Old Nov 29, 2005, 09:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Sounds like a good mod. Any idea on the life expectancy of the dampner? Can you replace the dampner without buying a whole new kit?
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Sounds like a good mod. Any idea on the life expectancy of the dampner? Can you replace the dampner without buying a whole new kit?
Ingalls sells just the shock. It is considered the "universal" kit. (w/o brackets) In relation to life expectancy I have had one on my other civic for over a year and have no compliants. I pound on it too so if it was going to go it surely would have by now.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 09:53 AM

Still have plenty in stock...

order now:

Tai

Quick Reply: Shorty engine dampener review - 2003 EVO