Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

So let's finally set it straight with aftermarket crank pulleys...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2006, 02:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GTREVO
The engine was pulled apart and I can say that my mixture was perfect since there was ZERO detonation and the pistons and combustion chamber was in perfect condition. I was running the 37R with this and there was no tune difference except that it was maybe .2 of an A/F leaner with the C16.

It's all in the crank damper. I have been using the aluminium underdrive pulleys for the last 10 years and I never had an engine failure with it but it now explains why I have less life span in my motors especially big power and boost is concerned.

It was Carmela from Jackson's that warned me against using a pulley. I took her word and there we go...the difference is obvious especially in a 2.3 stroker.
Funny you mention Carmela, I live close by Jackson Auto Machine in Maryland, they are also my machine shop. They have also repeatedly warned me of using the aluminum pulleys. I would take anything JAM says to heart, since they have probably torn down over 1000 4G63's over the last decade. Thank you for posting your findings, you probably helped save many Evo engines from an early grave =) The engineers from Mitsubishi are no dummies, and the harmonic balancer is definitely not some cosmetic over-engineered useless engine part.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, after building and playing around with DSM and Evo motor for years now, hate to say this but...I am still learning something new everyday...

Hope my findings will help lots more people out there by keeping their harmonic balancers instead of pulleys...