Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

tilton problem!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2006, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry tilton problem!!!!!

i installed the tilton twin cermic about 1000 miles ago
and i have been trying to adjust this thing for a 2 weeks now. i have done everything the instructions say to do
with the 3/8 inch off the floor adjustment ,too adjusting it higher and lower and i cant seem to get it right
i am allways getting locked out of gears
i had a exedy twin and it never gave me a prob
i could no lift shift with the exedy no problem
now this tiltion is giving me a run for my money
what do i do?
anyone elese having this prob
anyone
Old Oct 9, 2006, 06:36 PM

I adjusted mine with the car up on a lift, one person trying to manually turn the driveshaft, the other person slowly depressing the clutch until it disengages. At this point, the driveshaft will easily turn. I marked a distance just 1/4 inch further (towards the floor) and added a stop at that point. This worked for me. Others seem to not adjust it at all if the original mitsu clutch stop is still in place. I personally would not risk this.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are you sure the system is properly bled? bleeding the tilton is a real pain in the ***...
Old Oct 9, 2006, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

what i did was , i took a small peace of wood stuck it in the hole it the factory pedal stop then trimed so it was prutruding 1/2 inch from the stop then i parked the car on a steep incline i put the car in 1st gear and slowley puched the clutch in with my hand untill the clutch slowley disenguage, then adjusted the clutch untill it would disenguage right when the clutch pedal would touch the lil peace of wood that was in the stop
Old Oct 10, 2006, 02:10 AM
Evolved Member

this is not , me not being able to get the car in gear when i shift normal the clutch works fine. i talking about when im shifting fast going from 1st to 2nd
and some times other gears
juse wanted to clarify
Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:09 AM

It is not supposed to be adjusted 3/8" off the floor. If you read the instructions a little closer, you are supposed to do the following:

1. Have some try rocking the car as you slowing depress the clutch pedal.
2. Once the car starts to roll, note where your pedal position is. This is the initial release point of the clutch.
3. You will need to stroke the clutch pedal another 3/8" from the initial release point. This will give you full/clean clutch release. Do not use the floor as a reference.

Tilton now offers a pedal stop that mounts directly in place of the stock pedal stop. Your Tilton dealer should be able to supply this to you.

Originally Posted by superflyevo
i installed the tilton twin cermic about 1000 miles ago
and i have been trying to adjust this thing for a 2 weeks now. i have done everything the instructions say to do
with the 3/8 inch off the floor adjustment ,too adjusting it higher and lower and i cant seem to get it right
i am allways getting locked out of gears
i had a exedy twin and it never gave me a prob
i could no lift shift with the exedy no problem
now this tiltion is giving me a run for my money
what do i do?
anyone elese having this prob
anyone
Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

what i did was , i took a small peace of wood stuck it in the hole it the factory pedal stop then trimed so it was prutruding 1/2 inch from the stop then i parked the car on a steep incline i put the car in 1st gear and slowley puched the clutch in with my hand untill the clutch slowley disenguage, then adjusted the clutch untill it would disenguage right when the clutch pedal would touch the lil peace of wood that was in the stop
If you adjusted it to that point then you are likely overstroking it by 1/8 inch. Adjust the clutch another 1/8" or do the same adjustment with a piece of wood that protrudes only 3/8" and see if that helps.

-Paul
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PVD04
If you adjusted it to that point then you are likely overstroking it by 1/8 inch. Adjust the clutch another 1/8" or do the same adjustment with a piece of wood that protrudes only 3/8" and see if that helps.

-Paul
i dont think a 1/8th inch is gonna over stroke it
Old Oct 10, 2006, 02:29 PM

You would be suprised.

Due to their smaller diameter, Tilton clutches have a shorter release window that OE clutches. The release window (at the diaphragm spring) is .185" - .215" for Tilton clutches, the OE clutch is about .375" - .400".

If the clutch is over-storked, the clutch begin to re-engage again. This will cause drag on the discs... and the drag effect increases with RPM (more friction).

The only way to accurately find the release point of the clutch is to follow Tilton's instruction for setting the pedal stop.

Old Oct 10, 2006, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe not enough to cause problems during normal driving, but maybe just enough that it can affect aggressive driving. That may not be the problem at all, but it is one spot that you deviate from the adjustment parameters and I would consider it a good place to start.

-Paul
Old Oct 10, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

These are very touchy to bleed. You may think the clutch resovior is the same as the brake, but its not. Its in the back corner of the brake res. You can barely see the fluid go down, and it doesnt take much to be sucking air again. I went through the same thing you did on a friends install till i figured out i was waiting too long to refil the brake res.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

im starting to think it is the tranny