Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch problem...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2006, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and the flywheel is only a couple pounds lighter but the sound is very loud at times.... like a normal chatter but times 10... and only on decel
Old Nov 5, 2006, 01:43 PM

yeah, when i had my exedy any time i pulled off the gas it was an obnoxious almost grinding sound.... have you adjusted your clutch pedal and changed your tranny fluid?? other than that i'd probably contact exedy..... also you should record the sound and post it here (and for exedy)...
Old Nov 5, 2006, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

when ya find out what it is, post it. i am just curious about what the problem may be. i also have read that when the flywheel is lighter it can cause some issues, i know there are plenty of other evos out there with light flywheels and upgraded clutches with 0% problems
if this helps ya , my friend 05 MR got an exedy twin installed along with a new heavy duty flywheel with the same weight as the OEM flywheel and no problems,he also had a friend from mitsu install it.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

i adjusted my pedal and changed the tranny fluid.... could it possibly be a warped flywheel?? its new but maybe??
Old Nov 5, 2006, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you tighten the flywheel bolts to spec and use thread locker? I suspect it is normal but, with a stock disc I'm not sure. An easy chec for you to do is take the flywheel cover off by the oil pan just under the downpipe. You will be able to check if the flywheel of clutch is loose.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

I have an Exedy clutch and lightened flywheel(10.5 lbs.) and my car is extremely noisy on decel and I believe that it is the transfercase, sounds like a differential noise and I don't think anything with the clutch assembly itself could make that kind of noise. In my case that is, from what you are describing it sounds exactly like my car. Although when I heard the same noise, much quieter before I changed my transfer fluid. I bought my car used and put the clutch in a few weeks later, I changed all fluids at that time. The transfer fluid was very dirty. The viscous couplings are junk and are pretty much disposable, I will be putting a Quaiffe LSD in very soon and maybe it will remedy the noise.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just installed the stage 1, reused flywheel. The clutch wants to grab when the OEM clutch would slip during easy starting like up a curve to a driveway. When I pulled in my driveway my car stalled up the curve so the second time I accidentally peel out up the curb and smell clutch - what a way to break it in.

I noticed the same jerking forward symptom - like grab, grab, grab while trying to slip for everyday starts. I also got a slightly louder whine (I like) when using engine to slow car down. However if I place car to neutral it is much quieter than stock.

I am very happy so far, now I got to finish breaking it in
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Just installed the stage 1, reused flywheel. The clutch wants to grab when the OEM clutch would slip during easy starting like up a curve to a driveway. When I pulled in my driveway my car stalled up the curve so the second time I accidentally peel out up the curb and smell clutch - what a way to break it in.

I noticed the same jerking forward symptom - like grab, grab, grab while trying to slip for everyday starts. I also got a slightly louder whine (I like) when using engine to slow car down. However if I place car to neutral it is much quieter than stock.

I am very happy so far, now I got to finish breaking it in
so im guessing its pretty normal with this clutch?? but the rattling sound is pretty disturbing
Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

I have no Idea if it's normal but on mine it sure isn't likely the install. Clutch works fine, I'm just having trouble starting from a standstill, I have to dump it at 1800rpm or else it just jerks the engine around and I get nowhere. Hope this thing breaks in and smooths out.

If this isn't normal I would saw my pressure plate was dropped or something

Is this rattling sound like barbell plates? I get that in reverse but thats it
Old Nov 6, 2006, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Idriveevo, are you getting clutch smell from just trying to take off easy - like at drivethrough

Anyone else, Is this normal? Clutch is the stage 1 (single carbon with 6 tiny springs)

Anyone?

It's impossible to back up into a parking spot , becomes worst with a turn. I tried doing a real mild slip just barely letting it start to contact plate and FW surfaces and it will grab at first, start making a scraping noise, then start to shake and rattle everything including my patients and then start to stink as if I just launched

Has 150 miles on it, will it break in eventually, or just remain a $390 POS? thanks
Old Nov 6, 2006, 09:53 PM

it will ease out a lot after about 500 miles..... when i first had my act in i broke the tires loose stalling cause it grabbed so hard and the pedal was almost impossible to push in....... now it's not bad at all..... i can even idle it out without using the gas in 1st.... just takes some finess cause it is still a really grippy clutch...... probably making my left leg muscular..... lol.... but i'd worry about a smell.... i've never really had bad smells from clutches (except the stock one)...... though, if it's an organic that might be normal, i don't really know there cause the 2 clutches i've had after stock have been cerametallic....
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

I believe a stiffer lower motor mount will dramatically help out

I had terrible shudder and chatter when taking off after my exedy twin install. Installed a powerflex motor mount and it helped so much. best mod i ever did to car!
Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:24 AM

i hav exedy stage 1 clutch with resurfaced flywhell
no problems watsoever taking off an it works great, feels much mor confident than stock
the grinding noise is present when decelerating in gear, foot off gasbut comon everyone here shud know that its standard with aftermarket high pressure clutches an thers nothing u can do about it other than get used to it an know that its not hurtin yer car, jus yer ears
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

idriveaevo, I was able to 100% fix my clutch problems by adjusting pushrod on pedal (two turns, pedal to floor/pushrod to aft)
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
idriveaevo, I was able to 100% fix my clutch problems by adjusting pushrod on pedal (two turns, pedal to floor/pushrod to aft)

Come help me with mine..... lol

Quick Reply: clutch problem...