Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

water pump went out AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2006, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water pump went out AGAIN

so i was driving around the other day, and i noticed it was overheating, so i pulled over and found out there was no coolant in it at all, and wondered wtf was going on, i had just gotten back from my vacation and it was sitting for 3 weeks i have no idea how the hell it could have drained, but the first time it went out was when i took it in to get the recall done, becuase it started to leak coolant from the oil cooler line, but it ended up being the water pump, and it was only about 2 months ago, so i took it in today and they told me that it was the water pump again, and my car only has 12k miles on it....anybody know wtf is going on...thanks
Old Jan 12, 2006, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

defect!
Old Jan 12, 2006, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SeanJhn9
so i was driving around the other day, and i noticed it was overheating, so i pulled over and found out there was no coolant in it at all, and wondered wtf was going on, i had just gotten back from my vacation and it was sitting for 3 weeks i have no idea how the hell it could have drained, but the first time it went out was when i took it in to get the recall done, becuase it started to leak coolant from the oil cooler line, but it ended up being the water pump, and it was only about 2 months ago, so i took it in today and they told me that it was the water pump again, and my car only has 12k miles on it....anybody know wtf is going on...thanks
This has happened to me 2 times already! Theres a tsb out for this issue on 2005's . The 2nd time it caused a blown head gasket, lucky enough everything else was fine. Take it to the dealer

Here:

Make : MITSUBISHI
Model : LANCER EVOLUTION
Year : 2005
Manufacturer : MITSUBISHI MOTORS NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Service Bulletin Num : 115
Date of Bulletin: APR 01, 2005
NHTSA Item Number: 10015713
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:COOLING SYSTEM
Summary: PREMATURE WATER PUMP FAILURE. MITSUBISHI TECH TALK. TO ALSO INCLUDE 2004 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION. *TT

PS: Have them do a compression/leakdown test!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 12, 2006, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Is this affecting a certain range of VIN numbers?
Old Jan 12, 2006, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
This has happened to me 2 times already! Theres a tsb out for this issue on 2005's . The 2nd time it caused a blown head gasket, lucky enough everything else was fine. Take it to the dealer

Here:

Make : MITSUBISHI
Model : LANCER EVOLUTION
Year : 2005
Manufacturer : MITSUBISHI MOTORS NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Service Bulletin Num : 115
Date of Bulletin: APR 01, 2005
NHTSA Item Number: 10015713
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:COOLING SYSTEM
Summary: PREMATURE WATER PUMP FAILURE. MITSUBISHI TECH TALK. TO ALSO INCLUDE 2004 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION. *TT

PS: Have them do a compression/leakdown test!!!!!!!!!!

thanks, i checked to make sure they're was no coolant in the oil, but i didnt know exactly what to look for lol, its at the dealer right now, and i'll call them tomorow and ask them to do a compression/leakdown test
Old Jan 12, 2006, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

i'm on my second pump as well. either the freeze plug or the water seal blow out from cylinder pressure getting by the headgasket while under boost. the best thing would be to resurface that head and throw some arp's in there since it overheated.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Is there a "tell" that the water pump is going out that I could notice before some catastrophic failure? Would I be able to hear it under acceleration?
Old Jan 17, 2006, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

this really concerns me. i take my evo on extended road trips frequently. i'd hate for this to happen to me out in the middle of nowhere.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by coffeeslug
Is there a "tell" that the water pump is going out that I could notice before some catastrophic failure? Would I be able to hear it under acceleration?

i didnt hear anything, it just started leakin coolant from the passenger side up front, took it to the dealership and it was the water pump
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nickracer9
i'm on my second pump as well. either the freeze plug or the water seal blow out from cylinder pressure getting by the headgasket while under boost. the best thing would be to resurface that head and throw some arp's in there since it overheated.
No that is not why. If you blew your headgasket you would first notice that you were pushing coolant into your overflow. Your radiator cap will push open before the plug came out *if* the plug was a proper fit.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SeanJhn9
thanks, i checked to make sure they're was no coolant in the oil, but i didnt know exactly what to look for lol, its at the dealer right now, and i'll call them tomorow and ask them to do a compression/leakdown test
I did check that also when mine happened but didnt see any coolant in the oil either. Have them do the leakdown
Old Jan 18, 2006, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its the waterpump freeze plug that blew out. Happened to me on my 05 with just over 800 miles on the car. Thats what the TSB is for.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Im guessing this is only a concern with the 05+ correct. I havent heard of this issue on 03 or 04's.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4rcd6
Im guessing this is only a concern with the 05+ correct. I havent heard of this issue on 03 or 04's.
That is correct!

This has happened to me 2 times already
Old Jan 18, 2006, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

what a crock! Man thats a gay thing to have happen.... thats a serious issue that can put your motor up in lock if your paying attention to the temp gauge for a short period especially in warmer climate areas.

Quick Reply: water pump went out AGAIN