Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lost my 6th gear at the track

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2006, 03:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Lost my 6th gear at the track

Well, as the title says , I lost 6th gear at the track. All the other gears including reverse work absolutely fine.

I have never used my 6th gear at the track, I normaly use 1 through 4th and ocasionally the 5th. I launched the car very well and when I was about to shift from second to third the third wouldn't go in so I let off the gas and shifted to 4th , 5th and ultimately to 6th gear but it wouldn't engage at all.

I pulled over and had my GF shifting though all the gear. With the aid of my hand and pushing the counterweight lever located in top of the trany I can shift but the moment I put the car in neutral you can't get it in again.

Multiple of my Evo buddies were there present. I don't see nothing wrong with the shifter mechanism. A friend suggested that is perhaps one of the linkage slightly bent causing it to not go up properly.

The good things is that is not the shyncros. I don't think the internal fork is broken either, so it got to be the cable linkage of the counterweight lever linkage.

uhmm... rare

Carlos
Old Aug 20, 2006, 03:35 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man, sorry to hear that. I think the same happened to me. It sounds like the shift linkage. Not a biggie, hopefully thats all it is. GL man dealer will fix it for free
Old Aug 20, 2006, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

^^^^ LOL, I wouldn't take it to the dealer yet. I would have a look andf post some pictures and evetually I will post the fix so that I can help any other Evo MR owner out.

I think is just the linkage a bit off. You can pull on the shifter hard and still wouldn't engage.

I just came back from the track. I raced a 1000hp Twin Turbo Viper with full slicks and I put a great fight until the 1/8 mile(wait for the video, my lady filmed and my friend is editing it) then I was just dust . Ryan woon ran a 8.99@160 tonite at SIR. I took tons of pics. There was a Galant VR4 also.

Carlos
Old Aug 20, 2006, 03:42 AM
Evolved Member

did u look under at the underhood bushing?
Old Aug 20, 2006, 03:45 AM
Evolved Member

^^ not yet, it was dark and I did not even had a flashlight however I pin pointed the issue very well. The car would shift to 6th if you push the counter weight lever in top of the tranny with your hand, it wouldn't work with the shifter itself .

I am confident the mechanism affecting the 6th gear is a bit loose. The MR shifting is very precise, I am sure something has some play. I misses gears about 6 out of 10 times. My GM shyncromesh oil is now about 11000 miles old and that contributed to the misshifting in 3rd gear.

Carlos
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Carlos! what the heck did you do man?! i thought the worst when you told me on the phone, couldnt really hear ya that well....this thread is good news!! lol hope you can fix it yourself and not have to shell out any $$$ did you get any runs in or did it break the 1st time down the track? Anyway, good luck again...give me a call and let me know how it goes!
Old Aug 20, 2006, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

^^Tim,

My tranny failed miserably last night. I missed about 6 out of 10 or 11 pulls. Third gear is what started all, my shifter felt very hard, I think the tranny oil is old now.

Despite I lost the sixth gear I didn't cry like a biatch and I took my car back to the track minutes later .

I dismantled the center console and look at the shifting mechanism but every looks OK. Definately the problem is at the shifting linkage above the tranny, specifically one of the linkage isn't going high enough, it wouldn't engage even if you force it.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Aug 22, 2006 at 12:08 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
^^Tim,

My tranny failed miserably last night. I missed about 6 out of 10 or 11 pulls. Third gear is what started all, my shifter felt very hard, I think the tranny oil is old now.

Despite I lost the sixth gear I didn't cry like a biatch and I took my car back to the track minutes later .

I dismantled the center console and look at the shifting mechanism but every looks OK. Definately the problem is at the shifting linkage above the tranny, specifically one of the linkage isn't going high enough, it wouldn't engage even if you force it.

Carlos

did you ever figure out the problem?