Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Pics of my cracked piston

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2006, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
Dont want to be mean here but if you had the car running into this lean condition previously why would you keep running it before fixing the problem? Also... if the car went extremely lean... why would you floor it??? Secondly without viewing a log you will never know which is even worse... say you rebuild the motor and swap fuel pumps and figure out it was some wiring mishaps, a bad injector, a crappy regulator, etc... Lastly, if the motor was running that pig rich for a while you very well could have done a ton of damage to the motor through cylinder wash (That wont crack a piston but still not a good thing).

It does sound like the fuel pump quit on ya but I would try to learn something from this whole deal. Mainly being if the car has a problem.. especially running lean dont floor it Also, make sure you find the problem and fix it... dont just assume you figured it out.
It did not have lean condition. That is the whole point. It happened at this one event which blew the motor. As far as running rich while tuning it...the afr's were only at 10.8-10.5 but in the 2500-4500 rpm range. I appreciate the help, but please do not think I am an idiot. I am an aircraft mechanic. I have been working on cars for over 10 years. This is not my first tuner car, my first turbo car, but not my first sports car that I have built and modded.

56hotrod....
Yes I have taken the hotside off and inspected the turbine wheel. It does not appear to be damaged.
Old May 10, 2006, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by althemean
but please do not think I am an idiot.
You installed an ems in a stock car, and sucessfully blew it up

Originally Posted by althemean
It did not have lean condition. That is the whole point. It happened at this one event which blew the motor. As far as running rich while tuning it...the afr's were only at 10.8-10.5 but in the 2500-4500 rpm range. I appreciate the help, but please do not think I am an idiot. I am an aircraft mechanic. I have been working on cars for over 10 years. This is not my first tuner car, my first turbo car, but not my first sports car that I have built and modded.

56hotrod....
Yes I have taken the hotside off and inspected the turbine wheel. It does not appear to be damaged.
Old May 10, 2006, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Althemean.. make sure you check your IDG. The 03 comes with CSD.
Old May 12, 2006, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kf6ytc
You installed an ems in a stock car, and sucessfully blew it up
dont even start with me again dude. You refuse to see the facts that the ems was not 100% responsible for the engine blowing up. Do I need to get the mods in here AGAIN over this issue? Why must you insist on provoking me? Do not respond to this thread or any thread that I start please. I am trying to keep this civil.

The fact remains that the car ran great without any detonation for at least one month prior to the incident. How can that be the ems? It was a fuel system problem created by the extra demand placed on the pump. It is my fault for not upgrading the fuel pump when I had one sitting here. I have never denied that. The main reason I did not install the pump right away was simply to get the tuning sorted before throwing parts at the car. Unfortunately the stock pump did not last the short time that I needed it too.

Once again. DO NOT RESPOND. I am requesting this thread to be locked

Last edited by althemean; May 12, 2006 at 06:08 AM.
Old May 12, 2006, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

thread closed...