Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HorsepowerFreaks GT35R (535whp, 421wtq on stock 2.0L) w/videos and dyno

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason Siebels
No wonder I NEVER trust turbo manufacturers for any advice on turbochargers...Just because they work there doesn't mean they have the hands on experience...sorry I don't take things like that at face value. . It's kind of like saying that a guy that works for Mitsubishi is the best guy to have working on your car! They have ALL kinds of great "theories" but no ACTUAL working experience as it applies to being on the engine. Never mind the fact that the statements made were clearly theoretical...you CAN NOT make 1100hp through a 67mm restrictor.....SORRY!
NASCAR makes 700hp through a 390cfm restrictor. That shouldn't be possible, but it is. I've never seen that kind of power on a turbo that small either ,but I'm not about to call BS on a person who engineers them. I bet you think the world is flat too.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking at today's materials and turbo design, it seems like it would be difficult to obtain that much power through that type of restriction, however turbo efficiencies keep going up all the time (using lighter/stronger materials, more sophisticated compressor/turbine blades, etc.) so who knows. Maybe this type of power will be easy to obtain in a few years.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Aug 6, 2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drifto
NASCAR makes 700hp through a 390cfm restrictor. That shouldn't be possible, but it is. I've never seen that kind of power on a turbo that small either ,but I'm not about to call BS on a person who engineers them. I bet you think the world is flat too.
Who says they shouldn't be able to make 700hp through a 390cfm restrictor? 390cfm will deliver 802.28hp on a standard day, so depending upon the altitude correction for that particular moment... 700 is a no brainer!
Old Aug 6, 2006, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Looking at today's materials and turbo design, it seems like it would be difficult to obtain that much power through that type of restriction, however turbo efficiencies keep going up all the time (using lighter/stronger materials, more sophisticated compressor/turbine blades, etc.) so who knows. Maybe this type of power will be easy to obtain in a few years.
Absolutely, turbo's are getting better...let's take a quick look at what that means.

a 67mm turbo at the end of it's efficiency will move around 70lbs of air/minute...this is good for around 700hp (depending upon the efficiency of the setup..... at the END of it's efficiency. So if you had an INCREDIBLY efficient setup, I could see mid 700's (I have made 720 to the tires with that turbo with everything optimized, and ALL in....nothing left!) and a serious strech would be around 800.... a FAR cry from 1100. Not to mention the fact that to move an additional 30 to 40 lbs of air the other issues that you are going to run into...incredible compressor/turbine speeds, backpressure will continue to climb at an alarming rate (choking off flow through the engine...reducing power) . The only way you get more flow through a certain size opening is with pressure pushing it, or vacum drawing on it. Even IF the compressor was capable of drawing enough air through a 67mm opening to prodcue that kind of power, the turbo would probably have exploded long before it could move any where near that much air due to rotational speeds, and loads. Remember 67mm is just under 2.68inches....think about it....2.68 inches.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 04:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hmm maybe the 66mm turbo hes talking about is attached to an ECOtec
Old Aug 6, 2006, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who says they shouldn't be able to make 700hp through a 390cfm restrictor? 390cfm will deliver 802.28hp on a standard day, so depending upon the altitude correction for that particular moment... 700 is a no brainer!
I'm curious where you are getting that. Based on a very simple equation, 390/1.45= 268.9hp. By your estimate the 600cfm stock turbo should make 1241.4 hp. I guess we are all wasting our time putting bigger turbo on when the stock one is so capable
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

No wonder I NEVER trust turbo manufacturers for any advice on turbochargers...Just because they work there doesn't mean they have the hands on experience...
In the case of Jay, he does. He's just not one to talk about it on evom. If you took the time to ask him off-line or via PM, you may get the info you are looking for.

Shiv
Old Aug 7, 2006, 07:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Even IF the compressor was capable of drawing enough air through a 67mm opening to prodcue that kind of power, the turbo would probably have exploded long before it could move any where near that much air due to rotational speeds, and loads.
But if we keep dropping the backpressure with larger hotsides . . . Wait a minute, suddenly I'm having serious deja vu!

I'm curious where you are getting that.
I am curious as well.

I broke it out like this:

One cubic foot of air at STP = 0.0807 lbs.

390cfm = 23,400 cfh of air

23,400 cfh = 1888 lb/hr of air

(1888 lb/hr) / (12.5 AFR) = 151 lb/hr fuel (estimates)

(151 lb/hr) / (0.45 lb/hr/bhp) = 335bhp (and one can see this is a highly liberal estimate)

Apparently, the 390cfm figure is only a rating at a standard pressure drop. The engine can create a much larger vacuum than what was used to calculate the rating, and therefore, the orifice will flow much more air than 390cfm.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

I'm curious where you are getting that. Based on a very simple equation, 390/1.45= 268.9hp. By your estimate the 600cfm stock turbo should make 1241.4 hp. I guess we are all wasting our time putting bigger turbo on when the stock one is so capable
Turbos are lbs/min...not cfm.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe that you can measure the flow of air with either unit, it doesn't really matter. Although when using CFM (cubic feet per minute) you have to specify the temperature and pressure since the volume of air is dependent on these variables. With PPM (pounds per minute) there isn't any need for variables to be specified because the weight of air is always the same regardless of the temperature or pressure. Alot of engineers use both of these units when specifying turbo parameters.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Aug 8, 2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Just in! We are now offering these kits in a coated/standard bearing package at crazy low pricing. The kits are $3390 shipped to your front door in that configuration! More details are available here - HPF Turbo Kits Special!

As always I'm happy to answer any and all questions you may have regarding the turbo kits or any of the other products in the HorsepowerFreaks Evo product lineup, just contact me by phone, IM or PM.

Tom
1-866-HPF-5600 x 104
AIM: HPF Tom