Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2nd gear grind

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gear grind

Just what the title says. I was on the track tonite, and going from a 20 roll I brake boosted, and took off when I hit it to second it grinded. Didnt have the same problem going into any other gear. Just first to second. Any constructive input is welcome. Im gonna get some syncroshift tomorrow and change the tranny fluid. Hoping that will fix the problem but im looking for other ideas. Transmission is completly stock, stock clutch, stock shifter bushings, stock everything. Im not sure if the fluid has ever been changed, but the car was babied so ill get it changed tomorrow. Could it maybe be the gear syncro, or the clutch? Thanks again for the help.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did it happen just once or is it consistent?
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

It happened the first time, then on the track we did the same run again and it happened a second time. Im about to go out and try a couple more to see if it happenes again.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, i just did 4 1st to 2nd pulls, only ground on one of them. When I shifted how i normally do when racing I ground (a quick jab at the clutch and shift just pushing it in enough to disengage fully) The three pulls i didnt grind it i pretty much floored the clutch and hit the shift, it was a little choppy but didnt grind at all. Im thinking this must just be old tranny fluid. Who makes syncroshift so i can pick some up tomorrow.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

I've had that issue before. Coming from a honda i was used to slamming second gear without issues, but when trying to do that with the evo i found that it would grind 2nd mostly when shift at 7000rpm. What i did was shift before hitting 7000, something like 6500rpm...doing this i never grind second gear. some cars dont grind at all, but others do...
Old Aug 2, 2006, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

pennzoil makes it.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

Pennzoil Syncroshift, thanks alot im gonna pick that up tomorrow, any idea how many quarts an evo takes, id look it up in the owners manual but i left it in my room in boca and dont have it at the dorm. Yeah, in my evo i always go first to second at about 6500, i think it was warrtalon who told me not to take it to 7k first to second.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

did you try adjusting the clutch pedal higher?
grinding second gear before the other gears is uncommon since 2nd gear has triple syncros, 3rd has double and 4th/5th has a single syncro
Old Aug 2, 2006, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

synchro gones bad. time for tranny rebuild
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by elhalisf
did you try adjusting the clutch pedal higher?
grinding second gear before the other gears is uncommon since 2nd gear has triple syncros, 3rd has double and 4th/5th has a single syncro
How does one go about this.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone have any experence with AMSoil Severe Gear SAE 75W-90 I had about three shops recommend it to me.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx

Last edited by KartaRailed; Aug 2, 2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

I have the same issue when I try to race somene, I grid 2nd all the time when i shift at the redline... is there "something wrong" with the car?

I was ready it has also something to do with engine movement and that an engine damper can fix it? how true?
Old Jan 16, 2007, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vboy425
synchro gones bad. time for tranny rebuild
Uh...No

As I stated in prior threads, 90% of 1st to 2nd grinds are due to driving style. The Evo gear box is a strong piece, but what it does NOT like is speed shifting. It seems to be finicky especially with the 1-2 shift. Try slowing your shift down a bit, making sure you are getting the tranny fully into 2nd before letting up on the clutch. Almost certain your grind will be gone.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Mine grinds all the time in 2nd only. My synchro is going bad. Changing fluids have helped it, but I have lived with it for the last 20k miles. It hasn't gotton any worse, and I won't rebuild until it does.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Well today i drove my car and I redlined it on 1st and shifter to second a little slower with very little force and it when it fine w/out grinding. I noticed that its also my fault for getting nerveous and trying to rush through the gears.

however Iam going to try the clutch engagement or adjustment - my car likes to engage at 1500 rpms and the pedal is a little close to me.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear grind