Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Twin disk to triple disk clutch conversion.

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2006, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A twin carbon to triple carbon MAY be possible, I will research it for you. A Non-carbon cannot be converted into a carbon though, as discussed above.
Old May 9, 2006, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigyellowevo
What this swap be applicable to the carbon setup also? I have an Exedy twin carbon, would I be able to upgrade to the triple carbon if choose to?
Even though the part numbers for the twin and triple carbon clutches are both in the 05 exedy catalog, the repair parts are only listed for the twin. On other applications the clutches appear to be convertable, but without seeing the specific replacement part data for the Evo twin and triple it is impossible for me to know for sure. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful....
Old May 9, 2006, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Superhatch thanks for the reply. Hopefully this twin carbon will suffice, if not, I'll be upgrading or looking into a Tilton.
Old May 9, 2006, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Fourdoor, (Keith)

You haven't listed your mods of the aproximate power you are making. Anyway, the fact that the Cusco lasted you 3 years of abuse is a good sign that is a great quality clutch kit.

I did some extensive research and I called most of the clutch manufacturers, here is the problem, I read that some people on this forum overkilled their setup by putting "too much of a clutch" for such simple mods, in other words, a triple disc clutch is not the best way to go for a stock car, neither a single clutch disc is the best option for a 700whp Evo, do you follow me?

I also read that one Evo owner had a faulty installation on his triple Exedy disc clutch causing it to only engage one disc efectively ultimately wearing out his clutch prematurely.

I hope I gave you an idea of some discrepancies you might find. Whatever the case might be, good luck, the Cusco seen to be a great choice anyway.

Carlos
I wish I knew this when purchasing my clutch for future mods. My Exedy triple carbon is toast right now because I put it in too early.
Old May 9, 2006, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Evoonyoass, is Exedy doing anything to help you or are you going to just buy another clutch?
Old May 9, 2006, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

No word yet, the clutch was shipped to them for inspection. Just waiting to hear back with an excuse or reason they won't cover it.
Old May 9, 2006, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What this swap be applicable to the carbon setup also? I have an Exedy twin carbon, would I be able to upgrade to the triple carbon if choose to?

Beats me, since I don't have a carbon I didn't look into it. Call up Matt and ask him.

Keith
Old May 12, 2006, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

I recieved my triple plate setup from UPS yesterday. Well packaged and ready to go Looks like the prices listed above were with shipping and handling included since my total bill was $880.

Keith
Old May 12, 2006, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

So they assembled and upgraded you to triple for 880?
Old May 12, 2006, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

So they assembled and upgraded you to triple for 880?
The twin is still on my car, I have the three clutch disks and two idler plates to do the conversion next time I make it up to Buschur Racing.l

Keith
Old May 13, 2006, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
The twin is still on my car, I have the three clutch disks and two idler plates to do the conversion next time I make it up to Buschur Racing.l

Keith
Just remember to have the PP and FW surfaces machined. Then measure the amount of material removed and remove the same amount from the valley of the PP where the pillar ring bolts. I was told by exedy "DO NOT machine the tops of the pillars". Their explanation was that it is easier to maintain pillar height unity by machining the surface that the pillar ring mounts to rather than machining the pillars themselves. Buschur will need a rather small end mill to get in there to do that though....
Old May 20, 2006, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Here are some pictures of the new disks. Amazing how thin the friction material is.... but in reality it is three times as thick if you think about it from the right perspective isn't it?

Keith
Attached Thumbnails Twin disk to triple disk clutch conversion.-all-parts-2.jpg   Twin disk to triple disk clutch conversion.-unsprung-disk2.jpg   Twin disk to triple disk clutch conversion.-idler-disk-2.jpg   Twin disk to triple disk clutch conversion.-edge-view-disk-2.jpg  
Old May 22, 2006, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

As long as the disks wear evenly, then yeah, you've got the right idea...
Old May 22, 2006, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So with a Twin HD pressure plate, and a twin converted to a triple, what is the sustainable clamping force afterwards?
Old May 31, 2006, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to hijack but some of these posts seem very intelligent and looking for assistance to find the part I need to fix my clutch. Shep is sending back my tranny soon and I am missing what appears to be a very cheap part...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=203878

Quick Reply: Twin disk to triple disk clutch conversion.