Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

water pump went out AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blown water pump

I had this problem about 2 months ago and now it has happenned again. The car pops, backfires or something under hard acceleration. It sounds like a gun going off, gives a shudder and coolant blows out of the engine. I have not messed with the boost controller or anything else other than a turbo back exhaust. The first time it happened I thought it was a coincidence that the engine missfired at the same instant the water pump let loose. Now that it has happened the exact same way I am convinced they are related. I think the water pump is the results, NOT the problem. Is there any way a momentary backfire would pressurize the cooling system and blow out the water pump? The water pump is unusual to me in that it is sealed to the block by slipping the water pump neck into the block and expecting an O-ring to seal the system. After fixing the pump, the engine seems to work fine.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:33 AM
Account Disabled

i've changed the waterpump twice on our 05 evo also.

we thought we were lifting the head under high boost(24+psi on a ~80lb/min compressor) with the factory headbolts and were right. when i removed them they felt like they had no tq what so ever. i threw in the ARP studs and tq'd them 40-70-100 , heat cycled the engine and retq'd 40-70-100.
with the factory bolts, we were seeing as high as 100c coolant temps on the hydra datalogs. with the ARP studs we've bearly seen 90c as a high and ~81-83 as normal. the factory gauge made no change between 90c and 100c...
now that we can hold the boost, she just trapped 130 last nite

weve had the new waterpump in for ~2 weeks, 30psi and no problems.

on the flip side, with changing this pump twice, i've gotten pretty quick with it and its made me realize that we might need to pickup a spare waterpump for backup at the track
Old Mar 26, 2006, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

I am the latest victim of the plug blowing out...happened today. Had the car flat bedded to the dealer...::sigh::

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
This has happened to me 2 times already! Theres a tsb out for this issue on 2005's . The 2nd time it caused a blown head gasket, lucky enough everything else was fine. Take it to the dealer

Here:

Make : MITSUBISHI
Model : LANCER EVOLUTION
Year : 2005
Manufacturer : MITSUBISHI MOTORS NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Service Bulletin Num : 115
Date of Bulletin: APR 01, 2005
NHTSA Item Number: 10015713
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:COOLING SYSTEM
Summary: PREMATURE WATER PUMP FAILURE. MITSUBISHI TECH TALK. TO ALSO INCLUDE 2004 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION. *TT

PS: Have them do a compression/leakdown test!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 31, 2006, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

add me to the list my headplug just blew....its an 04....although i have raised my boost up to about 22-23 psi
Old Feb 23, 2007, 08:56 PM

Wow..05 Evo 18K miles....water pump seal blew out...dealer fix it...after dealer fix it car started to shake and over heated took it back there was air in the system...they said everything is ok now....well see...i hope they're rgiht...
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:43 PM
Account Disabled

my last evo was an 05 and the water pump blew twice as well. the first time it was warrantied, the 2md time they wouldnt cover it. first was at about 8k. 2nd at 15k
Old Feb 26, 2007, 09:12 AM

they didnt warranty it for you the second time???? it shouldnt matter how many time....their product failed to do the job...anyone know how to check a warp head or blown head gasket??? my car over heated after the dealer installed the new water pump..... i drove it back two blocks from the dealer...they said they found a air pocket in the system.....i mean the needle was in the red....my car started to shake at idle and that is when i notice the temperature gauge....there were coolant over flowing in the resevior and the hoses were rock hard.... now im worried they said everything is ok for now...after they fix the air pocket??? what should i do?
Old Feb 26, 2007, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, that's scary. A mechanic that doesn't know how to properly fill a coolant system.
You check it with a straight edge.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Endoe
they didnt warranty it for you the second time???? it shouldnt matter how many time....their product failed to do the job...anyone know how to check a warp head or blown head gasket??? my car over heated after the dealer installed the new water pump..... i drove it back two blocks from the dealer...they said they found a air pocket in the system.....i mean the needle was in the red....my car started to shake at idle and that is when i notice the temperature gauge....there were coolant over flowing in the resevior and the hoses were rock hard.... now im worried they said everything is ok for now...after they fix the air pocket??? what should i do?
If theres coolant overflowing to the overflow tank sounds like you have a bad head gasket.. Did you have oil mixed with the coolant?? My water pump on my 05 blew 3 times... After the 2nd time they found i had a bad head gasket and the studs werent torqued to specs causing the head to lift= blowing freeze plug.. Best way to find out if you have a bad gasket is by doing a compression test on all 4 cly..
Old Jun 9, 2010, 08:42 PM

Anyone else have this issue?

Gosh, I blew my first freeze plug about a year ago. Had the dealer fix it but now I'm over 70k. I know that they had a 60k/5year warranty, I heard there's a 100k warranty?? Do you guys know anything about this? Need help, sucks dragon ballz.

I'm running stock boost and basic bolt ons. The car was purchased used by someone who more than likely beat on it. Errrr.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Back from the dead...so I noticed some coolant loss and as it turns out its coming from my waterpump.

To give a little background history, Ive got an 05 and about 3 years ago I blew out the plug on my waterpump and coolant was also leaking out of the weep hole. The car only had 14k miles. Two weeks later my headgasket blew. So mitsu covered under the warranty the waterplug and then said see you later with the headgasket...

As of last week, the odometer turned 28,000 and wahoo 14000 miles later im having waterpump issues.

So now I see this thread and I am wondering what affect this will have on my car. I guess I first need to figure out the difference between between a TSB and a recall.