Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

27psi + BR3065 + Stock MAF = pic inside

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2006, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smogrunner
We'll know by Friday morning if the stock maf screen - Epoxy'd in and far from the Bov dump, will hold whp in the high 500s and wtq in the 525 range. If all goes well, I'll FINALLY be drag racing my car on Saturday.

Good luck. I did a small epoxy job myself and it got ripped out last night. I couldnt boost past 20psi.

This is all after I re-did the honetcombs a few days ago (PG1 pics)
Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
It's bad news for you (sorry about the inconvenience), but it may be good news for the rest of us in that it demonstrates that the problem isn't necessarily related to air mass flow rates, which means that it may be rectified as we suggested above.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
It's bad news for you (sorry about the inconvenience), but it may be good news for the rest of us in that it demonstrates that the problem isn't necessarily related to air mass flow rates, which means that it may be rectified as we suggested above.

I guess it comes with owning a modified car. Something is always bound to go wrong or just not run right. I think it was poorly designed from Mitsu. Although I can see their design ideas and theorys with a venturi type intake. All that it straightening out the air flow is a piece of tin foil. There has to be a high pressure created in the MAS and a low before the screen, which might cause the air to turn or rotate at high speeds (kinda like your toilet flush)
Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm sure that having bent fins in the honecomb don't help things, anything that can alter that straight path of airflow could result in it crushing in on itself like that..

I wanted to point out that its still too big to get sucked into the turbo, but it really sucks, I doubt epoxy will totally solve the problem, but it would be nice if it did.

I have a friend who has a big concern with this happening on his car..

The honeycomb is necessary though, since it allows the airflow to be vectored into the right sections of the MAF (metered air gets metered air, etc..)
Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You know something, I wonder if its the design of some of the air filter adapters.. Has anyone had this happen with the stock intake box?

It occurred to be that the "Stepping" into the MAF from those flat surfaces may be creating turbulence around the outer perimeter of the honecomb pulling it away from the walls of the MAF ultimately compressing it..
Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would seem that there must be a significant difference in pressure on the backside of the honeycomb as compared to the front side. I agree with MalibuJack that the honeycomd probably "bows" in the middle which pulls it away from the side of the MAF. I find it hard to believe that just turbulence would cause this, I think more likely it is a larger restriction that it looks like. There must be a significant pressure difference between each side.
What material is this honeycomb made out of?
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOeight
What material is this honeycomb made out of?
I could test it when I get my new set-up. When I do test it, it will be destroyed since the way to test metals is with a spectrometer which melts the metal and take a sample of the vapor.

Jack- I was wondering the same thing. I was contemplating on putting on the stock air box and doing a test run to see if I can duplicate the incident. But my guess is once the screen is out of place and bent, it will happen again. I cant wait to see what Smogrunner pulls and if it works. Im in the process to do the epoxy job a little better this time and go for some pulls. Id really really like to go racing tonight.

Last edited by dryad001; Jul 12, 2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
You know something, I wonder if its the design of some of the air filter adapters.. Has anyone had this happen with the stock intake box?

It occurred to be that the "Stepping" into the MAF from those flat surfaces may be creating turbulence around the outer perimeter of the honecomb pulling it away from the walls of the MAF ultimately compressing it..
I think its the heat of the aluminum adapters. Aluminum collects heat like no other. The air entering the mass is heated more than usual causing the that thin aluminum to curl.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Smog's maf screen went fubar and I'm pretty sure he's on the stock airbox seeing as how he's using an Xede and all....

My screen is slightly boogered from a falling wrench while I was putting on my BR filter...I'm sure it will be a joy in the near future.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 02:58 PM
Former Sponsor

We never had any trouble with our red car's MAF, and we ran a factory airbox and MAF. MJ, i think your right. I have a hunch that cone filters create a disruption in the airflow, that upsets the honeycomb. We made 490WHP on our DD, and never had any problem. That MAF is still on the car today ~50k miles.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by A418t81
Smog's maf screen went fubar and I'm pretty sure he's on the stock airbox seeing as how he's using an Xede and all....

My screen is slightly boogered from a falling wrench while I was putting on my BR filter...I'm sure it will be a joy in the near future.
No Smoggy has cone filter last I checked!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 04:23 AM
Account Disabled

Good lord, that Dave Buschur does not fool around
Old Jul 13, 2006, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IE Evo
No Smoggy has cone filter last I checked!
Ah, gotcha. I thought when his honeycomb collapsed he was running the stock airbox though? Guess not.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 09:18 AM
Account Disabled

is it bad to run the car without that? cuz my car did that same thing... i didnt notice much differance without it?
Old Jul 13, 2006, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
After our brief PM exchange, I decided that I agreed with your assessment and asked Drifto to do exactly that in fabricating the intake setup for the GT35R. It can be seen in this photo:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...chmentid=90584

Hopefully, directly the BOV vent directly toward the compressor will prevent this situation from occurring. If not, it's on to 'Plan B'.
I even went a step further on my own car. Sorry Ted Hopefully it will never be a problem for either of us
Attached Thumbnails 27psi + BR3065 + Stock MAF = pic inside-dscf0001_edited-1.jpg